Awkward Family Story: Dad Humor

June 30th, 2009

My boyfriend’s car had broken down, so my dad had kindly offered to come and pick us up. On the way home, there was a group of Galah’s on the road up ahead. In a serious voice dad says, “Kids, hold on tight, we’re going to jump to inter-galah-tic travel.” My boyfriend just looked at my dad, then at me. I could offer no explanation besides, “Dad Joke.” Awkward.

(submitted by Bree)

Tags: ,

95 Responses to “Awkward Family Story: Dad Humor”

1. Soquel says:

I thought the dad was funny! But then again I have a boss who tells silly jokes like this 100 times a day..

2. Fenderfodder says:

This was great! I am fortunate enough to have a daughter that appreciates my “awkward” sense of humor…although it often annoys mom…

3. Hah. My dad would make lame jokes all the time. Except I was being embarassed in front of my girlfriends. My girlfriends always thought my dad was so funny thou. My dad just really enjoyed torturing me mercilessly.

4. Debra says:

I am glad to know I’m not the only one with a dad that tells horrible jokes, the funny thing is, now that I’m married my husband and my father get along great, he even laughs at some of his jokes! I definitely do remember being embarrassed especially as a teenager because of my dads jokes.

5. Kid Kolob says:

Don’t you see, we find it funny because we are very old (not a teen). The teens don’t find it funny because they are young, making them much cooler than us.

6. Liz says:

hahha, I would have laughed at that joke, actually. My dad cracks some pretty bad dad jokes too but I’ve never thought it to embarrassing when I’m with friend’s. I don’t understand why that was so awkward. Was the narrator an easily embarrassed 15 year old who thought the guy wasn’t gonna like her because her dad cracked a little joke?

7. Jaime says:

Hey, I thought that was punny….

8. MJ says:

Bad jokes are a dad thing. My dad tells the worst jokes.

9. R says:

It IS awkward. It is a lame joke.

10. Jenny says:

That sounds exactly like the kind of joke my Dad would make.

11. Anna says:

That is not awkward.
    That’s amazing.
    Lighten up.

12. Wink says:

In case anyone didn’t know, a Galah is an Australian bird, or an acronym for Gay and Lesbian Humanists.

13. ~Dune!~ says:

Oddly enough, had I known what a Galah was to begin with, I’d have found the joke to be funny even as a “cool” teenager. My mother made these sort of jokes non-stop when I was a child, and the family would actually collect pun jokes to see who could come up with the biggest “groaner”. We passed a LOT of boring car trips that way.
    And no, it probably wouldn’t have gotten any laughs from us kids even though it was appreciated, more likely a “WAH, WAH, WAAAAAH….”

14. Erin says:

Bwhahahaha! that’s a brilliant joke!

15. Errrr!!! says:

LOL! Great dad!!!

16. pplzizcrazy says:

No, not awkward, generally. Definitely for a teenager trying to impress a boy but cut the kid some slack. We all go through that phase.

To those of you accusing the girl and her friend of being humorless, let me say this. I can see how reading just this ONE joke, you might find it amusing. I can say from experience, though, that when you have a dad who’s constantly making “groaners” like this one (and many much lamer), it gets a bit wearying. Especially when he thinks the reason everyone’s groaning and not laughing is that they don’t get it, so he repeats it several more times. Even my young nieces go, “that’s a papa joke!”

My family has a sense of humor; my dad’s jokes just rarely qualify as such.

17. Ale says:

Bwahahaha! I would hate to bird-en you with more puns, but as I cannot resist…
    As an Aussie, I have to say it sounds like there’s a few galahs leaving comments lol.

18. monkey says:

sorry, this FAILS the ‘Awkward Test’ miserably b/c it’s pretty darned funny. kids are so preoccupied with worrying about their parents being an embarassment that they fail to see that they are, at times, an embarrassment to the parent. sad, but true.

19. notpicperfect says:

The comments reminded me of my son when I make a dad joke “Hold on… feeling something….almost……(beats on his chest)….Ha…..there ya go”

20. rosko says:

Crikey, what a bunch of galahs. Few with a sense of humour, less who know what a galah looks like. Stone the bloody crows! ;)

Oh, and nothing wrong with the Dad’s joke; the teens are witless (and nothing new there!)

21. Euphio says:

After reading this story I’d much rather hang out with the Dad then the humourless daughter and her equally humourless boyfriend.

However, I’d prefer even the daughter to the dim commenters who repeatedly asked what a galah was even though someone very kindly explained in the first comment. Geez.

• H13 says:

well, being an ignorant, drunken, absolutely boorish american, I didn’t want to read through 60- odd comments to find out. Since the comments are posted newest first the first comment made would be the last to be read.

22. jane says:

I’m Australian, so I’ll skip the ‘what’s a galah’ question. The dad wasn’t awkward — he was funny. Even if it’d been *my* dad I would’ve laughed. These kids (they could only be 15, right?) are totally awkward, trying to impress each other with ‘omg soooooo not funny’ stares.

The story: more annoying than awkward. Boo.

23. 45TR1D says:

Yes, a galah is a bird. they aren’t the brightest of birds either. Goes well with dad’s daggy joke (btw, daggy = uncool)