Awkward Family Story: The Drive-By

July 9th, 2009

I got my first car at 16. The next morning I wanted to drive it to school. So I got in my car and drove to school. When I looked in my rearview mirror my dad was following me! I pulled into the parking lot of my high school and my dad pulled in too. I was parking when my dad honked the horn at me. All my friends and the other kids were staring at me and my dad. My dad got out of his car, told me that I wasn’t parking right, got in my car and parked my car in my high school parking lot in front of all the teens looking on. Then he got back in his car and drove away! Very Awkward.

(submitted by Cheryl)

58 Responses to “Awkward Family Story: The Drive-By”

1. Tosh says:

Okay that beats my Mom yanking the steering wheel out of my 27 year old hands because “You were just too close to the cars” on the side of the road.

I had barely pulled out, wasn’t even doing 10 mph yet and the road was narrow because of alll the cars on both sides; yeah I had control of the car. Laid down the law then and there and she kept her hands to herself from then on..

2. cheryl says:

The best part is now my son is going to turn 16 and start driving. I totally feel like I want to follow him! Isn’t that creepy? (I will try my best not to though)

3. Marilyn says:

My best friend and I decided to skip school one day. So we took my car, the 1972 Cutlass that my dad had completely rebuilt for me, and as we are driving down a random street in Lincoln, NE guess who turns the corner and follows us to our destination for unallowed off campus lunch…Yep, Daddy! He didn’t stop but when I got home he asked me if I had permission from my mom to be out of school and naturally I couldn’t lie so I said no. He didn’t punish me, he told my mom on me and I got in grounded the week before our graduation.

4. Dianne says:

My mom followed me to school the first week I had my license. I thought that was bad. Thank god she never got out of the car and tried to talk to me!!! Humiliating!!

5. craftegirl says:

LOL!!! not awkward, very funny…. sucks to be you!

6. Tim says:

LOL

“He followed her to school one day, school one day, school one day…”

7. Ari says:

Was he wearing inappropriately short shorts, a worn t-shirt and slippers too?!

8. Sal says:

By any chance, is your Dad Marney? The Marney knows kids can’t do anything right.

9. Krysia says:

I have a friend whose parents were the epitome of “overprotective” when we were teens/young adults. On our prom night, all of us met up at someone’s house so we could take a limo all together. As the limo pulled out of the driveway, my dad joked with her dad about how we would probably stay the entire time and then roll in at 2am. Her dad gasped, hopped in his car, and then drove away. My dad always makes fun of that friend’s parents for being weirdos, so he felt this was just par for the course.

At 2am when we did roll in, my dad noticed her dad driving up right behind us. He said, “Wow, you have great timing! They just got here.” And her dad said, “I know. I followed them there, stayed the whole time, and then followed them home.” When we got home, my dad said, “You know, I think your friend is just going to run off and marry the first guy she dates, just to get out of there.” And, well….

10. Leghound says:

Actually back in the ancient days we had to pay for our cars so parents didn’t worry so much about us being responsible.This is one of few stories that really are awkward.Bet it’s worth a ton of laughs since.

11. cheryl says:

Hi everyone! Nope, my dad didn’t come with me on my honeymoon and we we had our son I kicked my dad out of the room before he coud see all the “stuff” LOL! Thanks for all the sympathy though. It happened in 1990 so it was quite a while ago and I is not officially just a funny story of my youth.

12. Ali A says:

LMAO. Now that’s awkward… and very embarrassing. When I first got my car, at 18, I didn’t have my license the first month. So, my dad let me drive to and from school. The first day I got to drive back home, he pulled in.. decided it wasn’t good enough, tried again.. and scratched up both my car and some girl’s old VW Bug. D:

13. What in the World? says:

The only thing wrong with this story is that the dad should have parked, waited for his child to go inside and then repark – everyone wins. :)

14. Lacie says:

Not as awkward as it is mortifiying. You poor thing you!

15. cheryl says:

You’re dad is a little like Edward Cullen…. following behind you silently but surely in the parent-mobile, immediately fixing every little problem….but you know, Edward never makes a correction or honks the horn…he’d fall on the ground worshipping the unique style with which you parked your car. Shame on you dad, be more like Edward.

16. patkerash says:

And the lesson to be learned by each new driver who takes to the open road in their new wheels……let the air out of dad’s tires first

17. laughing_hard says:

Wow, now that’s so a dad move! I won’t be allowed to drive until i’m 25 because my parents don’t think I can walk and talk, let alone drive!!! (age 14 now)

18. SeƱor_Citizen says:

I see nothing wrong with this.
    Matter of fact, your Dad rocks.
    Signed,
    Another Dad

19. Hannah says:

OYG – that is too much!

20. eh says:

That SO sounds like something my dad would do!

21. BroadwayBohemia says:

Sounds like something my dad will do at some point when I start driving (I’m 15). Except I don’t get a car when I am sixteen. Or ever, except if I buy one myself.

22. Kerry says:

Keeping my fingers crossed that Cheryl’s father does not follow her on her honeymoon to offer similar useful advice, corrections, and demonstrations.

23. lexi278 says:

OH my goodness I would have been completely mortified……

24. Liz says:

I would just die of embarrassment if that ever happened to me. I’m terribly sorry. :(

25. Tocsnai says:

Awkward story from the dad’s perspective:

Somehow my daughter talked me into giving her a car when she was only 16. I spent the next two years following her around trying to keep her from killing herself or someone else.

26. Nutti95 says:

16? Isn’t that illegal?

27. Knight of Cydonia says:

That’s not so much awkward as it is completely embarrassing.

28. Melisa D. says:

Oh my God…

29. lilred says:

Sooo awesome! I love how your dad appeared out of nowhere! Such a dad move!

30. Billdave says:

Exploring the thin line between awkward and humiliating.

31. gareth says:

Ouch!

32. mandy_Reeves says:

thats a cute story! awww…sounds like my dad!

• graphicartist2k5 says:

there’s nothing “cute” about her dad making a butthead out of himself. i know he cares for her, but there comes a time when dad needs to back off, and let his little girl drive by herself and park her own car.

33. Dancin' Homer says:

my heart weeps for your 16 year old self. back off, dad!