Awkward Family Story: The Jockey

July 29th, 2009

Before taking my boyfriend on a vacation to meet my family for the first time, I gave him what I thought was ample preparation for how “upfront” they all can be. I was driving around with my older brother and boyfriend, trying to come up with fun activities for the long weekend. I suggested we go horse back riding, but my boyfriend (who is on the extremely short side) said he hated horses. My brother, who only met him mere moments earlier, chimed in, “Why do you hate horses? You’re jockey sized.” Awkward, but not as awkward as when we arrived at my parent’s door, only to have my father shake his hand and ask if those were girls pants he was wearing. They were. Double Awkward.

(submitted by Larissa)

89 Responses to “Awkward Family Story: The Jockey”

1. 80sgirl says:

Ughh, WHY must we suffer men wearing 1980s pants-that STILL sag in the rear!? I suppose if the legs are tight, though, then we won’t have to see them completely on the ground…and we didn’t get exact clarification if these pants in question were the new thing, or indeed from the womens’ dept.

2. Dee says:

Boys who skateboard wear girls jeans because they are skinny in the legs and have fuller seats, so the pants “droop” a little in the butt.

My ex-husband used to wear my jeans and shorts because I loved low-rise pants before low rise pants were cool. I ended up having to hide my favorite pants from him, and then I had the supremely awkward moment when I realized what I was doing – hiding my clothes so my husband wouldn’t wear them. This is PART of why he’s now my ex husband.

3. ghhh says:

There’s nothing wrong with men wearing women’s pants.
    If you wish to argue that men should wear only men’s pants, and women should wear only women’s pants, keep in mind that until the 1960s or so, there were no such thing as “women’s pants.” There were pants, for men, and skirts or dresses for women. Women who wore pants were considered deviants, before then.
    Kudos to your family for being up-front. That way, you know nobody’s “just saying that to be nice.”

4. me says:

That was awesome!!!!

I laughed so hard I cried!!!

Thanks awkward family photos :)

5. Michellehotboyzsurf says:

wait, why are people calling BS on ALL these stories? awkward things happen all the time guys, its not that inconceivable in this world for this to happen. get out more and witness the awkwardness of earth…

6. Bastet11 says:

Were they stirrup pants?

7. Joanne says:

I wonder what made the Dad think there were girls pants from the minute he met him-were they lavender, pink or a shade of yellow?

8. Kevin says:

I’m hoping for your sake the boyfriend is Lenny Kravitz, otherwise he’s beyond “metro-sexual”

9. Selena says:

Now, this was a funny story. It made me laugh out loud. Girl pants? Really?

10. beaner says:

This girl sounds mighty proud of her boyfriend…

11. Some Dude says:

Confession: I’m a 30yo married father, and about half my pants are womens pants. Why? Because I’m 5’6″, 125lbs with about a 28″ waist. You have no idea how hard it is to find pants that fit well (the womens pants I wear are sizes 0 — 2, depending on who made them). On weekends I usually wear mens jeans from a teen store, as they’re usually skinnier, but my work pants are usually womens khakis. Nothing tight or girly — just pants that fit! I don’t really see why it would be that big of a deal.

• eli says:

word. I’m about the same size as you, bit taller maybe, and I wear women’s jeans, too.

Although, I do go for the tighter look.

12. Jerry says:

I weep for the future generations that will never be born because men are damaging their equipment wearing tight girl pants.

It may be a trend, but so were a lot of horrible things.

• Nikkiboo says:

Look at it this way: would you really want the guys who would wear tight girl pants to reproduce? They’re doing the human race a favor.

13. Bernardo says:

The good thing about your family is they’re transparent. You get to know them pretty well pretty soon!

14. Lauren says:

a guy in girls jeans….nothing hotter!

15. Wendy says:

Oh my god! I love your family!

16. oya says:

Wow, how old are the people here? I think if you’re not up to date with the current trends then that would explain the negative reaction to guys wearing girls pants. It has become rather trendy within recent years for guys to wear women’s skinny jeans. It’s because it fits in with the punk/emo/hipster guys style. Lots of dudes I know where ‘em. Nothing odd about it unless you’re old, because my parents would act the same way lots of people here are acting. Your generation might not be used to it, but it’s become very common among young guys.

• Jennifer says:

um……..riiiiiiiiight

• Herro says:

Uh, there are extra slim fit jeans for men, without the Bongo label at the hips.

• LL says:

Nothing can be justified by stating that emo/hipster guys do it. It looks stupid, I cant stand guys with those super tight legs and the saggy rear end girl jeans. If Dad called him out for wearing them, good for him, the guy deserved a little grief

17. mjd says:

riding a horse when you can’t reach the stirrups would be quite painful. On the other hand if he’s wearing girls pants, would it be appropriate to ride side-saddle.

18. BroadwayBohemia says:

His own damn fault.

Even the gay men I know know better than to wear girls pants.

19. chl says:

Upfront? Nope. Rude. Yes.

20. Mark says:

Maybe your boyfriend is a Hobbit and was wearing pants that are common in The Shire. Did he also not have any shoes on?
    “Dad, this is my boyfriend Bilbo”

21. Joel says:

I don’t like the stories. They’re almost never funny, and half of them sound made up or at least exaggerated. This site should stick to pictures. Otherwise, they should rename it “Awkward Family Photos…and Stupid Mostly Made Up Stories.”

• Miku says:

well, i agree with most of your comment, but the liver steak story was funny!
      and another one i don’t remember now :)
      bit i HATE they always finish with “Awkward”. Yeah, we get it. AWKWARD is on the name of the site. ur submitting ur story ‘cuz is awkward… we know!
      no need to emphasize it anymore by writing as the last word.
      please stop doing it people.
      please.

• rebelle says:

I agree

• lulu says:

agreed!!

• Carol says:

If you don’t like the stories, don’t read the stories.

22. pooper! says:

I like how the term “upfront” was used in place of rude.

23. Leroix says:

Girl pants?Happy honeymoon!

24. rebelle says:

Maybe she should have warned her BF her family was just plain rude

• David says:

They may be rude, but if you are, in fact, wearing pants made for women and you are not a woman, you can probably expect some discussion.

• pooper! says:

agreed

• bu05 says:

Whats rude about it. Its their job to make sure their sister/daughter doesn’t bring home dueschebags (i.e guys who wear girls pants) I personally think the brother is hilarious for that joke. If BF can’t take a joke then thats his fault. Seems like the only reason the bf had to hate horses was because he was short. So he didn’t hate horses, he hated the fact that he looked like a jockey on them. He just has a serious case of short man syndrome

• Rachel says:

I agree rude, I was raised that you don’t say rude things to someones face- on occasion thoe remarks are made later when that person is gone- but never in front of them. thats a terribla family I hope he ran from them.

• Carol says:

Some might interpret that as two faced.

• Jeannie says:

Hey, I was raised the same way! My boyfriend, however, wasn’t. When I met his family, he too warned me that they were very, well….They didn’t hold back. And they don’t! They talk about all sorts of things together and make all kinds of jokes that in my house would get you in big trouble and be really awkward. Like joking about sex, for example, which used to freak me out.

I’ve been with my guy for almost four years now and the awkwardness is gone. I absolutely love his family, crazy or not!

• Suki says:

I disagree that’s not rude at all. It’s family they say whatever they want. And I would have said something too if he had on girls pants…

25. Holland says:

“Girl pants” refer to the incredibly tight jeans that most “indie” guys are wearing these days. It’s a fashion forward look for the awkward. As for me, I would never want to date a man who could wear his pants that tight…lacking much?

26. lameface says:

You need a new boyfriend.

27. Brant says:

I have no sympathy for the awkwardness brought on by wearing girls’ pants. I see guys doing it all the time… for fashion, I guess? Anyway, if you start the day wearing womens’ clothes, you should be prepared to answer more than a few questions about it… especially from anyone in an older generation.

28. Snowrider says:

Well, one time while still dating, my ex and I had to “get our clothes back on real fast” if you get my point….parents came home unexpectantly! We both had black jeans. We got them mixed up and had NO time to switch them. They fit OK…but…YIKES!

29. kari says:

Um. How did good ole’ Dad acquire the skills to RECOGNIZE girls pants? Hmmm.

30. Mike says:

I can’t see any reason why your boyfriend would be wearing girls pants… either we don’t know the whole story or this is contrived.

31. nat says:

you think thats awkward because you dont know my dad… this story is nothing… lol

32. Binky says:

Poor little guy! I have a friend (very straight guy btw) who used to wear girl jeans bc he liked the flair. I gave him a pair of mine that were too big once so I can see this happening.

33. Awkward Turtle says:

Maybe he borrowed them from her and that’s how she knew?

34. Tracy says:

haha right on! I think your family knows how to comment on stuff! =D

awkward girls pants indeed!

35. Ally says:

Ohhhhh that sucks….I would DIE if my parents did that to me…and my sibling! ohhhh gahhd

36. Jennifer says:

I didn’t realize that being short required wearing womens clothing.

• mel says:

That’s what I was thinking. They make short lengths in guys pants. Why would he not just buy those? Duh.

• Angie says:

Yeah … my ex was an inch taller than me (on a good day — and I’m short), but he bought pants in his size and had them shortened if need-be. He wouldn’t be caught dead wearing my pants.

(Although he did once where a pair of my shorts home when he came to my house for the night and didn’t have anything else and … wait, this story will get way too awkward. The point is *I* had some Reebok BOY shorts, so he felt like that was ok. LOL)

37. that guy says:

Why do all the stories lately involve boyfriends meeting parents or girlfriends meeting parents?

38. Anonymous says:

I call B.S. There’s no way he’d be wearing girls’ pants. I don’t care how short a guy is, that would be insane…especially when meeting the girlfriend’s family. B.S.

• FactoryConnection says:

Never underestimate a hipster’s love for girl jeans.

• Michell says:

OMG, i just have to say that i know soo many guys that wear girls pants for that, tight, punk/hipster look.. thats probably the type of guy he is. i dated a short guy who always used to steal my pants…haha, glad i’ve moved “up” in the world.

• KatieMB says:

I know a guy who wears women’s pants – he’s pretty short and I guess it’s just easier for him to buy women’s? We are pretty merciless when it comes to teasing him about it.

• Zac says:

Hand-me-downs from older sisters and the family was really poor? I’m glad I had male cousins because otherwise I probably would have worn my sister’s stuff.

39. Jenn says:

The most awkward thing about this story was that the boyfriend WAS wearing girls pants.

40. Just my opinion says:

The onlt thing that would make this story more awkward, is a picture of said boyfriend in girls pants riding a horse!

41. Lori says:

why was your boyfriend wearing girls pants? were they capris?

42. RAMII says:

Um….why was your boyfriend wearing “Girl Pants”? That is really Awkward!!! Hope you didn’t know about it beforehand!

43. Maureen says:

Why was he wearing girl pants?

• Tocsnai says:

Perhaps this is a UK story, and we’re talkin’ swapped “pants”? Everybody’s got a little something unusual going on underneath….

44. Susie says:

I think when a straight guy starts the day wearing girls’ pants, awkward is inevitable.