Bullseye

July 14th, 2009

All those hopes and dreams of him becoming a doctor just don’t seem important anymore.

137 Responses to “Bullseye”

1. Eagle Scout in GA says:

As an Eagle Scout, who was also a Cub Scout, Arrow of light recipient, and Order of the Arrow member; I would like to join in those congratulating this boy for his achievement.

Crazed in FL if you know this kid pass on my congratulations, as well as a word of encouragement to strive for the rank of Eagle Scout. If not to much to ask please pass on my thanks to that Sheriff’s Deputy for being so devoted to these boys and the program.

2. crazed in FL says:

I was there when this kid and his troop-mates got their Arrow of Light awards. The leader was a county sheriff’s deputy and the guy was totally over the top when it came to scouting. Each kid got an arrow like the one above, it was made by a genuine Native American in Arizona (I think?) and was made of real feathers and whatever stone was traditional to make such a thing. Must have cost the guy a fortune to give one to each of his troop… then again, maybe that’s where all the popcorn sale money went…

3. Mama says:

Arrow of Light is the highest award that a Cub Scout (at Webleos rank) can earn. Order of the Arrow is a service organization that one is voted into by other Scouts in your Boy Scout Troop, normally in the 2nd-3rd year of Boy Scouts (not Cub Scouts).
    Also note all the Silver Arrow Points under his shirt pocket … this kid is a serious Cubbie! ~Way to go~
    =)

4. Sandra says:

that is without a doubt the smallest fireplace mantle I have ever seen

5. MONSTRO says:

He killed an arrow and had it mounted…

6. Blake says:

Meh, Arrow of Light is a cakewalk. Now, Eagle Scout rank, THAT is hard.

7. colleen says:

Burgandy: “I make the good girls go bad!”

8. CanonGal says:

This is an Arrow of Light Award: the highest honor in Cub Scouts. What’s funny about that?

9. Jennifer C says:

Uh, yeah…what the others said above…this is Order of the Arrow and is an honor in Scouting. He probably WILL go on to be a doctor. WTG, kid!

10. binkymae says:

One question for all the boy scout aficionados out there. Is the red flag on the mantle that exceeds the U.S. flag in size, also a boy scout symbol?

11. shelley says:

i don’t get it

12. glasstabletop says:

I think this kid should also get an award for ability to illicit so many “In-defense of the Unawkwardness” posts.

13. Mindy says:

All of y’all showing off your boy scouts knowledge and throwing around the word “webelo” are making me feel extremely awkward.

14. trblem8r says:

Everyone is all wrong. You just don’t get it. It’s awkward because…..the kid is standing with both parents [notice the wedding rings] in the home that is not foreclosed on. And yes he is some sort of Scouts and Not playing video games or out trying to be a wanna be gang member. Now that’s AWKWARD.

15. betheremnant says:

I’m so proud of that kid! That’s chin is up and he looks ‘seriously’ proud as he should be. I love the plastic flags on the wood mantle..(the football flag is significantly higher than the US flag..hahaha).
    Thanks for sharing this moment with us…don’t know why it’s ‘awkward’ except for the flashing of your beautiful dvd collection. :)

16. Suzanne says:

Nothing awkward to see here folks. Good job kid.

17. Compound bow says:

It’s a scout with his scoutmasters… that’s not awkward!?! Those men are just proud of their little scout and his achievement…. neat-o gang what a fun bunch!!

18. DonKeyHoTay says:

His parents are proud that he won the Compound Bow Achievement award so young!

19. Ideafix says:

I think what is pretty awkward is the long list of comments defending the “unawkwardness” of this picture. Oh my God, I didn’t know AFP had so many fervent Boy Scouts among its followers…

Smug and proud dad, very happy and proud mom, cute proud kid, and now, apparently, a hundred of very proud AFP posters congratulating that kid.

It maybe just me… I never earned an arrow of light… nor intended to…. ;o)

20. Melba says:

It’s awkward that it’s not awkward.

21. Virginia says:

He just got his “Arrow Of Light” award which is like the Eagle Scout of Cub Scouts.

22. B0D says:

Looks ok to me. What’s awkward about it?

Is that the Webelos Arrow of Light?

23. Mike W. says:

What’s the problem here? He’s an Arrow Of Light awardee if I remember the name correctly. Webelo’s Cub Scout award.
    What’s awkward ? Nothing I see. OH, OH MY GAWD ! That’s a REAL arrow mounted there ! ! How in the name of all that is holy and righteous in America can we allow a CHILD to have an arrow? He’ll put his eye out ! !

24. DM says:

The trophy looks a bit like a sundail gone wrong.

• Graembo says:

In the course of a decade, I’ve never thought about that. LOL. My Boy Scout older brothers aside, you get “Best Comment.”

25. What in the World? says:

Don’t get why this is supposed to be awkward — it’s cute. :)

26. MST says:

Wow, where did he find that antique, hand-crafted emergency exit sign the American Indians used to hang in their teepees?

• Mike says:

Nice. Thank you for finding something funny to say. Yes, it’s an achievement, but it’s also a little bit funny. C’mon!

27. Mr. HCI says:

Are people just not bothering to read other comments? It’s a prestigious award for a little guy, not an archery trophy, ffs.

28. Jake says:

Actually, I don’t find this awkward either. The kid just earned his Arrow of Light. It’s a pretty big accomplishment. Congrats!

29. Stuart says:

That is the Arrow of Light Ceremony. Cub Scouts highest award. He had to work hard for that piece of wood with an arrow stuck to it.

30. tofudisan says:

Yeah I don’t get the awkwardness of this. The boy earned the Arrow of Light. That’s the highest award in Cub Scouts. The only remotely awkward thing is the expression on the Father’s face (well that and the curiously tilted background).

31. Krista says:

I was just about to say the EXACT same thing janejax said…even starting with the ‘aww’.

It is interesting to see how kids resemble their parents. He has his mom’s eyes and nose and his dad’s mouth.
    Very sweet pic.

32. The Outlaw says:

It’s the arrow of light ceremony when a cub scout becomes a boy scout. If only more kids would do this.

33. MCR says:

Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame/you give awkwardness a bad name.

34. tour86rocker says:

I think the owner of the site is under the false impression that the boy has won an archery award or something? How awkward for him.

• c minus says:

totally naild it.

i got my arrow of light back i 86..it was a big deal deal.

this photo is not akward. however, if you somehow dont know what scouting is about, then yes, you may think this is akward

35. tour86rocker says:

I finally got it! He’s wearing the wrong neckerchief slide, possibly upside down. But no…that’s not awkward either.

36. cody says:

Aw man! I remember when my younger brother got Order of the Arrow! That’s awesome, not awkward!!

37. @janejax says:

aww this isn’t awkward. Mom & Dad proud of their son; this is sweet.

• Et says:

Agreed! I saw this and thought ‘Aww. Look at the kid beaming.’ It’s just a nice photo.

• Peggi says:

I agree… it’s a lot of work to earn that arrow! Good for them!

• Walt says:

proud of him for what, winning the Steve Martin arrow through the head award?

• Sue says:

This made me laugh out loud. The little kitty arrow through the head was priceless, and when I say ” He gets all dressed up, and goes to the bank, disguised as ME……….” and crack up, no one else seems to remember it.

• Becca says:

This is the arrow of light I think, this is hard to earn. Good on you young man.

• Jane says:

I agree completely; these parents are just really proud of this kid. Good for them.

• Graembo says:

Both my older brothers were Scouts, and I think this is the “Order of the Arrow” award. He appears a lot younger than most recipients; O of A is just a couple of stops before Eagle Scout. (Wow, go me for being a nerd, but “knowing is half the battle,” right?)

Way to go, kid!

• Blucat says:

My fiancee is an Eagle Scout, so I have a passing familiarity with the levels of Scouting, he wouldn’t think there was anything funny about this pic at all.

• PAT IS PAT!!! says:

I’ve earned both the Arrow of Light in cubs, Eagle Scout in Boy Scouts AND been in the Order of the Arrow. Believe me, I had seen COUNTLESS Bands of Awkward families along that trail. I’d say 75-90% of all scouting families would highly qualify for this site.
            I had some great times growing up as a scout and witnessed some priceless Awkward moments to go along with it. BTW, Order of the Arrow is some off shoot “service” association of Boy Scouts and not an official rank.

The best things in this photo are the DVD Rack, not one, but TWO Car Window Flags on the Fire Place, and dad’s SMUG look on his face.

• Matt says:

this is not the OA award thst is in Boy Scout that is the Order of the Arrow this is the Arrow of light which is earned in the cub scouts right before you cross into the the boy scouts

38. Evan says:

Thugged out since cub scouts

• Mike says:

Next stop – The Van Helsings.

• Kiwi says:

Gee you guys take your scouting so seriously. Thanks perhaps to the fact we don’t have arrows of light down here (but we do have woggles) the Van Helsing link was like, well an arrow of light. This is a truly historic photo – this little guy has found the actual first arrow shot by a Van Helsing ancestor – the bow, incidentally, featured an incredibly strong fibre made of woven bison tail hair. The arrow flights are made of reject casserole lids.

• MCMG says: