Awkward Family Story: The Liver Steak Incident

July 28th, 2009

I was at my boyfriend’s house to have dinner with his family for the first time when I saw the liver steak. Let’s just say that is not my favorite food. The window was so clean that you couldn’t tell if it was open or not. Everybody left the dinner room to answer a call from grandma and I had the bright idea of throwing the liver out the window but my plan failed because the window was closed. Awkward.

(submitted by Gabriella)

85 Responses to “Awkward Family Story: The Liver Steak Incident”

1. Marieange says:

Sounds like Wayne needs a nap…with a blankey!

2. Marieange says:

WONDERFUL!!!

3. Charlie says:

You could have said you saw a huge hairy spider and without thinking you threw the first thing you grabbed. “But that’s ok I really like salad”.

4. Wayne says:

I hate the stories. This one in particular. It’s not funny or cute. It’s just stupid.

5. Liana says:

I don’t get why you would throw it out the window?

6. Kamilla says:

lol, how do you explain that ?

7. Neptune says:

So you were a first-time guest in their house and they all left the room and left you to finish your dinner alone because they received a phone call? Almost as rude as you chucking food out/into the window.

8. Jeannie says:

Okay, I am praying that this is made up. It’s not even that funny to me, because I can’t get past how juvenile the girl is. “Ew, I hate liver! I’m gonna throw it out the window, because they totally won’t find it outside/wonder how it was gone so fast.”

PLEASE tell me this was made up. How disrespectful do you have to be to actually DO that?

• Nena says:

I agree with Jeannie-

You were a guest in these people’s home, and you thought it would be acceptable to throw their dinner, which they had spent good money on, out the window? I don’t care how much you dislike something. You take a small piece and act gracious. And you certainly don’t decide that no one else can eat either!

9. JenB says:

My plan would’ve worked too, if it wasn’t for that meddling window!

10. 1 says:

This one time! When I was young! There was this guy! And his pants were all dirty! And I said did you poop yourself! And he said YES!! AWKWARD!!

11. Jessica says:

LMAO! I’m just thinking about the noise the piece o’ meat made when it hit the window and then slid down and plopped on the floor.

12. girlgeek says:

Awkward, yes- but even more awkward is the term “dinner room”.

13. Pris says:

Reminds me of the time my dear cousin served me shad and shad roe — Yuck!! Sorry, Eastern Pennsylvanians, but that stuff is just gross! There was no window, no dog under the table and no left-alone opportunity to disposit of it — I had to eat it and smile. Never again!

14. MZ says:

Of course she couldn’t eat it – it wasn’t in a regulation-size casserole dish!

15. Ali says:

That is friggin hiliarious…c’mon…hear the meat hit the window and imagine the faces…pretty funny..

• Graembo says:

“Whomp.” “Scree.” “Splat.”

I can only assume that she was so panicked about the liver and so desperate to get it off of her plate that she took the first opportunity, freaked out, not really thinking about what would become of the liver. I mean, that’s my guess. Or maybe she saw a stray cat before she walked into the ho–

Oh, who am I kidding! This story is crap!

16. anniefanny says:

I am not a vegetarian now, but still would not touch liver with a ten foot pole-gag!

17. anniefanny says:

This happened to me: I was invited to the home of an acquaintance for dinner. She had been to my home where we had eaten a vegetarian meal. I assumed that she knew I was a veg. Upon entering her kitchen I asked “Ooh, what is that strong odour?” She replied “Oh, that’s liver that I am preparing to serve with dinner.” Gag!

18. Blucat says:

Why would someone serve liver to company?! I mean, isn’t it one of the most universally disliked foods in the world?

19. Leroix says:

I must have outlived honesty and integrity.Why not politely tell the hosts you don’t care for liver?
    If they get offended don’t marry into the family.

20. Laura says:

I thought this story was so silly that I preferred to let my mind wander over the ‘call from grandma’ part… Was it a phone call… or was she in another room and called out and everyone went rushing…maybe she was hiding and wanted to people to find her…

Yeah. BS. And if not – weird.

• bigdaddybeef says:

Maybe grandma had fallen and couldn’t get up, so the whole family responded to her life alert.

• Allison says:

So true. I just pictured the old lady from the life alert commercials as grandma, cute boyfriend and weirdo family jumping out to help her, and BLONDE girlfriend throwing liver steak onto a very clean but not open window!

21. letsroll says:

liar, liar, pants on fire!

22. Hmmm says:

Oya: really?? all the mother served was steamed vegetables for dinner and that was it?? I highly doubt it.

23. jenjen says:

And you wonder why Marney gives such strick instructions…..

24. Alix says:

What kind of BS is this? Methinks someone had a great time making up a stupid story.

25. Bill says:

I call B.S.

26. oya says:

Sounds like something I did, only when I was a kid. I was sleeping over at my friends house and my friend’s mom decided to give us steamed carrots for dinner. I hated carrots (still do). They kick in my gag reflex, and my friend and her mom both knew it. But they made it anyway, because it was my friend’s favorite thing to eat (I thought it was kinda rude because I was only there for the night and her mom knew I hadn’t eaten anything earlier in the day, and decided to serve something I would have issues eating). But I seriously couldn’t swallow it because I’ve always thought carrots taste awful, so I kept “accidentally” dropping them.

But I was 9…

• Cathy says:

Haha! I’m picturing a cute little kid with a pile of steamed carrots under the chair repeatedly saying “woopsies!”

• MS says:

I was babysitting and the kids were supposed to eat their carrots, protesting the entire time. After what seemed like an hour of begging/whining/threats (no TV until the carrots are gone), I had to leave the room to answer “another call” when I hear a terrible “wretching” sound from the kitchen. The kid was serious when he said “carrots make me barf”.

• Jeannie says:

Kinda reminds me of ALL the times I went to my best friend’s house in elementary school. Her family would always make me eat EVERYTHING on my plate. Problem is, I have a small tummy! I usually get really small portions compared to other people because I CAN’T finish normal sized portions of everything. They didn’t get that.

Thank God I’m old enough now so that I’m allowed to choose what I eat, and how much of it!

27. Should Be Working says:

Ok, even if the window was really, really clean, wouldn’t you notice that no air or noise was coming through?

• emm says:

agreed!!–take it from someone who was done-in by the open window… when i was 4 i was supposed to finish my breakfast before i went out to play… i could hear my brothers and sisters all running around out in the backyard, so keeping an eye out for my mom, i jumped up, and bolted out the sliding glass door behind me. except it wasnt open–the sound of them playing was coming thru the open kitchen window next to it. needless to say, i shattered it. got a nice cut on the side of my head, on my knee and on my fingers. the doctor said i was lucky that i sneakily had my head turned, or i would have likely cut the daylights out of my face. i dont think they let me sit near the sliding door for years after that…

• hydrogen says:

Yep, I too have been owned by the sliding door, though I just got a forehead slam out of it, and was knocked back a couple of feet. The door amazingly didn’t break. I must have been been 5-9 years old. That slammer overrides any remembrance of age. But seriously, how could they think the toss-out-window technique is better than the hide-in-napkin, the feed-to-dog, etc.?

28. Tocsnai says:

A moment later, what was your explanation?

“The pin was out, and I had to save the squad”?

29. bobby soxx says:

Ok, come on people! It’s time to lose the freeloaders! 4 is plenty!

30. eh says:

hahahaha

31. Jessica says:

I call BS on this story. How exactly were you going to explain how the liver got outside? And why not just refuse to eat it, rather than chucking it outside? And why did everyone leave to answer Grandma’s call? None of that makes sense.

32. Scott says:

The only thing awkward about this is how it was written.

33. rwblake says:

Next time use the napkin to hide it and then you should go to the bathroom, then flush it down.

Rob

34. ping says:

i think this story is photoshopped

35. P_Mac says:

In fairness, your boyfriend’s family should accept a little culpability. No matter how much you like liver steak, it’s a REALLY strange choice of something to serve to a guest…especially a first-time guest! I can think of about a thousand other choices that would have been safer! Maybe it’s some sort of bizarre test?

36. GW says:

Oh, snap! That’s funny…I can imagine the smear of liver on the glass. Urp. Even if it was open, wouldn’t they have wondered why there was a liver steak in the yard? LOL Of course, local critters probably would have spirited it away before they’d see it!

37. nicswife says:

what… was she like 14 or something!? i would have just found the trash can and some paper towels!

38. Modine says:

It’s really disturbing how the photos are always awkward, and the stories are more hit or miss. I do think this one is awkward, and funny.

• Ron says:

The way to handle this situation (I’ve used this repeatedly) is, upon the return to the room of the other family members, point at a random individual and scream “LOOK OUT! HE’S GOT A GUN!!!”