Getting The Chair

September 8th, 2009

Getting The Chair - Prom

While Paris is often associated with the Eiffel Tower and romance, it is also known for the metal folding chair.

(submitted by Barrett)

95 Responses to “Getting The Chair”

1. April says:

At Marnie’s Prom Photography, this is what you get if your date is not regulation sized.

2. Jenn says:

I think these two are adorable!

3. He’s not actually kneeling on the chair — if you look closely, you can see the entire outline of the chair seat. He’s standing behind it. (Also notice that he’s behind her, and she’s turned sideways and is to the side of the chair. His knees couldn’t be on the chair, since his shoulders are behind it, and her.)

It’s either a low-quality picture making his feet disappear in the chair’s shadow, or the chair is a secret portal to an inky vortex that eats legs. I know which I’m voting for!

4. Brad says:

He’s got a tighter grip on the chair than his date…looks like even a faux Paris couldn’t rescue this faux pas photo.

5. Denise says:

She really is working that striped cardigan…AT THE PROM!!!…lol…
    Anyway, they’re both adorable :)

6. Ashley says:

Man….i had much smaller boobs back then. And he’s taller than me….MUCH taller than me. And yes, he has legs lmao.

7. ziggy says:

looks like he is levitating to me… and man is that women proud or what….’look what I caught’

8. What in the World? says:

My goodness….
    Poor ‘little’ guy….

9. Keara says:

Ummmm I think he’s a little person. And he’s standing on the chair.

10. Romeo says:

I mean Eiffel :$

11. Romeo says:

Worst painted Eiffet Tower EVER

12. Tulip says:

Luther East, Huh…GO EAGLES!
    The problem here is that these are midwestern kids…that explains the tie, fro and general lack of hoochiness.

13. Barrett says:

After reading the comments…let me satisfy everyone’s curiosity lol

I am about 6’1,she is 5’0…i didnt kneel on the chair cus im so much taller…i just wanted to “toss things up” & the photographer suggest the random folding chair that was in the room…so i figured it wud look ok since he suggested it…

Yes i have legs! LOL

& that tie wasnt that bad! & my hair looked good too u haters! haha

man im glad my picture brought so much joy/cringing to so many ppl lmao

• Anne says:

Barrett, I think you learned a valuable lesson here: never trust a photographer’s assurance that his idea of “different” is a good one!

• Jeff M. says:

I WAS RIGHT!!!! You DID want to one up and show off the latest “leg shelf” style.

+1 FOR ME!!!!

dang, I’m good!

(way off on the name though. sorry about that)

14. Barrett says:

LOL!!!! thats me in the pic!…i told the photographer i wanted sumthing different…he suggested that haaha

15. Katie says:

Oh Lord. Luther East? As in Luther East High School in Lansing, IL?

16. Does he have legs? If not, why doesn’t he have a wheel chair?
    Or does he drag around the folding chair? Somebody help him!

17. dryoptera says:

No, I think he’s way taller than his date. Their belts would be at the same height, but his shoulders are over her head. I think they’re using the chair to make him appear shorter than he is. It’s awkward anyway you go, but might have better if he was just sitting in the chair. Or if he found a taller date…

18. Iquo says:

LOL! Barrett! I can’t believe u uploaded this! LOL! I always wondered why you had a chair there! Were other people sitting before durin their pics? And u just decided to use it as a prop?! LOL! Oh us! And Our GHETTO SCHOOL! LE! Luther East baby! Why am I reppin it when I hated it?! LOL!

19. Joanne says:

1) Why does this guy have a fro in 2005?
    2) Is he kneeling or does he not have legs?
    3) Why the hell would a photographer pose people like this at a prom?

20. Ninjacat says:

I like that she isn’t dressed all hoochy.

21. Etraking says:

Ok Ok…hold your horses people…the guy does have legs…he is merely kneeling on the chair because he is way taller than the date…this however does not take away the awkwardness of the photo, what with the afro, the tie….and the chair.

22. three things.

1. eiffel tower(?) in the background
    2. “watercolor” painting
    3. that awkward uncomfortable smile on that guy. probably scared that he might fall off the chair.

seriously, it’s like it’s well thought. well thought.
    just saying.

23. Not sure says:

I don’t think he is shorter than her. If you pay attention he is already about her height when he is kneeling down even if he didn’t have the chair. I think it is there for him to be shorter rather than taller. Awkward either way.

24. Other Dave says:

I think he’s kneeling in the chair because he’s too freakin tall to fit in the pic?

25. Emily says:

I actually think the guy is really tall and kneeling on the chair was the only way to fit in the picture. Look at the length of his torso…it’s longer than his date’s dress. Also, I think you can see a foot in the shadows of the chair.

He’s got legs…they’re just awkwardly posed…or photoshopped out. ;-)

26. sallyomalley says:

Does he have legs or not?!?!?! I HAVE TO KNOW!!!!

27. Karen says:

So is this young man kneeling or does he truly have no legs? I cannot possibly make any jokes if it is the latter.

28. dre says:

i love this caption…it totally makes the photo

29. Awkward Turtle says:

When I first saw this, I thought it was from the ’70s!

30. Ummm...........Greg? says:

Makin fun of a brotha with no legs ain’t kosher

31. Jman says:

Woops that came out like three times, sorry bout that

32. john in co says:

Lemme guess….even with the afro……the guy is shorter than his date?

33. barbett says:

Wow it’s the only way to look taller then your date. It’s the chair!

34. Hexipooh says:

“Small World” or short world? Either way, AWKWARD and a safety hazard—kneeling on a folding chair!

35. Christopher says:

*seat. Gah. Damned genie magic.

36. Jeff M. says:

Wanting to one up the pathetic arm shelf, Tyrone shows off the newest style – the leg shelf.

37. Ash says:

oh…does he not have legs? that would make for an awkward dancing partner..

38. Robert says:

what is the french word for awkward???

39. nicole says:

I quite enjoy his fro…allmost as much as the whole pic :)

40. Teresa says:

I’m not sure if I should laugh at this or not because I think that guy might actually not have legs.

41. Susie says:

That must be the worst depiction of the Eiffel Tower I’ve ever seen. The tie doesn’t win any contests either. I think the chair is the third most awkward thing in the photo.

42. Venice says:

She says ‘ok I won the bet, give me my money now’

43. Cati says:

Aw…poor guy’s legs end at the knees!

44. Kimberly says:

Awwww, so sweetly awkward! Is he a “little person” ? That would be even more awkward! ….and It’s a Small World is the theme, rotfl!

• Ninjacat says:

No he’s not a little person. If he were his arms would be shorter. My guess based on his body positioning and proportions is that he’s MUCH taller than she is and is using the chair to kneel on so he’s at a closer height.

45. Tamara says:

I wonder if the guy forgot his shoes, hence the feet hidden behind the chair.

46. Catinthehat says:

No no no, that’s not a chair, it’s his “party night” prosthetic leg. His friend is supporting him on one side because he hasn’t got room for a matching pair.

47. Mary says:

It sort of looks like he’s an amputee. If that’s the case, “A Small World” seems cruelly ironic.

• joan hodges says:

Hahahahahahahaha. This is definitely the most insightful of the “does the guy even have legs” line of commentary.

• Caryn says:

I wonder why, if he’s an amputee, did they take away his wheelchair? If he had no legs, it would have been a fine picture had he been allowed to keep his wheelchair. Or at least been given a loaner for the night

48. Jason says:

wow, really?

seriously, i think this guy has no legs.

• lynne says:

seriously, where are his legs????? it’s very troubling.

• binkymae says:

Ya’ll are going to feel really bad if we find out he is an amputee who needed the chair to enhance his height for the picture. Why else would he use it? If those are his knees, he would probably be taller without the chair.
      Think about it he is very tall from the waist up, look how long his arms are, and look at the grip he has on that chair. This makes the “small world” label really callous and the photographer a real jerk for not zooming in! LOL

• nite owl says:

I worry about his legs as well. BUT, if he IS an amputee, how does he balance on stumps? I’m sorry, but wouldn’t he have to have something on the bottom of the stumps?

49. Is the man smaller than the lady? Does he carry the chair with him everywhere they go to keep their relationship in balance?

• Tamara says:

I bet the chair was for getting a picture of the girl on the guy’s lap but one of them said “no way” and since there were probably 50 other couples in line they did a hurried pose instead of throwing the stupid, totally out of place chair to the side. One of those cheap, plastic white benches from Home Depot would have looked way better and, by the way, the Eiffel Tower is like in the middle of a metropolis, isn’t it? Not in the midst of a park with trees, etc.

• HF_Buick says:

no, he forgot his lifts…this was the best they could do. =0P

50. Dave says:

I think I have to study this photo for an hour to fully appreciate all it has to offer. I think it may be a stroke of genius.

Right now I’m just fixated on the use of the phrase “A Small World”. And the idea of having a homecoming photo in front of a picture of the Eiffel Tower in Paris (assuming the homecoming event wasn’t actually IN Paris) … and … and …