On the Road Again

July 22nd, 2009

On the Road Again - Vacation

Who needs a photo of the Sears Tower when you’ve got this keeper?

(submitted by Diana)

209 Responses to “On the Road Again”

1. Cyndi says:

This is the North Split in Indy. (Just NE of downtown.) The real question is when were these people on it with no traffic and why did they have their picture taken? This is a very high-traffic and very heavily-patrolled area – emergency stopping only. Weird.

2. Kelley says:

So you DON’T want to go to Chicago?

3. Millie says:

This is my exit to work!!!! OHIO ST!!!
    whaddup indy?????????

4. chris says:

yep, it’s indy alright…damn grandkids still haven’t come back with the gulldern car!!!!

5. Alekx says:

I actually really like this picture.
    It’s a nice portrait.
    Interesting. Very “documentary”ish.

6. Pood says:

Noooooo. Clark was in St. Louis when that happened. I take that exit every day. I’ve been driving to school via that route for several years now. Just drove past those signs yesterday! I used to live about three miles from that exit. I used to live on one side of that ramp and work on the other. I’ve driven that highway a million times. I just drove by it minutes ago. It’s St. Louis.
    Shut up. No, YOU shut up.

7. Brian says:

The significance of this picture? Possibly that it is the aerial shot used in the movie “National Lampoon’s Vacation”? Remember when Clark takes that off-ramp, and gets lost in the “Bad” Neighborhood? Where they get their hubcaps stolen?

Just Sayin’. Anybody else remember this?

8. salvia says:

this is indianapolis.

i just drove by it minutes ago.

9. Katie says:

Correction… WILLIS tower. not Sears.

10. Amanda says:

This is most certainly Indianapolis because Michigan St, Ohio Ave, and Fletcher street are all down down near Lucas Oil Stadium.

11. EmHatter Project says:

Don’t you just love how people are STILL posting that “you got it sooooo wrong, that’s Indianapolis!!!” I think we got it…. I think the rest of us ALSO got the fact that the joke was indeed what a previous poster said…that the closest they’d ever get to Chicago was a road sign. In fact they could be anywhere, with any city (or lack thereof) in the background, and the joke would still work. It’s basically just saying “why go to an actual tourist spot when you’ve got this beautiful awkward gem of two people out of place on a highway with no car.”

12. AllAboutDave says:

The Mrs. looks like she just got buffetted with a wind blast off of a semi and she’s trying to keep the dirt out of her eyes. And the Mr. looks like he’s ready to challenge someone off camera, like maybe the truck driver.

13. Butchie says:

It’s the highway sign that is in the opening sequence of “One Day at a Time”.

14. Slywy says:

Even if you didn’t know it was Indianapolis, the biggest clue is that in Chicago it’s Michigan Ave., not St., and I don’t think any expressways have an exit there.

15. magillicuddy says:

this is so weird… how was this even saved as a souvenir photo? the gray socks, the shorts, the skirt, the landscape… it’s like saturday night live in the 70s…

16. ah says:

i’m an aquarius who enjoys candle lit dinners and long walks on the shoulders of indianapolis highways

17. Tbub says:

FYI: The Sears Tower don’t exist anymore. It was renamed on 7/16 to the Willis Tower. *sigh* how times change!

18. Carol says:

“It’s your turn to thumb”….”No it’s your turn” Damn you woman!

19. Other brother with another mother says:

They’re looking at Forrest after he stopped, wondering What now,Myrtle?

20. Ashley says:

That is 100% in Indianapolis – pass it all the time. Keep going, for three hours, and you’ll get to Chicago – but that skyline is for sure downtown Nap-town:)

21. Kelly says:

Hey guys, is this in Indianapolis?

22. saywhat says:

i love the purple socks with brown shoes/sandals.

23. JPT60 says:

Typical Cubs fans

24. springjack says:

Exit 83B, huh? 83′s the median age in this picture, and the B stands for Baffled or Bereft of Vehicle.

25. StrictTime says:

A lot of you people are really dumb and don’t get the captions at all. This isn’t the first time…

26. Brian says:

Yea that’s Indanpoilis for shure LOLZZZZ I know because I live there and drive by every day that same exit which is why I know. Chicago is not even close to Indanpoilis1

27. Becca says:

why are his shorts uneven ? their outfits are more awkward than anything!

28. Tim says:

“It’s 183 miles to Chicago…we’ve got no car…half a pack of cigarettes….it’s high noon…and I’m wearing corrective shades.”

“Hit it.”

29. Jamie says:

Ha ha, I used to live on one side of that ramp and work on the other. Def Indianapolis!

30. Chazlette says:

Hitchhiking worked for us in the sixties.

31. Jenany says:

“Attention All Units: The Happy Meadows Rest Home on Michigan Street is reporting two of it’s residents have escaped. Please be on the lookout for them.”

32. Modine says:

What a fabulous idea for a prank. Put those Kodak photo spot signs from Disneyland up on random highway overpasses, and watch the out of towners create their special vacation keepsakes.

33. Racheal says:

It’s Indianapolis. I’ve driven this stretch more times than I care to admit!

34. Ashley says:

Ya that’s the 65/70 split on the southern edge of the Indy. I’ve been driving to school via that route for several years now.

35. Mia41288 says:

Yeah, I live about 10 minutes from that exit. That’s downtown Indianapolis in the background.

36. Frank says:

They look so lost and alone. Why does that make me laugh?

37. Tocsnai says:

So plainly this is their tradition: On long trips, they hop out and take snapshots of the various turnoffs and junctions along the way. Some people do the state border signs, these folks have taken it a bit further.

One can only be mildly amazed that they lived this long. Guys, it’s I-70, and that rail absorbs impacts.

38. Empress Marie says:

Funny thing, I-65 never reaches Chicago. It ends in Gary , Indiana around 5th avenue.

39. Allison says:

Oh yeah, that’s definitely Indy. Live here… drive that route DAILY and am quite suprised that they could get that shot without too many cars on the interstate. What the heck are they thinking?

40. emm says:

clearly they ignored the barricades earlier that warned that the city had been taken over by giant, radioactive bugs… (where IS everybody??)

41. Maureen says:

42. Mandy says:

That’s totally Indianapolis! Just drove past those signs yesterday! That’s the Indy skyline in the background for sure!

43. natalie says:

yeah that’s def not chicago…

44. Jeff says:

Yes thats Indianapolis. I take that exit every day.

45. patkerash says:

“Dude, where’s my car ?”

46. Angela B says:

I think the original caption writer simply meant that THIS was the CLOSEST they would ever get to Chicago–i.e. the Chicago exit sign. I guess that would be just one too many layers of humor for some of you.

47. Angie says:

“Me and my wife, we just started walkin’. Just because we felt like it. When we were tired, we stopped. When we wanted to walk, we walked. When we needed to – ya know – we -ya know. We thought we got all the way to Chicago, but everyone freaked out and told us it was Indian-a-polis. Boy did we feel dumb. So we just stopped in the middle of the highway and had our picture took. And that’s all I have to say about that.”

48. Mel says:

The photographer is facing west… just past the Rural/Keystone exit heading toward downtown Indianapolis. Not actually the Southside – more like the North loop of the downtown interstate. I’ve driven that highway a million times.

49. Mattb291 says:

You know, I’m not sure, but I don’t think that’s Chicago in the background. I think it might be Indianapolis. Can’t believe no one has picked up on that yet.

50. Andy says:

Have you ever driven a car? That’s the exit to go to Chicago, which is about 150 miles to the N/NW of Indianapolis. That’s definitely Indianapolis.

• dee says:

i was just going to say that. i live in indy and that is definitely the indy skyline. =)

• springjack says:

Third vote for Indy. That’s on I-70, just southwest of downtown. I used to live about three miles from that exit.

• springjack says:

No, the other person is right. That’s northeast of downtown. Silly me.

• supbaby says:

I live in chicago, its not chicago!

• Joni says:

I’m pretty sure it’s downtown. Michigan STREET is downtown (runs east-west through the IUPUI campus), Michigan ROAD is northeast (runs north-south and is variously known as MLK and 421).

Not the same road. Ask me how I know, LOL…

Also, I-70 and I-65 only run together for a few miles, and it’s pretty much smack in the heart of downtown. That’s how I could tell right away that this is downtown Indy, because there’s only one place where the two interstates intersect.

• Mary says:

Yep, Definately Indy. I live not to far from there. lol

• Joe says:

No, I’m pretty sure that’s Chicago. I used to live there and I will never forget that beautiful skyline!

• melissa says:

this is TOTES my EXIT! who else lives in the Square????

• Bob H says:

It’s funny how we didn’t even pay attention to the awkwardness (though I guess it isn’t too overwhelming in this picture)…but yeah, I was gonna say, I65 and I70 definitely don’t run through Chicago.