Awkward Family Story: No Easy Listening

July 10th, 2009

My friends and I were going to go to a concert one weekend, but the night before my Dad insisted that I spend the night at his house so I could attend my younger sister’s third birthday party. Of course, my friends had to come with me.When he was driving us back to his house, he pulled out a CD and said he heard it was the hip music. It was Fergie. As the song “Fergalicious” played, we all sat in awkward silence.

As if that wasn’t awkward enough, when we got back to his house he read that there was a parental advisory on the album, and apologized to my friends if it was offensive. Not offensive, just the most awkward car ride I’ve ever experienced.

(submitted by Julia)

85 Responses to “Awkward Family Story: No Easy Listening”

1. Coli says:

That’s just as bad as when I was in HS, my friend’s dad put on “It’s getting hot in here” when we got to their house!

2. The KERNal says:

Fergalicious embarassing? Try having your dad bust out his 45′s and subjecting you and your friends to “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald”, “Ballad of the Green Berets”, “They’re Coming to Take Me Away” and the entire Monkees anthology. Twenty years later and I’m STILL laughing! My Dad is freaking AWESOME!!!!

3. psychic_hits says:

can’t believe all the admonition this girl is getting for venting about an experience that, for her, was awkward and for me, was hilarious to read about. and her age is getting harped on for no apparent reason— i’m 29 years old and i laughed out loud reading this. regardless of how this chick will feel about this particular experience later in her life, from her current point of view it sounds worthy of a moment in a good-to-excellent episode of the Simpsons to me, and i’m glad it was published.

4. bsheer says:

Just because he was trying to be sweet doesn’t make it any less awkward for the daughter. Listening to something suggestive around your DAD, with your friends around, is uncomfortable – it just is.

And why do people feel the need to judge every picture as qualifying for awkwardness or not? If they post it on their site, the moderators have decided it’s some kinda awkward – so just enjoy it or not, move on if it’s not funny to you.

5. EmGray says:

That’s not awkward at all. I find that hilarious.

6. Em says:

My (late) dad NEVER embarrassed me; he was the coolest dad, ever. We used to borrow each other’s records (he scratched the heck out of my Ted Nugent album, though). He liked The Who and I didn’t care for them, so it was kind of annoying when he’d play them full-blast. :-)

I guess things are different now… so many songs with suggestive lyrics.

7. CG13 says:

Just read the lyrics…yeah. Would’ve been awkward for me too. Not the gesture, that’s sweet. But listening to a song about how many guys want her “delicious” body with my DAD. Definitely awkward. ;)

8. Wendy says:

I have to thank my father for never using the word “hip”

9. Crystal says:

Awkward would have been if he had started singing along. Or if you and all your friends were diehard Marilyn Manson fans. I think the point of Awkward Stories is that they are timeless, make everyone cringe no matter what age. Teenagers feel awkward just having to be around their parents with their friends, that doesn’t really make an “awkward moment” in my book.

10. IAmNoOne says:

I applaud Dad. You know he was really hoping it was 50 cent.

11. Dana Duffy says:

I must admit that I, too, don’t get how this really qualifies as an awkward moment. Awkward would have been him telling you he was bringing along a date, and having it be your teacher.

12. Heather says:

Why is this awkward? You would probably be listening to this song with the same exact friends anyway. It’s weird because your Dad played it? He probably wanted to connect with you on your level. I am sure he figured you wouldn’t get “his” music. Which was most likely a heck of a lot better then Fergie….

13. Meh says:

Maybe I’d have to know the song to see why it would be awkward, but it doesn’t sound awkward. As far as your sister’s party goes… okay, fair enough, dragging your friends to a three year old’s party is probably not your idea of fun, but honestly, that’s *why* I would’ve invited friends – so I’d be able to have some mature conversation!

14. Ashley says:

Dads are dorks that’s their jobs! While I’m sure it felt awkward at the time in a few years it’ll just be nice and funny. :)

15. april says:

I remember my Mom playing “Another One Bites the Dust”,
    I was stunned that she even knew that song, I thought it was cool.

16. Julie says:

But I like Clay Aiken, lol.

17. Charlotte says:

My mom once pulled into the driver’s ed parking lot with her new CD playing- Shaggy’s “It Wasn’t Me”. A refresher on the lyrics- “But she caught me on the counter, wasn’t me. Saw me banging on the sofa, wasn’t me. I even had her in the shower, wasn’t me. She even caught me on camera, wasn’t me.” It was loud. Now I think it was hilarious. Then, it was the biggest motivator to get my gd license ever.

• emm says:

haha, i once overheard my mom–whos in her 70s–singing shaggy’s ‘angel’ just humming along and out comes ‘closer than my peeps you are to meeee.’ my friends fell out laughing!

18. Ackward says:

Yeah…it’s definitely awkward. It could have been worse, like “London Bridge” or something. But yeah, he tried. As you get older, you’ll appreciate it more and won’t care about the awkwardness as much.

19. Ali says:

I didn’t find anything awkward about this… except the girl’s reaction. BUT, I’m trying to remember what I would’ve felt like if my dad decided to sing BSB or N Sync back when I was 13. Oh wait, he did. It was hilarious. You should appreciate your father’s effort.

20. rifraf66 says:

Heck would have been awkward if he said he had some “HIP” music and put on vanilla ice or millie vanillie or something else equally irrelavent

21. laughing_hard says:

I used to like Fergalicious. It was my favorite song. But that was three years ago. If it was recent, i see what you mean.

22. Mikki says:

Seriously now, how old are you? And why is this awkward? Were you shocked at his good taste in music? My parents always listened to the same music I did growing up. My friends all thought my parents were awesome for it. It’s not as if he said it was hip music and played some Clay Aiken or something….

23. A-dub says:

What’s even more awkward is that I was in my dad’s car once by myself and turned on the CD he had been listening to and the Pussycat Dolls song “Dontcha” came on. I was uhhhh….suprised??

24. humbletron says:

At first I wasn’t too impresssed by this tale of awkwardness, but after reading it once more and getting a visual picture of people just sitting in silence while such a ridiculous song plays, I am forced to acknowledge its awkward legitimacy. However, try being in your late 20′s riding in the car alone with your dad and Neil Young’s “Old Man” comes on the radio, it creates a phenomenon known as awkward paralysis where the awkwardness is so thick you can’t speak or move to change the station.

25. KB says:

I am with the people who don’t see this as awkward. I would say awkward if Dad was singing and dancing along…

26. Tim says:

..could have been worse. Dad could have played “My Hump”.

27. Tocsnai says:

This brings up another whole class of awkward moments: the ones where someone pops in a CD (or previously a tape) and says “Listen to this, it’s the greatest EV-ER,” and then sits there watching you, waiting for you to exclaim about how wonderful it is. You are listening. They are waiting, with a big frozen smile on their face.

Car stereos were *made* for moments like that. You’re trapped, trapped with the best music EV-ER, and even if it really is great there’s this person staring at you….

28. Dancin' Homer says:

Alot of people are saying this kid’s out of line for being embarrassed. Try to remember what it’s like when you’re a teen – I know for me I was embarrassed by ALOT of what my dad did. Sure, as I got older I developed a different perspective on his actions, but AT THE TIME, with the sensibilities my freinds and I had at the time, it was awkward. And it doesn’t matter how good her dad’s intentions clearly were, if my dad followed up “Fergalicous” with an apology for the racy content, I’d want the ground to open and swallow me up. I would be thinking “Stop, stop, for the love of God just stop talking!”.
    And for the record I’ve got a 9 yr old daughter and 7 yr old son, and while I’ll try to be cool as they get older, I know it’s inevitable that I’ll end up mortifying them on occasion as well.

• Queen B says:

That’s what I was thinking. We’ve all been embarrassed by a parent at some point in our lives, and those of us who are parents, either have, or will do it to our kids. Don’t be so tough on Julia.

• Medic says:

Dancin’ Homer, I inadvertantly embarass my 15 yr old son and 12 yr old daughter daily. I can remember not too long ago I bought a Lady Gaga CD because she is getting a lot of media attention and I like to know what my kids are listening to. If any of my kids friends would have been in the car when I was listening to that CD, I would probably apologize profusely as well; not because I was embarassed about listening to the music but would be embarassed about what their friends’ parents would think about me listening to her music in front of them.

29. monkey says:

If I’m watching tv with my dad, I always think of a reason to leave the room when certain commercials come on. Or when people start going at it.

30. Señor_Citizen says:

I think I need to party with your Dad.
    And soon.

31. clocktower says:

Dorky, not awkward. Nice try.

32. Jessie says:

Aawww…your dad is clearly a sweetheart. Go give him a hug right now. Seriously. I wished I’d hugged my dad more when I was a teenager.

33. RottenGammy says:

34. that guy says:

I think in four years this wont seem near as awkward to you.

Yeah probably awkward for your friends!

But the Dad is sweet, he was trying!

36. Alex M says:

you’re not lying hun. Most akward EVER!!!

37. Cameron says:

This is not that awkward. Dad might be a bit of a dork, but at least he was trying. It would have made his day if they’d just sang and danced along, which is what they would’ve done if he wasn’t in the car. Lame.

38. patkerash says:

that daddy ! always on the cutting edge of hip

39. BigDog says:

Sounds like he was really trying to please you and your friends, and that he did put some thought into. Don’t think this is awkward at all, but must say your response to his gesture sure is.

• MJ Fan says:

BigDog, you said it perfectly. The dad was just trying to be sweet. Hopefully Julia will realize how awesome he is before it’s too late.

• Michelle says:

I totally agree. I lost my dad when I was 6. This year makes 27 years, would give anything to have memories like this. I am such a Debbie Downer! Sorry, just had to say it

• Hum says:

Oh for goodness sake, I don’t think she said at any point that she doesn’t love or appreciate her father. It’s just an amusing incident about an attempt at reaching out to another generation gone awry, no need for a group therapy session.

• Medic says:

Not sure how old Julia was at the time, but everything parents do is awkward between the age of 12-16. I don’t think she was trying to put her dad down, just trying add something that was “awkward” for her to the website. Parents that have kids at this age will know exactly where she is coming from.

• João says:

Don’t exaggerate. She’ll appreciate with time, maybe she already does, who knows.

40. Karen Gomez says:

Ahh, you’re too cool for Dad, huh?

41. laurie says:

42. Snowrider says:

Not awkward! I’m a single dad with a beautiful teenage daughter. He was trying to be nice and reach out to his daughter and her friends. Wait until YOU have children.

43. 1 says:

What the hell is a Fergie?

44. DarlingBuds says:

Poor Dad…he was clearly trying!

45. kaiserin says:

Aww, your dad sounds like a good guy! He tried even though it was awkward. I’m sure we all know how that is, my dad is totally the same way! However, this is gonna sound like a total load of BS but the older you get, the more you will love him, no matter how embarassing he is, because he’s your dad and he’s the only one you have. Sorry to be so lame but it’s true…so go give him a hug and tell him you love him!

46. Lauren Love says:

Get over yourself

47. Dancin' Homer says:

I love this story. It reminds me of so many awkward moments caused by my own dad – you cringe now, but you’ll have these hysterical stories to tell for the rest of your life!

48. Charlene says:

As God as my witness, I cannot understand what is embarrassing about this.

49. Hmmm says: