The Long Kiss

October 29th, 2009

The Long Kiss - Wedding

This guy has really been looking forward to his wedding night.

(submitted by K)

98 Responses to “The Long Kiss”

1. Tim says:

…here I was thinking that it was the windstorm that kept them apart. Now I know:

they’re POLAR OPPOSITES!

2. haller says:

“We’re all crazy mennonites livin’ in a graveyard paradise….”

3. conrad says:

ok i actually know these two people (they went to college with me) and they are actually mennonite! not all mennos dress conservatively, most in fact dress and act exactly like everyone else. Anyway, awesome to stumble across rach and mike charles on awkward family photos!

4. John says:

Come on, people, and especially Katie! Mennonites run the whole spectrum- from cover-your-shoulders-and-elbows to congregations that wear jeans and tee shirts to worship. I happen to know this couple, and they’re Mennonite. The bride’s father, in fact, is the pastor at that very church. JLL

5. Katie says:

My mom has been to a number of Mennonite weddings and said she has NEVER seen a wedding dress like this one. They always cover the shoulders and upper arms and are cut more simply than this one although the fabrics may be quite fancy.

I think a non-Mennonite wedding couple came across this sign and decided to make fun of Mennonites. Not cool.

• Kate says:

Um, I’m Mennonite and my wedding dress was similar to this one but with a halter neckline – we don’t actually have a dress code. Certainly some Mennonite churches are more conservative than others, but we’re all fairly normal – you may have even seen one and not known it ;)

• jacque says:

Let me see if I have this right…..Two people, driving down the road, in full wedding attire, possibly on their own wedding day, took the time to pull over, climb into the shrubs, have a third person along with a camera, just to somehow mock the Mennonites? Wow, I really hope you are just joking and I’m not gettin’ it.
      If this couple is not really Mennonite, did we explore the thought that maybe other denominations can marry there? I may be way off, but I think my theory is at least sane. (yes I realize my response is “not cool”)

• Shorince says:

No, I’m a Mennonite and my best friend goes to that church. I’ve been there a few times. That couple attends the church (my friend knows them well), they are not making fun of it. They just aren’t a conservative Mennonite couple and that is not a Conservative Mennonite church (see that_girl’s” post above). Members of that particular Mennonite church, like most Mennonites, dress just like any other Protestant Christian group. Your Mom likely attended Conservative Mennonite weddings. The grave yard behind them is real and very old. It’s pretty cool.

• another Mennonite says:

Actually, I know this couple, and it’s authentic. Your mom must only know much more conservative Mennonites. As someone stated above, many Mennonites are indistinguishable in appearance from any average individual. Knowing Michael and Rachael, this whole thing is seriously funny.

6. Sniper_X says:

C’MON GUYS! this one doesn’t belong here actually.
    It’s kinda cool!

They are re-creating the opening scene from ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW!

The graveyard next to the church and everyhting is exactly like the movie, even thier “kissie pose” is accurate!

I cant beleive no one here CAUGHT THIS!

Oh well.

7. that_girl says:

For all who asked — Mennonites do NOT dress like Amish! Only the most conservative groups! The Mennonite Church USA (the biggest group) look just like any other Protestant out there, in terms of dress, technology use, and how we live our daily lives. This is an MCUSA church near Philly.

8. Jen says:

New idea: could be they just happen to have the same name, or not and are posing to mock the church. I bet it’s not rachael and michael

9. carol says:

Yep, he’s ready. Don’t hold him back! It might take awhile to untangle her veil from the bushes though.

10. Snowrider says:

I’m not so bugged by the graveyard next to the Church. It’s kind of common….at least in rural northern west Michigan. HOWEVER, there’s a hospital in Kalamazoo with a big graveyard and nothing but a fence separting the two. YEEEESH!!!

11. Pertigal says:

I have no problem with the cementery….lots of older churches have cemeteries attached. Guess it made funerals easier! I have no problem with the veil or even the squatting so you can see the sign…but WHY is the groom puckering up when he is so far away from her? I think he is in permanent kiss mode! They are a beautiful couple though, if he can get his lips unpuckered. And she does look lovely.

12. Mary says:

Aw, the lovely traditional wedding squat in the bushes pose! Hahah!

13. laurie says:

‘Til sign do they part.

14. anna says:

They both look like they’re taking care of business – squatting near bushes always says potty break to me.

15. Hayley says:

Ahhhh!!! I live near this church!

16. Nancy says:

Don’t the Mennonite dress like the Amish?

• carol says:

No. They aren’t as strict.

• carol says:

er… never mind my other comment. It’s the use of electricity they’re not as strict about. I don’t know about clothing.

• amanda says:

they are not as strict about the clothing. yes they are still Amish but it is a different religin and they use electric drive cars and wear normal clothes.

• Grace says:

It’s a branch of Amish, coming a long way. Clothing is much different, like normal clothing. It’d pretty much like living a normal life, you can’t tell people are Mennonite from their looks. It just comes down to beliefs, not appearance. I would say this is a pretty normal dress, if not, showing a little more than others I’ve seen

• Katie says:

OK, I actually am a Mennonite and went to the Mennonite high school that’s less than five minutes down the road from this church. We are not really all that close to the Amish at all in terms of dress or anything else. I drive a red sports car and (obviously) use the Internet. Actually I don’t see what’s so funny about this pic other than the fact that the sign is incredibly short and her veil looks like it’s caught in the bushes. I think it’s pretty cute :)

• Kathy says:

There are differnent branches of Mennonite. Where I live, the women still where dresses and caps, but there are two different groups here: one stricter with their clothing, one with a little bit more choice (small veils on caps), but still dresses and caps.

• Kitten K. Boodle says:

I think the squatting makes it awkward, Katie. And the fact that they are so far apart.

17. Shanti says:

Is that a cemetary behind them? O_o

18. “Dammit, Janet, I love you!”

19. joyce says:

Haha! I wouldn’t even have noticed the graveyard behind them if so many hadn’t pointed it out. I think they’re just squatting so their heads wouldn’t obscure their names on the sign – they’re too tall if they stand up and part of the sign would be blocked. there is something weird about that bouquet though.

20. Jeff B. says:

Are those gravestones on the other side of that sign? That could be a frighteningly accurate omen of where this marriage is headed…

21. Anne says:

Is anyone else debating whether or not her veil is stuck on that bush? If so, it’d just be the icing on the cake for this photo…

22. Jess says:

holy s****, that’s down the road from me, and yes, that’s the cemetery

23. Livi says:

Hah, that’s really close to the town I grew up in.

24. Megan says:

The flowers look photoshopped looks like they were holding hands and then the flowers were put in. That’s weird.

• Phootoshop says:

It’s that new “fake Photoshop” technology that makes it look like your picture has been Photoshopped, just like all the movie stars. For the prestige, you know.

I actually don’t think Mennonites believe in Photoshopping.

25. Ruthie says:

I love that dress, though :)

26. WaltzingMtilda says:

Is that in Pennsylvania? I feel like I know that town name.

I also think the pic is cute.

27. Freak Speely says:

Wow, their tombstone is HUGE!

28. Niecey says:

He does look a little more keen than she does. I think he might pounce…

29. Alyse says:

Could be a good pic if A) they weren’t awkwardly squatting B) they weren’t so far apart and C) there wasnt a graveyard in the background

30. Mel says:

It looks like they are popping a squat in the bushes.

31. Venice says:

hahaha too bad she’s not pregnant, that would have been awesome.

• Slappy says:

There was an Amish gal in our neck of the woods who was pregnant before the wedding a few years back. I have all the respect in the world for the Amish and Mennonite…..but it was kinda funny.

32. Ali says:

Anyone else notice that the last five letters of their names are the same? :)

33. Angie says:

This should be called “One Wedding and a Funeral: The Sequel”

34. Angie says:

no to mention, it Towamenchin (say it out loud if you don’t get it)

35. Amy says:

Even funnier is that it’s next to a busy overpass. People driving by probably thought it was odd. :) I like it though. It kind of reminds me of those “cute couple” wedding toppers. :) Well, Best of Luck to Rachael and Michael–whoever you are. :)

• Denise says:

Yes, yes, best wishes to the happy couple. That said…Is that sign supposed to be seen by passing motorists? Or just people that wander right up to it? Talk about a short sign. They can’t even stand up or they block the message. Way to go, Sign Engineer!

36. Madness says:

Her veil is caught in the bushes! That’s why they can’t meet.

Seriously, her gown is lovely. There had to be a better way to stage this!

37. “A Wedding And Some Funerals”

38. Liz H says:

Crouching couple, hide in bushes. Ancient Mennonite secret.

39. Adrienne says:

Wow, she’s a little scantily clad for a Mennonite!

• Ashles says:

lol nah it’s all good, the Mennonites around that area are more modern. Lol I would know, I’m one of them and I live there ;)

40. blah says:

is that a cemetary behind them? :/

41. Angie says:

“I know pronounce you husband and wife. You may now shake the wife’s hand”

42. Taree says:

That’s actually kind of beautiful.

43. gina says:

Wedding night might have been delayed due to muscle cramps after that ridiculous pose!

44. HeatherW says:

The graveyard in the background really adds that romantic feel this whole picture was missing.

45. Jen says:

Gotta love the grave yard in the background….

46. tanyaya says:

that half-squatting position looks really awkward. it looks like they should have chairs underneath them. feel the burn baby !!

and are those gravestones in the background? (i hope not!)

47. arcane says:

I love the cemetery behind them.

48. Floobity says:

49. Sophie says:

Are you sure her name is Rachael?

She looks more like a “Chastity” to me.

50. Cee says:

You know, this is an awkward post, but I like it. I like that they posed in front of the sign.. although why they posed like this? Weird.. but I still like it!