Awkward Family Story: The Puzzle

July 2nd, 2009

When I was first getting to know my fiance, he had mentioned he didn’t know who his father was until he was 5. Because his mom had remarried while he was very young. As I thought about it, I asked him, “Did you ever question why you had a different last name?” He said, “Nope, because my grandfather had the same last name as me.” So I asked “Well, he’s your grandfather on your mother’s side right?” (meaning that he had his mothers madien name)
He said “Well, sorta” I asked for him to explain. He made me promise not to laugh. So I agreed. He then went on to tell me, “It’s my mother’s mom, see my mother’s father died 2 days after she was born, so she remarried.” I was confused now. How did he have his grandfathers last name if it wasn’t his mother’s father? Well, as he went on to explain, while his mother and birthfather were dating, his mother’s mom and his father’s dad fell in love. So after his mother and birthfather got divorced. His mother’s mom and father’s dad got married. Meaning, His parents are also Step brother and Sister. How awkward.

(submitted by Kathleen)

151 Responses to “Awkward Family Story: The Puzzle”

1. Jamie says:

Something similar happened in my family. My grandmother, Margaret, married my grandfather Lee. Her brother, Bobby, married a woman named Lisa. My grandparents had my father and his two brothers, and Bobby and Lisa had three children also. After all of the children were adults, some even married with their own families, my grandparents divorced. At the same time, Bobby and Lisa divorced. After the divorces were final, my grandfather married Lisa. There’s a reason for all that happening, and you can figure it out if you just think about it for a second. Anyways, since my grandfather married my aunt, my father’s cousins become his step-brothers and step-sister also. It’s actually a joke in our family now, they make jokes about being rednecks and that always comes up when they do.

2. Shiloh says:

Not really a big deal. My mother and father are step-brother and sister as well, and they were married AFTER my father’s dad married my mother’s mom. The weirdest thing about all four of them was the age differences… my grandfather was 20 years older than my grandmother, and my father was 20 years older than my mother. It’s not like they were raised as brother and sister or anything. They didn’t even meet until my mother was 19 years old. And yes- I suffered the fate of the family tree meeting in the middle for an elementary school project. And the subsequent red-kneck jokes.

3. Suzanne says:

The most awkward part is when the Daughter’s Daughter had to make a family tree for school.

• StraightUpG19 says:

YES! my family is that way, and i got soooooo confused in the 1st grade when i had to make one. The saddest part about mine, is that my moms dad and my dads mom cheated on their spouses with each other!!!!

4. J says:

We have a similar situation in my family–my aunt and uncle introduced her mother to his father after they were married. They hit it off and got married, so my aunt and uncle are technically stepbrother and stepsister. To add another layer to the confusion, though, both my aunt and her mother have the same first name, and my uncle and his father have the same first name as well. All four lived in the same town–talk about confusing!

5. Timb says:

My head just exploded and my leg fell off.

6. Loryn says:

Sadly this happened to my bf’s family.twice.
    no lie, his moms father dated is dad’s mom and then when my bfs mom got prego with him they moved to iowa where she started to date her husband (my bfs step dad) and his grandpa married his stepdads mom.

so…yeah

7. Julie says:

I thought it was confusing when my mother married my uncle (my Dad’s Brother-in-law) and all my cousins because step-siblings, and I live in Wisconsin, not the deep South!

8. Kels says:

Sounds just like my dad’s family. Here’s the story, as simply as possible: My dad’s parents got divorced. My dad’s brother fell in love with a girl, and got engaged. My dad’s father fell in love with the girl’s divorced mother. My dad’s father and the girl’s mother got married just months before their children’s wedding. My dad’s brother and the girl went ahead and got married anyway. So, technically, they were step-brother and sister when they got married. Yea, AWKWARD.
    I always thought this was a unique situation, but, judging from the other comments here, it’s not as uncommon as it would seem.

9. j_bryon says:

Cue: “I’m My Own Grandpa”

10. meghan says:

my mom used to work with a woman that told everyone in the office how she had a daughter with her husband and a son with her father-in-law. so her son is his sister’s uncle. my mom didn’t know why she would want to tell people about that

11. Jade says:

Sounds familiar. There are dozens of such situations in my family tree. Making normal genealogy software deal with my family is a pain for both me and the software. Just to give you an idea:

I get my last name from my father, like most people. However I get the bloodline *ONLY* from my mother.

• Angie says:

“However I get the bloodline *ONLY* from my mother.” I’m confused … ONLY from your mother? What did she do — spawn you? (Because if that’s possible, I totally want to do it to have my own kid …)

• Jade says:

By bloodline I mean the bloodline associated with my surname, which normally would come from one’s father. Short explaination: My father is adopted, so while I get the surname from him, I get no associated bloodline/genes from him. On the other hand, my parents’ grandparents were siblings. So I get a diluted portion of the bloodline/genes associated with my surname through my mother, and only my mother.

(If you think that’s awkward, figure this one out: All the boys on my dad’s [adopted] mother’s side of the family were Feamales)

12. Anonymous says:

For a week I dated the son of my father’s soon-to-be-ex fiancee *Note: No blood relation

13. Franklin says:

He’s his own cousin! Just like me!! My mom’s mom and my dad’s dad were married AFTER my parents got married…whenever I explain it to people, they ask me if it’s legal…the answer is yes.

14. Rufus says:

I’m not from West Virginia, can I have a diagram please.

15. ken says:

well in my town there is a family that switched husbands… and they are all 4 teachers

16. Taylor says:

I’m sorry, what?

17. Sarah says:

And I am my own Grandpa.

18. Jan says:

Well, at least you promised not to laugh.

19. Amy says:

This happened to my cousins. They were married, their parents met, and were also married. Not that weird..

20. Janet says:

wait a minute………….who’s on first again?

21. Bend Beanies says:

Wait. So technically, any of the people who got married may have been “step” but not blood related? No biggie. Well, I wouldn’t do it, but just sayin’…
    How about the many families where a sibling marries one of their siblings ex’s, so then the kids are half half-cousins, half half-siblings? now that’s awkward. Happened in Michael Jackson’s family, too, I just read.

22. Michelle says:

That was really confusing.

23. Lilly says:

My mom’s aunt married my dad’s oldest brother. They have a daugther Simone. I call her my cousaunt.

24. Erica says:

I seriously could have written this about my ex-husband. Exactly the same situation and always freaked me out.

25. awesome says:

Short Version: My Husband’s parents are also Step-Siblings. Awkward!

26. GNWpsycho says:

So what I want to know is, did you actually end up marrying him?

27. Pike says:

…sounds like a simple case of compound beaux.

28. LMR says:

Thank God no one tried to play the game “Six Degrees Of Separation”. I’m no math genius, but I think six degrees would increase exponentially by the time the story was done being told. Damn!

29. Kimberly says:

Reading “The DaVinci Code” did not sufficiently prepare me to decipher this story.

• Terrie says:

And the Oscar goes to Kimberly for best achievement in ironic writing.
      This response really made me laugh out loud.

30. Cat says:

These stories are lame. Unamusing. Please stick to photos.

31. Ma says:

This happens all the time. My father and my uncle married sisters. My cousins are practically siblings to me!

32. Matt says:

on my father’s side of the family, his parents were step brother and sister. each of the grand parents opposite parents died and the remaining great grand parents married. that made them step brother and sister. they were teenagers when it happened. and to confuse the family even more, the newly made couple had a son that was half brother to both of my grand parents.

don’t forget, it was 80 years ago in rural nowhere.

33. Frank says:

Terrible writing. You forget to laugh because you’re trying so hard to decipher it.

34. Laura says:

Thanks, my brain just exploded from the confusing faux awkwardness.

35. Lauren says:

Actually… this has me really confused. I thought the dad died two days after he was born.. But they got a divorce? Someone please make this a little more clear for me.

36. Rachel says:

The writing was far more awkward than the story itself.

37. Earl says:

If you don’t think this can happen you haven’t been around the block or experienced real life. This story pales to my life.

38. RockitQueen says:

This sounds like a VC Andrews novel.

39. GSU says:

So wait…. who is bring the turnip casserole?

40. Hannelina says:

In my family, my maternal great-grandfather and his widowed dad married sisters, making…one hell of a mess in our family tree!

(For instance, my maternal grandparents are also cousins b/c of this. Oh, and I’m named after the younger of the sisters, btw.)

41. Meh Mehndelsohn says:

Not interesting enough to suffer through the convoluted writing style.

• Hannelina says:

Basically, she’s saying this: His maternal grandmother married his paternal grandfather, making his mother and his father into step-siblings.

42. Stacey says:

Makes me think of Greg and Marcia Brady and the fact that Barry White went on a date with Florence Henderson. Yeah….(sigh)

43. Chris says:

Story of my life! And I am not even kidding!!!

44. Susan says:

Sentence fragments. Make it more. Confusing.

45. Billy Madison says:

These stories are junk, and conjured out of thin air.

46. Jim says:

I just suffered a huge anxiety attack after reading that. Thanks a lot… Expect to be hearing from my lawyers soon. And you are also going to be required to pay for my medical bills (E.R. processing, EKG & CT Scan, plus meds). The CT scan was to ensure I wasn’t stroking.

Please remit payment to: