Awkward Family Story

May 4th, 2009

When I was 10 years old, my parents took us on vacation to a water park. I told my dad I had to go to the bathroom; he pointed to a building and let me go in by myself. When I got in, I noticed there were no urinals, and none of the stalls had toilets in them. Confused, I went into a stall anyway, pulled the curtain closed behind me, and did my business all over the floor. When I got out, we started walking away when another man with his son asked my dad if we knew of any bathrooms nearby. My dad pointed to the building that I had just exited. The man said, “No, that’s just a dressing room to change in and out of bathing suits.” My Dad said that was not true, as I had just used the bathroom in there. The other man insisted and my father started to get angry, “Are you calling my son a liar?” My Dad told the man we would all go in together to prove my innocence. Despite my objections, the four of us went in and when my Dad whipped open the curtain to the first stall…

Awkward.

-Kevin, North Smithfield, RI

49 Responses to “Awkward Family Story”

1. Nixa says:

My dad would have yelled at me for that

2. Gary says:

Brought a tear to my eye as I was laughing so hard.

3. erica says:

that is so funny! now my stomach hurts lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Carol says:

Hey, there are 2 carols posting on here. Oh well, like it matters.

5. Carol says:

HAHAHAHA!

6. Kira says:

Yet another reason I’m glad I’m a girl….

7. Kate says:

I love it. Thank you, that made me laugh. I’m going to read it again.

8. Jennifer says:

This reminds me of a time when I was 5 and my family was at a lake. I had to pee really bad and my mom didn’t want to take me to the bathroom so she said, “Just go in the lake.” (I know, gross, right?) So, I thought, “Okay, I’ll go right here.” However, the water where I was standing was only up to my knees! Everyone was pointing and staring at me and laughing. Awkward! My mom whacked her forehead with her palm and shook her head in shame. Yeah, like I knew any better, I was peeing in a lake for, goodness sakes!

9. Roweena says:

Why would you go all over the floor? That’s just stupid.

• Zucchini Queeni says:

With a dad like that, which is more traumatic: peeing on the floor, or having to come out and tell Dad there’s no toilet and probably getting yelled at in front of everyone for not agreeing with him, and ending up peeing your pants in the process?? Roweena, are you the grandmother?

• cathy says:

I am the mother of a 10yr old boy….that’s not stupid, that’s just 10 yr old logic.

10. heidi says:

I used to work at a daycare in Louisiana. In the hall there is a large metal trough sink that is really low for small children to wash they’re hands before lunch. My son came with me to work while he was out of school for the summer. I was busy feeding a group when one of the other teachers found me to tell me thay had just passed through the hall and that I should go see what my son was doing there. I walked up on my son pants around his ankles peeing in the sink while a class of small kids waited to wash they’re hands for lunch. I couldn’t say anything. I just laughed because his school had a similar urinal. We did have to explain to the other little boys that they couldn’t pee in the sink too.

• Lil says:

I seriously hope you sanitized that sink. If your kid was school age, he certainly should know that a urinal wouldn’t be in the middle of the hallway – and you should have said something to him in private.

11. gary says:

good thing he didn’t send you into an adult video store

12. twotulips says:

Beautiful.

13. Cherry says:

OUCH !

14. Jamie says:

Was this water park Westport Waterslides, by any chance?

15. Patricia says:

Vocês estao de parabens com este site, e concerteza vai fazer muito sucesso. Porque é muito engraçado. Parabéns.

16. ulysses says:

This story is beautiful on so many levels. I know what it feels like to be a 10-year-old kid without the confidence to doubt your parent’s declaration. He said it was the bathroom and you believed him – with or without a toilet.

17. Bex says:

That’s hilarious….. I am peeing myself as I write this…. LOL

18. Christina says:

Love it!

19. girly from NS says:

oh boy! I don’t know what makes me more proud to be from North Smithfield, you peeing in a dressing room or your dad getting angry at the other man. hmmmmm….gotta love it

20. JimBob says:

I once walked into a park restroom to see a little boy with his butt hiked up into the urinal, takin’ a poo…Talk about awkward!

21. Scott K says:

I have an embarrassing family story too. When I was a kid, we would go to the Florida State Fair every February. Well the fair was moved to it’s current and permanent location. The first year it opened, no all of the toilets were installed, so the men and boys peed in this huge round stone “urninal” with a steel bar on the bottom to “flush”.

The next year when my brother and I had to go the bathroom at the fair, we headed into the men’s room at sauntered up to the big round communal urinal. Well evidently we discovered, mid-stream that the toilets and wall urinals were all installed now, and we were peeing in the communal sink!

22. Jim says:

There was this time when I was about 12 and we were traveling in our travel trailer. We stopped at a campground for the night. I went to shower at the shower building. As I was showering, I drained my lizard. Someone outside began pounding on the door. A guy that worked at the campground was shouting at me to get out of the shower. He made me take him to my parents so that he could berate me in front of them. My dad just shrugged. Awkward.

I later began to wonder how the guy knew. Either he was looking over the top of the stall or he was sitting in a room with transparent pipes observing the color of the water coming through the drains.

23. Sarah says:

LMAO! If they ever do another “American Pie”. this could be a flashback scene for Jason Biggs’ character! That was the first thing I thought of!

24. John says:

thats awesome….your dad and my dad sound like the same person, they should meet….in hell.

25. John Dough says:

It was awkward thanks to your macho confrontational prick of a father.

26. Diggity says:

Oh man! That was YOU?

27. Erika says:

And that’s why you should always wear flip-flops in such places.

28. taylor says:

Unless it was #2, I’ve never used a bathroom at a pool.

29. OMG… I think I just wet my pants….

30. midsentence says:

yes sir, rhode island represent

31. Untergeek says:

I think that’s one of the funniest awkward moments I’ve read yet. I’d love to have seen the look on your dad’s face when he saw what happened.

• Terry says:

Ummm.. where’s the picture? hehe.. I remember when I was a kid, I ran into a public bathroom, and saw the urinals on the walls, I thought they were bathtubs for babies! haha!

• aimeeintx says:

My local beach had a beach house and I did the same thing. I was about 5 and couldn’t find the toliet.

32. Intelligence required says:

If only all fathers could be as loving…

33. Kitty says:

Eeeeeeeewwww

34. August says:

That’s… comforting Taylor. Thank you.

35. August says:

This sounds more like an awkward dream than reality. Poor 12 year old you, Jim, that is really very creepy.

36. Carol says:

He could SMELL it.

37. August says:

A really nice but awkward kid in my elementary did this too- the incident became more complicated by the fact that the sink was in a unisex area of the bathroom. I sympathized, the whole bathroom was more than a bit confusing. If you’re going to make a sink that looks like a communal toilet it’s really your responsibility to post directions for easily confused children.