Awkward Family Story: The Cure

July 23rd, 2009

On our first trip to my boyfriend’s hometown to meet his parents, I developed a killer migraine. The headache was so bad, I couldn’t keep any medicine down due to severe nausea and vomiting.

After a few hours of watching me suffer with the headache, my boyfriend (now husband’s) father came up with what he thought was a wonderful solution: giving me migraine meds via a suppository. That’s right: my future father-in-law (who is a doctor, by the way) was offering to insert medicine in my butt.¬†Awkward.

Miraculously, upon hearing his offer of help, I decided my migraine was cured.

(submitted by Kathleen)

Tags:

55 Responses to “Awkward Family Story: The Cure”

1. Solana says:

I have a simillar story to tell- except it was my grandfather who offered. I was staying at my grandparents’ house and grandma wasn’t home that day.

He had a couple extra suppositories from a previous ailment. He’s not a doctor, but I was sick enough to accept his offer. And yes, I DID let him insert them. Thr man does have warm hands though ;)

2. Jess L says:

That’s so great! lol I had a migraine about the same tenure when I first got married (about 1 week after) and after being taken to hospital during a huge blizzard and given sedatives via IV to help me sleep we came home and there was ice everywhere. My new father in law offered to help my new husband carry me inside so he wouldn’t slip and drop me and I remember him saying “wow good thing she isn’t as big as you brothers’ wives…”
    umm lol I think I giggled but they thought I was out cold.
    And yes my husband verified that it did happen and I wasn’t hallucinating.

3. Jen says:

Actually he was right. You can use normally oral medications rectally if the person is unable to swallow. It’s done in hospice care all the time.

It would cure me also if he was offering to insert meds himself though!!!

4. Ani Reddy says:

Funny and extremely awkward to say the least

5. Lorry says:

Being an RN and having worked around many Dr’s, I doubt very much that he was offering to place the suppository himself. I can see a Dr offering the advice that perhaps the meds would work via rectum since she was nauseated but I can’t think of a single Dr I’ve ever met where they wouldn’t prescribe the meds and walk out of the room for the nurse to administer it!

HOWEVER, if the suggestion cured the migraine, she didn’t really have a migraine to begin with…

6. j_bryon says:

Well atleast you knew your FIL liked you right of the bat, doctor or not!

7. Ana says:

LOL.. similar story here.. I was in Mexico and got REALLY sick.. hubby’s uncle who we were staying with is a doctor and had already given my hubby like 5 shots in the @ss because he was sick as well.. he offered and I was like hmm no I feel better.. LOL..

8. glasstabletop says:

My mom & I both get ‘call the ambulance’ migraines, they are so awful.
    I know exactly what suppository he’s talking about–phenigren. I’ve opted for the pill form usually but I more often than not vomit it up. The suppository is…well, I won’t go there, but it works faster and more efficiently.

I don’t he was going to administer it himself.

Donna—I agree.

9. Donna says:

I laughed out loud when I read this and my two 5 year old daughters wanted to know what was so funny. Naturally, I made something up.

This isn’t funny because her boyfriend’s dad offered to insert the suppository (that would be creepy). It’s funny because on first meeting her future FIL, there was any discussion of rectally administered medications at all. If you’re a medical professional or a parent this isn’t a big deal but if you’re a young woman meeting your future in laws for the first time, this has to be horribly embarrassing.

Weird how we all feel the need to dissect this.

10. Thijs says:

Well, he is a doctor, so I suppose he knows what he’s talking about. And although it is a bit weird to offer such a thing when you meet someone for the first time, it sounds like a proper solution when you keep vomiting to be quiet honest.

11. DrN8 says:

Yeah, pretty much on behalf of the health care community, i’m of the opinion that this girl deserved whatever suffering she had. Not awkward at all. (tho’ the story of future FIL bringing up birth control…that has potential…)

Let’s look at her story. She said, “KILLER” headache, “nausea and vomiting” and MOST telling, after a “FEW HOURS” help was offered. You didn’t just show up at the door and Dr FIL (ha, like Dr Phil…) says, “Oh, nice to meet ya, how ’bout a suppository?” It was clearly a last resort when it became apparent that the migraine wasn’t going away.

Further, I can’t possibly believe that he was offering to actually administer the medication. Seriously, that’s so ridiculous. Even if, for some reason, you were incapable of doing it yourself, I’m pretty sure the role of suppository depositer would fall to the boyfriend….

Basically, it seems like a good solution, given the circumstances and she should be grateful to have a conscientious in-law like that.
    Again, anyone who’s had a true migraine would do anything to get rid of it. The fact that this person DIDN’T accept help plus the “miraculous” cure implies it wasn’t really a migraine. that’s my diagnosis…

12. susan says:

my mum used to get vicious migraines that caused her to throw up any type of oral medication that may have helped. her only choice was the migraine drugs in suppository form. they worked perfectly as the drugs are absorbed faster and don’t get chucked up.

13. ReCurved Bow says:

Sounds like a nice guy.If a mechanic offered to fix the car free would she have felt awkward?

14. purplepenquin says:

Anytime I get tired of hearing someone whine about being sick I also tell ‘em to shove something up their butt. Tho, if I worded it the way this FiL did then perhaps it won’t come across quite as hostile….

15. Philippa says:

I also get migraines and can’t quite believe that anyone would refuse any kind of possible cure! Er, a painkilling suppository – so it might work, unlike the tablets – from a doctor? That’s not awkward, that’s helpful!

16. Charlotte Everts says:

I believe in miracles.

17. Carrie says:

Oh, I can relate. Before my husband and I were married, my future inlaws (my FIL is also a retired physician, but was practicing at the time) felt it necessary to bring up birth control at the dinner table while we were out somewhere. My husband to be, of course, was living out of state at the time, so I had to endure the cricket-chirping silence alone while my mind processed what my FIL had just asked me.

18. NoWay says:

I have so many comments I could say. None of them would make it on to “Comments.”
    To the moderators… I am just bursting with them. It’s a family website though and I appreciate it. Just saying…

19. Julie says:

More creepy would be if he WASN’T a doctor…. and offered to … ummm… you know..

Yep awkward…

20. JoJo says:

Are you sure he wasn’t offering you a suppository for YOU to insert yourself? That would make more sense.

I get chronic migraines and I think I would take any medication anybody gave me if it was really as bad as you’re saying it was.

21. Killer Kate says:

Funny story, but it’s becoming increasingly annoying how some people are feeling the need to include the word ‘awkward’ in a separate sentence at the end of their story. We don’t need the reaffirmation.

22. Beccas says:

haha… i can’t believe you ended up MARRYING this guys son… haha..

23. Dancin' Homer says:

“so honey, does your dad offer to do this to ALL your girlfriends?”

24. Rich says:

Migraines can be a real pain in the….

25. Trane says:

um…. I mean, did he offer to insert it for you, or just give you the suppository?

26. Chris says:

diet coke just shot out of my nose all over my keyboard.

totally worth it. :-)

LOL!!

27. seabear says:

The only thing I find awkward is that the person who wrote this letter thougt he was offering to insert the suppositories… which I assume her future father in-law thought she would be capable of doing her self!

28. David says:

Well, he is a doctor. I guess that takes away a little bit of the otherwise overwhelming creepiness. Now it is just stunningly awkward.

29. StrictTime says:

Awkward and creepy…

30. Jennifer says:

These stories keep getting better!

31. Poetikat says:

Who knew? Is he a real doctor, or just “pretend”?

32. Rich says:

Boy, a shrink would have a field day with this story!

33. laurie says:

Nothing says “Hi nice to meet ya!” like offering to stick something up one’s bum.

34. Chad says:

Wow, looks like his suggestion was a cure (of sorts) after all!

35. Modine says:

How do you spell too much information? Not awkward. Not funny.