Awkward Family Story: Dot Dot Dot

August 17th, 2009

As they sent it…

Jake,
How the “H” is everything going for you????????????????? fine we hope.
Say what do you think of my GPS????? At least it got your mom and dad down and back!!!! ha ha
Gram and I will be down a little later………………………we are going to the Brewer game this Thursday. We hear you are moving this Thursday. That will be a big day for you. BE SURE AND SEND US YOUR NEW MAILING ADDRESS AND AND YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS – IF YOU CHANGE IT. PHONE NUMBER TOO……………….
i HOPE EVERYTHING IS COOOOOOOOL WITH YOU.

Gram and gramps……………………………

(submitted by Jacob)

127 Responses to “Awkward Family Story: Dot Dot Dot”

1. Kristen says:

I think this is awkward if you say it out loud the way it is typed. Sounds like the person is drunk, but yeah, just reading it sounds confusing, not awkward.

2. sofie says:

‘coooooooooooooolest’ grandparents ever

3. dotdotdot says:

I think they are posting increasingly unfunny, non-awkward stories to punish us for complaining.

• Ann O. Nymous says:

Please DON’T eliminate the stories! True, they are not all awk-worthy, but just one like Marnie’s is worth a lot of dreck.

4. doghed says:

i just want to agree that the critics should get their own websites. because this is the greatest email ever. the awkwardness threatens to overwhelm the reader: perhaps that is why the haters are so shrill. seriously, this email makes me cringe every time i think about it. it’s perfect. so full of nothing, and so many extra letters. so confused about texting versus email. it satisfies my every need. thank you.

• Morag says:

My only issue with this email (and similar – Marnie’s is clearly in a league of its own) is that the main reason this is awkward is because the grandparents are trying a bit too hard to be cool and they are a bit befuddled by the technology. My Dad at 85 is similar, and I don’t personally find it hilarious to laugh hysterically at the awkwardness of his emails. He’s doing his best.

5. Boppie says:

Look, if all of you are so obsessed with what’s truly awkward and what’s not, then start your OWN website. I’M getting tired of all the boring comments about how NOT awkward stories and pictures are.

6. jnmcnally says:

How utterly awkward, posting an e-mail that is not awkward, interesting, or funny on a site dedicated to interesting awkwardly funny photographs!

May I suggest that the “awkward story” idea has run its course and it now only dilutes the value of the site?

7. :-\ says:

This is definitely awkward.

“i HOPE EVERYTHING IS COOOOOOOOL WITH YOU.”

That alone makes it awkward.

8. ~L.K. says:

This is what my dad does all the time when emailing or texting me. He loves putting in weird things, for fun, and because it’s the ‘hip and cool’ thing to do on the internet, like using 4 when you mean for, or U for you. He tends to sign his emails with loldad or luvdad. In conjunction with that, I tend to like signing my name lolliz back. If I still had them on my phone, I’d share some of the curt and strange texts he sends me, but they were erased.

9. whodacares says:

Um, I just ate a shortbread cookie and a cup of M&M’s. Awkward!!!!!

10. KB says:

So far, the only good thing to read was Marney’s regulation email. Unless it’s from Marney, I don’t want to read it!

11. darkshines says:

Yeah this sort of thing doesn’t belong here, its not awkward, or funny, or rude, its just a dull email.

12. Kate's Fate says:

Come on, guys. Gramps is clearly hip and down with the young crowd. Cut him some slack, he’s probably new at emailing and using the computer! I think it’s cute and funny, but not really awkward.

13. Georgiagirl says:

I think it is awkward when you consider that this email was sent to a grandson. Seems to me like “Gramps” was trying to hard to be hip and down with the young people vernacular, thus the awkwardness.

I enjoy reading these little letters and stories. I do hope the website continues with them despite the criticism of others.

14. PaulMorel says:

My mom does the same thing. Not awkward, but really strange. When my fiancee first got an email from my mom, she asked me, “is your mom mad at me?” because the punctuation seems to imply some sort of interrogatory emphasis.

Doesn’t it???????????

15. Jock Butterscotch says:

Do you think that kid could get his hat strap any tighter?

16. Brian says:

enough with these stupid letters and stories

17. foo says:

Not. Awkward. at all.

Please stop posting these and stick with some actually awkward photos.

18. marlo says:

I think it’s great when grandparents can actually use email. I don’t expect them to understand netiquette on top of that. I, too, don’t think this is very awkward.

19. Another David says:

my grandma does the same thing with the caps. she htis the caps lock and than can’t figure out how to turn it off.
    “it works just like the caps lock on a typewriter, grandma”
    “WHAT?”
    “just press the button again, it’ll turn the caps lock off”
    “WHAT?”
    “to turn off caps lock, press the caps lock button again”
    “i DID.”
    “no you didn’t. if it’s still typing in all caps, then you must have hit it twice or something.”
    “i NEVER HIT ANYTHING”
    “ok, grandma. just let it go”

20. Bleah! says:

Lame. I gonna go reread Marney’s email.

• NoEntiende says:

YES. The Marney letter was a classic. The last couple of letters appearing here don’t come anywhere close to being awkward, much less entertaining or notable.

21. Angel says:

I type like this all the time….

22. monkey says:

the last good awkward letter/email was the one that b**** sent about thanksgiving instructions!

23. DVRDiva says:

dumb. Please stop posting this UN-Awkward letters. This is signed Grandma and Grandpa, who clearly do not know how to work a computer.

24. marissa says:

go brewers!
    that’s basically all i got from this entry.

25. JerryLincoln says:

Lame… again

26. A.w.k.w.a.r.d. says:

L…..A…..M….E………………………………………………………………………………..

27. Michael J says:

This is great. Maybe not the most awkward email, but I think this website acknowledges that awkwardness comes in many different shapes and sizes. Perhaps this is more the abnormal side of awkward than the uncomfortable or embarrassing side. What the “H” is wrong with you guys anyway? If anything else, it shows the desire for a generation to speak to another in the language of the latter….. which is probably why Gramps stressed getting all the contact details….. ANYWAY, I THINK GPS IS GREAT!

28. Gordon says:

The only thing awkward about this letter is the fact that I read it.

29. Steph says:

GRANDPA REALLY DOES NOT WANT TO LOSE TOUCH! MAYBE HE WAS USING ALL CAPS BECAUSE HIS HEARING AID WAS TURNED DOWN!

30. Poetikat says:

I don’t get it…what’s so awkward about this? Am I missing something?

31. melissa says:

I read this email twice, and I still don’t get it. Funny? Awkward? I’m missing something, I guess.

32. Sam says:

This looks like something that any grandparent would send – not awkward.

33. jody says:

oh. my. god. where’s the awkwardness? i didn’t wade through the annoying newer format of this just to read that crap. get it together guys! you DON’T have to post every one that’s submitted.

34. Denise says:

I can’t WAIT for the awkward family telegraph category to b approved. I’ve already sorted through my stockpile but it’s so hard to pick just one!

35. Jessica says:

hey awkward snobs………….just wanted to say………..gramps is sooooooo………cool!!!!!!!!!

36. C B says:

Oh, Gram and Gramps–so cute. Do they really know many people who change their E-MAIL address upon moving? I love their attempt at “modern kid” lingo, but then use a capitalized abbreviation for a common expression. (I don’t know if I can type that word in here ?)……..

Stay COOOOOOOL, everyone ;-)

CB…………

37. jemmy says:

That was LAME – not funny, not awkward, no punchline and too much punctuation. Seriously just stick with the photos. The stories are dumb.

38. Nikki says:

Aww, I miss my Grandpa after reading that super cute email…

39. Phill says:

Everyone falls asleep at the keyboard sometimes

40. steve says:

wow, these emails, letters and stories just get better and better
    /sarcasm

I think the awkwardness lies in the people posting them thinking they’re funny or awkward

41. laurie says:

I’m not suuuuuure……………………………………….what the “H” I think of this EMAIL?????????????????????????????

42. John says:

Not awkward guys, come on…

43. Menard says:

Wow………………

44. orlando says:

Awkward………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….. ……………..no.

• joti says:

The dots go all the way across the page into the red!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gram and gramps sound pretty cool, and I can forgive their excessive punctuation and screaming text, but saying “COOOOOOOOL” is just too much for me.

45. Michael says:

This is not awkward…………………or am I missing something?

46. Doc says:

I’m not sure if this is a punctuation fail, or if grandma just kept dozing off at the keyboard. If the number of dots is equivalent to the length of time she passed out, someone better get this one to a doctor!

47. Katerina says:

Wow, I think I just drowned in punctuation.

48. Jess says:

Doesn’t everyone change their email address when they move?

49. Shevek says:

Aaaaaaaaand another not awkward family email

Seriously, ditch this category and keep with the pics

50. JP says:

Again, like the last letter, this is not awkward. In fact, it’s not even funny. What’s the point of posting letters like this? They are only funny if you know the people involved, for the most part.

• Claudes says:

Is that you, Jake? Also I kind of agree on this one; this email is definitely not awkward, but at the same time I think the category should be kept open because of previous gems like Marni’s thanksgiving letter. Just make sure they are awkward!

• hcw80 says:

I agree. Aunt Marni set the bar pretty high, and I am completely serious about that. However we need to acknowledge that was awkward. The complete lack of sensitivity to others, the outragious demands, the nit-picking fault finding, the complete holier that thou attitude. These others are just what most normal families shift through. Good rule of thumb is if after reading it you want to call another family member and ask if they read the email yet and they respond, “OMG, yes!”, it is probably worthy of this site.

• il penseroso says:

Come on, guys! This is from his GRANDPARENTS, clearly trying to talk like “one of the kids.” I find this to be extremely awkward. Do you know any grandparents who would say “how the ‘H’” in daily conversation or type “COOOOOOOOL” to someone their generation? Yeah, doubtful.

• JP says:

I totally exempt Marni from my comment. That is in a class by itself.

Some of the other emails/letters were OK too (none specifically come to mind though other than Marni, which should say something). I guess maybe the category should be edited a little better to guarantee sufficient awkward content to justify inclusion. I don’t think “COOOOOOOOOOL” rises to that level.

• Elle_Woods says:

So what if they used a few dots between thoughts…It think it’s admirable that Gramps and Granny are keeping in touch with the Jake.

Also, they may be trying to politely tell Jake that if he needs help moving his stuff, they are busy that day.