Awkward Family Story: Nice One, Sis

July 20th, 2009

One Christmas when I had just turned 14, my grandma and grandpa flew all the way across the country to celebrate with our family. There were several long lost family members there including my younger sister and I who are 10 apart in age. As all of us are just sitting down for our dinner, my grandma looks at the table and says “Oh, I’m going to feel like a glut after this meal!” In turn my little sister pipes up with “I don’t know what a glut is, but I know what a slut is! As everyone at the table is trying to hold it together, she finishes her comment with “My sister’s one!!”….yeah, awkward.

(submitted by Andrea)

38 Responses to “Awkward Family Story: Nice One, Sis”

1. Vyv says:

Now, is this the same Andrea, who later posted the less awkward, more disgusting, story about clogging their in-laws’ toilet?

2. Bumble Bee says:

My Austrian friend’s grandkids say stuff all the time and they are 3 and 4. They tell Oma that she’s stupid and not just stupid , “Very Stupid.” Oma said, “who said that?” and the culprit pipes up “My Mummy” and at the dinner table. Try and get out of that one daughter in law sitting across the table from Oma. I was there the other day and one of them was being loud and pushy with his brother so Opa told him off and the 4 year old said “Opa you are “A BOSSY BOOTS TODAY” in a very clear and articulate manner. He also goes camping with Oma and Opa and he tells the 12 year old girls in the camping ground that he’s 8. Kids ! He looks about 4.

3. qtrgrl says:

I agree with laughing_hard I think there were other long lost family members there with them although this is irrelevant to the story and should be omitted as it’s confusing.

4. Bumble Bee says:

I certainly believe it as my nephew used to come out with some beauties when you least expected it. You know what they say anonymoose,” out of the mouths of babes” so you obviously haven’t been around too many children. Maybe you should lighten up a little

5. Frank says:

Welcome to Spit Take Theatre.
    “My sister’s one.”
    Grandma spits out her her coffee.

6. Bernardo says:

You know the ones who never lie are drunks and little children LOL

7. anonymoose says:

Normally I really love the stories here, but this one had the fatal trifecta of poorly written, highly unbelievable, and not at all funny.

4 year olds typically find a different way to verbalize their confusion over what words mean. And yeah, long lost relative is your 4 year old sister who knows you are a slut?

Sorry, the whole thing sounds like it was written by a 12 year old who needs to head back to English class.

• I think that they had a couple of long lost family members there, but her sister and her were also there. i can believe this story, for kids say the darnest things!

• Andrea says:

Oops, the long lost relatives were cousins that my family had not seen in several years, but only came for dinner because my grandmother and grandfather had flown across the country. My l’il sis was not “long lost”, but yes, due to poor sentence structure, my words did not translate into email. I wish the story was untrue, but unfortunately at almost every Christmas dinner for the last 19yrs this story has been mentioned. Even my l’il sis who will be 26 soon can’t believe she said it!

• NuttyMom says:

That is exactly how children share their new discoveries. You sound like you don’t have children and that you are pretty pretentious.
      She probably heard someone else call the 14 year old girl that and thought that she would show everyone how clever she is. I feel sorry for the 14 year old. Anyone who has ever been part of an extended-extended family would know how awkward family events can be. I think this story is pretty sad. :( Poor kid.

• Kelly says:

Everbody’s a critic…

• gmcfly says:

Obviously photoshopped.

8. I'mLostToo says:

Huh? Who was “long lost”? You or your 4 year old sister? I don’t follow.

• JanJan says:

Not that difficult – both the writer and the 4 yr old were long lost from some of the others present, not from each other!

• Mary says:

Could be from each other too, if the 14 yr old lived elsewhere and the younger sibling was a half sister or something..hey ya know it is the world we are living in..

9. Maverick says:

Well, THAT’LL make you spew milk from your nose!

10. Kids are Dumb says:

That sounds like some S*** my little sister would say to try and be funny.

11. I'mLostToo says:

Huh? Long lost from your 4 year old sister? I don’t get it.

12. Keith Cumtwa says:

How can you have a long lost sister who is 4 years old?

13. Bleah! says:

You were lost?

14. shennydenny says:

Awkward for you, maybe, but I’ll bet everyone else thought it HILARIOUS.

15. laurie says:

Oh snap!

16. Michael says:

Hi there, big sis. Wanna exchange emails? LOL

Did she really know what a slut is? Or did she think it meant something else?