Awkward Family Story: Funeral Faux Pas

June 28th, 2009

At my great-Uncle’s funeral my uncle (my great-uncle’s nephew) was talking to his cousin ( the daughter of the deceased) outside of the church. His cousin was holding a small wooden box and after a few minutes, my uncle noticed it looked like she was having a hard time holding it, so he said, “Well, I’ll let you go inside and dump your load” to which she replied, “It’s dad.” Awkward.

(submitted by Samantha)

36 Responses to “Awkward Family Story: Funeral Faux Pas”

1. Bruce says:

Ashes-to-asses, dust-to-dust.

2. scott19335 says:

This story was a little awkward.

3. Larry N says:

If you want awkward try to be serious on a military funeral team when 90% of the preachers never met the dead guy.They weave such a web of lies and made up stuff and the folks behind you are asking Who’s he talking about?One funeral the rev was painting the deceased as father of the year and one lady kept saying I never knew that bastard worked or paid child support.She finally started to the casket talking loudly about going to see who was being buried.

4. IAmNoOne says:

He’s not heavy, he’s my father.

5. Michelle says:

I need the stories. They offer my eyes a necessary break from the awkwardness.

6. NuttyMom says:

Maybe he was trying to be facetious?

7. David says:

Honestly, if you thought this was confusing, you should stick to the pictures. If you don’t like the stories you should (a) write in for a refund, and (b) skip them.

• Señor_Citizen says:

(c) refer back to your trusty compound bow.

• Kristi says:

I agree, the story was not confusing to anyone above a 4th grade reading level. As for removing the stories, no one is forcing you to read them (or comment on them). All you have to do is scroll past anything with a large number of words and no photo.

This story, however, is extremely awkward. I mean really, what else could possibly be in the box?

8. Melba says:

You need a flow chart to figure out who’s who and who’s in the box!

9. Melinda says:

The manner in which the story is told is more awkward than the story itself.

10. boatingirl says:

Anonymous – May I suggest you just skip over the stories if you do not like to read them? Some of us think they are hilarious.

11. How about the pilot who wanted to be buried “in the air” so family took his small plane up, and when it was time, opened the hatch. Crosswinds blew him into the plane instead of ouot and the entire interior and it’s occupants were now covered in “daddy dust”. Holy dust mites!

12. Lisa says:

oh, come on, I love these stories!

• Liam says:

I find some of them pretty amusing if not awkward, tho I do think referring to the deceased as ‘your load’ is pretty cringeworthy.

13. Laura says:

Yes. That would be awkward. Is there an ‘Awkward Family Stories’ website it could feature on?

Keep the stories to a minimum unless they’re absolute cringers or if they have a photo to go with them.

14. Wendy says:

How stupid do you have to be to see a wooden box at a funeral and not realize that it’s the deceased?

• TJ says:

Agreed. Seems contrived and awkwardly written.

• juliet says:

contrived? I’ve done that by accident twice now.
        hopefully it will soon become a tradition

• juliet says:

i stand corrected. you only say, “dump your load” if you’re trying to be funny.
          apart from that, great site.
          (it is awkward though when you accidentally knock the ashes off the shelf… I manaaged to scoop up most of them before anyone noticed)

15. anonymous says:

This is a great blog, but it gets rather annoying/boring to see so many stories on here. I think they are nice once and a while, but it’s becoming rather annoying. This is awkward family PHOTOS and I’m sure that there could easily be a different blog who just want to read stuff. I might see some value in stories told by the authors of the blog (with accompanying photos!), but this just doesn’t do much for me.

16. Peter says:

Took me awhile, but wow… BTW the thing reads like a riddle

• oya says:

It does read like a riddle. And I don’t know what was awkward about this story…? Hmm.. confused. oh well.

• TJ says:

Yah, I wasn’t sure which was the awkward part of the email–the events listed, or the way it was written!

• Dan says:

I just wasted two minutes of my life reading this three times. There is nothing awkward about this story and too much information to tell it.

17. Señor_Citizen says:

I see nothing awkward about this story at all.
    My mother often referred to my father as “The Load”.

18. Anna says: