The Cabbage Patch Diaries

August 23rd, 2009

The Cabbage Patch Diaries - *AFP Hall Of Fame*

We still can’t believe he cheated on her.

(submitted by Verda)

341 Responses to “The Cabbage Patch Diaries”

1. Tabitha says:

Seriously, I’m rolling on the ground over here. This pictures is hysterical, and a bit scary too!

2. EightiesBaby says:

..i’m scared..

3. spi666 says:

This is one of the best ever. I love the faded black background portrait. Amazing.

4. LizzyC says:

Chuuuuuckyyyyyy……

5. Angel says:

I would have had my pic with one at that age but my mom always said no ya cant take toys . i think its cute. kids now would want there I pods stuck in there ears or a cellphone so why not a cute little toy doll.

6. Abby says:

I think it’s adorable too. I like these pictures, they make me happy. I wonder where this girl is now. I’d like to hear what she has to say about the day she had her portrait taken with a Cabbage Patch Kid.

7. meri says:

I had to die laughing at this series of photos. But my husband, who never truly appreciates the awkwardness of this site, said “What’s wrong with that? It’s cute.” Whatever.

8. slgrad01 says:

i just laughed so hard that my eyelids went inside of each other. all-time fav

9. matt says:

um, i feel like she’s 18.

10. Dave says:

The bottom left picture looks like the doll just whispered something scary in the girls ear.(what the hell am I thinking, the doll whispering period would be scary)

11. feelinz says:

Not do be a douche, but doesn’t that doll seem a bit too old to have a binky?

12. jnmcnally says:

That floating head is disturbing. The rest I can forgive or understand – it’s a favorite toy. But the floating head goes way too far.

13. holly says:

wow this is awesome!!!!!!

14. Diane says:

I saw this picture yesterday afternoon, and last night, I seriously had a horror-movie-style dream about disembodied doll heads.

15. gamergf says:

I had a picture taken with that leafy background once. Once.

I was 4. And there was no Cabbage Patch involved. Plus I was farging adorable.

16. E says:

Nightmares that is.

17. E says:

That doll gives me nightnamers.

18. Roxanne says:

It’s most awkward that the doll never loses the paci. I hate it when my dolls demand to suck on their pacis in public. C’mon, just for the photo? Please?

19. Laura says:

Why is it the doll managed to look at the camera, but the girl never did?

20. HF_Buick says:

ok, seriously, i had a few CPK dolls too, but i knew better than to take pics with them…that’s what Rainbow Brite was for. =0P

21. JHG says:

Oh come on now – tell me you wouldn’t have done this if your mother had said, “Oh, all right, bring the damn doll!”

22. roachc420 says:

I was 6 when Cabbage Patch kids were first introduced and I thought they were stupid then. I had quite the extensive collection of Garbage Pail Kids when I was 8 or 9, but my mom threw them out. I miss Luke Warm. :(

23. I brought my doll to a family photo when I was about 5 or 6.
    If we saw only one in THIS series, it wouldn’t be awkward. Except for maybe the floating head, that one is LOL worthy.

24. Troy says:

Spooky. Just plain spooky.

25. Karsun says:

Can’t…………..stop……………staring

26. megandrewsmom says:

The one with the doll in the shadows is just plain creepy! Does she know the doll is there, is it stalking her, can you say Chucky?!

27. akprincess72 says:

Definitely Sears, I had a photo with that background too. =D

28. Clydiebaby says:

OK, I think this is pretty cute. She is too young to be held accountable for her lack of coolness, and as a child of the era, I would have been THRILLED to get pics with my cabbage patch kid, Maurice Wallace (whom my grandmother waited overnight OUTSIDE to get me in time for Christmas when I was six. If it was just the creepy floating garbage pail kid shot, I would be snarking though!

29. Leslie says:

I cannot make fun of this. I admit I have a pic of myself with my CPK too. Not my idea though, I swear!

30. Lady Ice says:

Dear God, I think I had that very shirt. This could also be JC Penney photos, as I have many from my childhood with similar backgrounds.

I did not, however, have a Cabbage Patch doll. My parents adopted me at birth and thought the dolls trivialized adoption, so they refused to purchase one. Being aged 7 or so, I really didn’t care, I just wanted one!!!

ah, childhood.

31. AnaBanana says:

Does anyone else’s husband threaten divorce because they spend too much time on this site, or is it just me?

32. Prada says:

I can absolutely imagine having these photos taken with my Cabbage Patch. I’m guessing it was around 1985/86? What can I say, they were crazy times, and us little girls took our Cabbage Patch mothering very seriously!

33. ivelostmyself says:

i didnt know chucky had a pacifier.

34. gat says:

I think I had a shirt like that . . . . probably why I hate plaid now.

35. DonKeyHoTay says:

Toy Story 4 – The AWKWARD years.

36. Chris says:

The best part about this whole blog, really, are the captions!

37. Kelleigh says:

Um…..CREEPY!!!!!

38. Lori says:

Aww I think this is cute (awkward yes, but cute). She was probably very happy to have that doll that he mom probably worked hard to get (or trampled and stomped on a few people to get). Then again, I collect those dolld so I guess I’m not exactly a neutral party here.

39. Deb says:

I know the Looming Doll Head of Doom one is amazing, but for me the champion of awkward is the bottom left. The look in her eyes says, “Check me out, with my hotness,” while she’s clutching a doll that frankly looks like it is trying to escape the frame into the arms of the photographer. Good times.

40. Dana says:

I used to manage a Sears Portrait Studio in the mid ’80s–about the time the Cabbage Patch Craze was at it’s peak. Anyway, this is DEFINATELY a vintage Sears photo, right down to the fake grass and fake fall background.

Hate to admit it, but I had 7 of those stinkin’ dolls and took them in and did a “family photo” of them. I’ll have to see if I can…cough….find one to send in.

Dana

41. Amy says:

Have to agree w/the other commenters who spent their childhood in the 80′s– a Cabbage Patch kid photo shoot would’ve totally been a huge deal among me & my friends.

But the giant floating head in #2? That’s a creepy shot no matter who/what’s in the photo–mom & baby, boyfriend & girlfriend, whatever.

Just, NO. Olan Mills, I am talking to you.

42. Angie says:

in second grade I took my school photo with my cabbage patch doll! Ah, this brings back memories…

43. Robin says:

I think that’s actually kinda adorable :)

44. SweetPetunia says:

You know, the more I think about this, I think they probably had professional pics done as much for Mom as for the girl. Do you know what that Mom probably had to do for that doll? Stand in the freezing cold for five hours, chase a truck, bribe an employee, punch another Mom….it was craziness back then. That Mom was probably so darn proud to get her daughter one and I don’t blame her. LOL Now that I’m a parent, I would probably do the same thing. ;-)

BTW- Do you think the person that submitted this, Verna Davis, is the girl in the picture? I’m always curious about that…

• Patty says:

I wonder if someone will soon have a similar picture to post with her ‘Tickle Me Elmo,’ then!

• charmy says:

My mom did that for me lol…I had one of the first CP kids…then I got the corn silk one with real looking hair :) My mom loved me lol…Adriastella was my first one and Sarah was my second :) But she never made me take a picture with mine lol…

• mel says:

so now that we have tickle me elmo and furby down what will be the next craze that parents will over-spoil their children with? Don’t see the sense in paying thousands of dollars for those things back then when you can get an original from any Salvation Army or Goodwill shelf now do you? wahaahaha but I agree mom insisted she remember the blood lost for this girl’s little boyfriend.

• Donna says:

Yes… I know Verda. It is her.

45. Jeff M says:

On the bottom left picture he’s whispering to her, “This is starting to get awkward.”

46. BigAL says:

Hi, I’m Chucky. Wanna play?

47. Taree says:

Top right reminds me more of garbage pail kids if anyone remembers those spin off collectors cards of the late 80′s early 90′s… Haunting.

48. mccc says:

Where are her teeth?

49. Maya B. says:

After all this, the poor doll probably eventually ended up at the bottom of the toy chest. First loves can be brutal like that…

50. Natalie says:

I don’t know…her smile looks a bit ‘forced’. Maybe Grandma trampled the other parents in Toys R Us for it and forced Susie to get her picture taken.