The Enthusiasts

October 13th, 2009

The Enthusiasts - Family Portrait

Nothing complements the beauty of mother nature quite like a semi-automatic weapon.

(submitted by anonymous)

217 Responses to “The Enthusiasts”

1. Emily says:

This was funny for a second but it’s mostly really sad and unsettling.

2. Ellen says:

Uh, real gun safety is pointing the weapon so that you know where a stray bullet will go… So you point the muzzle toward the ground, not up in the air. Because in physics if you shoot something into the air, it will eventually come down.

• iLOLd says:

OMG!!!!! Someone else who actually knows what “muzzle sweep” is!!!

XD

• Jake says:

It’s true that point down is safer than pointing up. However it is much harder to keep the gun pointed down and also if dirt gets in the muzzle it could cause an explosion and injure the shooter. So up is alright, it’s highly unlikely a bullet coming down will hit someone. Also fingers are off triggers.

3. Denise says:

Someone help me…I can’t find the baby in the picture. Oh wait, is that a toddler peeking out from behind the 2nd motorcycle?

4. Angie says:

the more modern cousins of the Van Helsings?

5. Abe says:

I know this person. Extremely knowledgeable about firearms, and a heck of a nice guy.

Think what you may, but some people take their constitutional rights seriously. I see nothing wrong with that.

6. Paula says:

I see nothing awkward about that photo!

7. Jen F says:

I’m Canadian and I just….don’t….get…it

• Snowrider says:

I’m not trying to be negative. I’m just asking because I don’t know…OK? Is there anything like the American second ammendment in Canada? I’m curious…..

• kim says:

No. We have the charter of rights and Freedoms but nothing about guns. In fact we have strict gun laws (by american standards) and as a result, very low gun related deaths. There are other countries with stricter laws who’s crime/death rate involving guns is even lower then canada.

• Jen F says:

snowrider…I haven’t studied the Canadian Constitution lately, but I don’t think there’s anything in there about the right to bear arms…I could be wrong though. Don’t get me wrong, there are lots of folks (particularly those in rural areas – farmers, hunters etc) who own guns in this country, but I would guess that most of those guns are hunting rifles and not semi-automatic weapons and besides hunting are probably used more for scaring away bears or coyotes. The whole idea of fighting for your right to amass Uzis or carry concealed weapons just isn’t part of the mind-set up here

• living free....on guns says:

I’m canadian too and this make me happy to have gun laws!! (save all the negative comments and 2nd ammenment talk. Your happy to have it and we’re happy to not)

• funda62 says:

I’m American and I just don’t get it. This has nothing to do with 2nd amendment rights in my book. I don’t think (some of) these guns are legal under any amendment.

8. Jackie says:

Oh please please please tell me that that is just the angle and that little girl is not pointing a gun at her sister’s throat! And I clicked in the picture to see how many “Van Helsings” comments there were. So far so good!

9. Maya B says:

Charleton Heston’s family continues the legacy.

10. mjd says:

Congrats people for exercising your 2nd amendment rights, that is truly awkward these days.

11. Ray says:

Perspective… none of the weapons are pointed at a person…

12. steve says:

“Hurry and take the picture…I have to go meet my parole officer.”

13. Christine says:

this is creepy to me!

14. spockx says:

Ahhh, this is what made America great : mullets, tattoos, motorcycles and machine guns. Throw in some small children and the only thing missing is some sort of dead animal tastefully laid out in front of them.

PS. Technically, the person on the left has a lullet (female mullet), though this is beauifully counterpointed by the skin head seated on the right. Ahhh, such symmetry!

15. Tommy says:

Nothing complements the beauty of mother nature quite like a semi-automatic weapon… yeah and motorcycles too…weird…

16. Greatdaniel13 says:

It’s kind of like The Waltons……if they were members of the Hell’s Angels.

17. Chris says:

I see nothing unusual about this photo. I like the uzi the little girl is holding – very good choice for a child of her size!

18. Lindy says:

That one girl better be careful..her gun is pointed right at the younger
    girl’s neck!

• Jeanne says:

No, it’s not. The older girl in the center is clearly sitting several inches in front of the younger girl — you can see her left knee is in front of the younger girl’s knee. In that position, the gun she’s holding is pointed at least a foot in front of any part of the younger girl’s body and therefore not dangerous.

• Mamacrab says:

Oh my yes. As long as they leave a 12 inch safety margin, it is very safe for siblings to point large guns at each other. Safety first!

• Chelle says:

I think that’s his wife and that’s their child

19. Glicks says:

This is a picture that needs a soundtrack of ZZ Top.

20. Morag says:

What is WITH Americans and their bizarre love of guns?!

21. Jewbacca aka jerry says:

I bet they were just crazy about President Obama!

or

Is that Sarah Palin’s family??

22. Awesome. Also awesome is the fact that the sullen one in the front seems to be aiming at the cheerful little sister’s head.

23. Andrea says:

The Enthusiasts have just laid waste the Van Helsings, haven’t they?

I have girded myself in anticipation of the next 70,000 semi-automatic jokes. May they beating of the dead joke begin.

24. Cristina says:

wooooooooooow

25. Kim says:

And then you wonder … how did the kids go so wrong?? Oh that’s how!! Please tell me those aren’t real guns. Not so much akward as scary!! Kids should NOT be playing with or posing with a gun!!!!!

• Boppie says:

I would much rather these girls know how to properly use these guns (rifles?) which they clearly do, than not – since they must be a regular part of family life. Nothing worse than being one of those helpless females who are afraid of guns. Ignorance doesn’t make them go away…like teen pregnancy, or STD’s…

• Kim says:

Funny studies show houses with guns end up in accidental death on the children in the house. Gun safety would be better not having one in the first place. Trust me I have no ignorance when it comes to guns. I know all to well the damage they can do to people and children are all too often the ones that pay the price. I’m hardly helpless, I’m empowered by the knowledge that keeps my family safe.

• Boppie says:

Life is about risk – and you can’t keep children safe from everything, no matter how good a mother you are, Kim. This family has guns, and I’m glad that these girls clearly know how to use them, and are comfortable with using them properly. Better that than being curious about them, and being told that they’re not old enough yet. I suspect they know what bullets really do, instead of what they see on TV – that makes me feel a lot safer!

• Elle says:

I’m not crazy about guns in the house myself, but I would venture to guess that the studies showing the accidental deaths with guns rarely, if ever, involve a family such as the one pictured. People with this kind of enthusiasm for guns respect them enough in general to actually make sure that they are handled safely. Gun accidents happen because people don’t take care to store them safely and to make sure that everyone in the house knows how to handle them properly. Honestly, people like this with guns scare me a lot less than that guy in the suburbs without a clue who gets a gun because he’s terrified of home invaders.

26. Klondike says:

the girl in front is totally ready to use it too!

27. David says:

Omg, I hope those are fake.

28. CarpoolMom says:

Baseball, apple pie, and the 2nd amendment!

29. Chadillac says:

The family that kills together, stays together…

30. Mike says:

The one couple traded their bike for a child.

31. Craig says:

I would not want to get caught peeing in the bushes by them.

32. Celeste says:

I don’t know what to say about this picture.

1. That sweet little girl in the pink dress holding the gun just bugs me to no end.
    2. The older sister is pointing her gun towards the little sister.
    3. Who’s bright idea was it to get the family together, get them cleaned up and dressed, find a spot, and bring a photographer to “capture the moment” with big guns?

This whole picture just disturbs me.

• salsa says:

1) AGREED!
      2) Nope, it’s not– the older girl’s gun is clearly closer to camera, not pointing at the little one’s head.
      3) Somebody who wanted to see them get in trouble? Because assault rifles like that aren’t entirely legal…

• iLOLd says:

3) Wrong.
        Because:
        A) Those aren’t assault rifles, unless they were bought illegally. Assault rifles (automatic weapons) aren’t sold on the open market LEGALLY. Lots of guns that look like them are, some of which are made by the same companies.
        B) The Clinton ban expired, and neither side of the “aisle” did anything, AND the media didn’t make a big deal out of it either.

LONG LIVE THE VAN HELSINGS!!!

• Snowrider says:

Define for us all please…exactly what defines an “assult rifle”? Good luck….

• iLOLd says:

An assault rifle is a rifle designed for combat, with selective fire (capable of shooting in both fully automatic and semi automatic modes).

Whew!

Thanx for the luck, it took nearly 10 seconds. XD

Btw, gun legislation (like all legislation) is full of legal terms that you should know regardless of which side of an issue you’re on.

33. Chuck Martel says:

I see everyone has their fingers on the outside of the trigger guards. Good. good. R. Lee Ermey taught you proper trigger hygiene.

34. em says:

…especially one pointed at your little sister’s jugular. That puny twerp, always smiling…

35. Emily says:

I’m all for 2nd amendment rights and all… but this is RIDICULOUS! I don’t care if that gun isn’t loaded… YOU DO NOT LET CHILDREN HANDLE GUNS! EVER!

• NinjaGato says:

I have said this before about AFP’s postings in relation to posting pictures of kids with guns.

• Abe says:

The attitude by the two people above is both intolerant, ignorant, and irresponsible.

I can think of no better time to teach people about gun safety than when they are children. I suspect that the children in this picture know better how to handle a gun than most adults. And that is a good thing.

• Anna Rexia says:

Don’t you two have some kind of rally in Berkeley to attend? Some kids are brought up knowing how to properly handle a firearm and respect the power of one. I’d rather they be educated in gun safety than to play with a gun found at a friend’s house while their parents are out of the house.

• jean says:

But she looks so happy! =}

That’s just freaky.

• eldi says:

I’ve handled & fired firearms as a child, ever since I was about 6 or 7 years old, but always under close supervision from my father. And even then, I had gun safety drilled into me, & had to demonstrate that I could handle a firearm safely before I was allowed to shoot even a bb gun.

I personally have no problem with kids shooting guns for recreation, as long as they can exhibit good safety habits & are under close supervision of a responsible adult…

• Bianca says:

Why?

How do you expect them to learn?

• Jake says:

Kids that grroen up learning to shoot safely will keep doing it for the rest of there lives. It harder to teach people things as they get older. Many kids are safely brough up every year shooting. Myself included.

36. Nancy says:

I’d say something snarky, but I don’t want them to get angry.

37. Liz says:

I love how the guys’ weapons all have the biggest, uh, hand grips? Compensating much? LOL!

38. Trina says:

Look out, Van Helsings. We are coming for you!

39. Lady Ice says:

Wow. Is this the one that replaces the Van Helsings?

40. Anne says:

This is all kindsa awesome.

41. Eric says:

I’m hoping it’s just the angle, but THERE’S A GUN POINTED AT THAT LITTLE GIRL’S FACE!

42. Hero Hog says:

Hey, they are practicing gun safety and all have their fingers off the triggers and have the guns pointing away from anyone. They have nice biles too! Not awkward at all.

43. Troy says:

Looks like a Ted Nugent family reunion.

44. Max says:

It’s a compound bow

45. RENEE says:

They look like extras from that TV show
    Sons of Anarchy….

46. Andy says:

Wow, this family aren’t just “enthusiastic” gun owners, they know their stuff. Look at the trigger fingers. Not a one on the trigger, even the little ‘uns. Good on them!

If you’re afraid of a gun, you’ve never fired one. You’d be surprised at how much fun they are.

47. Jorie says:

The Kind of People you just try to avoid… But can’t.

48. princessluceval says:

I don’t know what’s scarier, teen angst with a gun, or insanely happy little girl with a semiautomatic!

49. Joey says:

Correction: There is nothing “semi” about those guns.