The Onion 2

November 10th, 2009

The Onion 2 - *AFP Hall Of Fame*

Welcome to the carnival.

(submitted by Rachel)

207 Responses to “The Onion 2”

1. Marie says:

Who says a family photo can’t show the family as they naturally are? Hooray for realism!

• Beryl says:

I’m the oldest daughter on the left, wearing the wild slippers(barefeet or slippers only, allowed in our home) & pregnant to boot! That’s my husband with the green shirt acting like nothing is going on. All photos of him always turn out so well!
      I agree with your comment Maria. We couldn’t stage this one, this is our family, as they naturally are!

2. Sarah says:

It looks like the staged, opening shots of each family before “Family Feud” starts.

3. Jan Brady says:

If they tried to repeat this it would be impossible. Perfection, it could be a movie poster.

4. laurie says:

Like something out of The Da Vinci Code, I find myself searching for clues and hidden meanings.

5. bin says:

Perfect! I love this photo! And to think that once everyone settles down and poses for the camera, it’ll still be a hilarious mess.

6. Leiah says:

Almost looks like those crazy Family Feud introductions…LOVE LOVE LOVE this one!

7. Patti says:

my favorite is the guy on the far right hand side….his expression is priceless.

8. ricocarlos says:

Brilliant, simply brilliant. The photo conveys action and indvidual personalities as well as seeming to describe family archetypes.

9. Maria says:

hahaha! Only one guy actually looks in the camera but his outfit matches the older lady’s outfit, sohe looks funny too :-) Perfect!

10. Charlie says:

Ha! Even the guy standing on the right looks pretty stiff with that hand gesture. “Oh dear me.”

11. carol says:

OH MY GOSH! This picture makes me so happy! I’m not the only one who can’t get a single decent family photo. I think I love these people.

12. QuinellaX says:

This reminds me of the opening shots of the families on the Family Fued!

13. Sue says:

This is awesome! Where so many photos are centered on resolving one mishap, this one has a couple of potential disasters brewing — the children losing patience, the red-striped woman in the center who looks rather alarmed. I especially like the dog’s posture and how much the woman holding him doesn’t notice that Fido is about to jump to someone else. It does look a little stage-y, but who cares? Bravo!

14. Patricia says:

Bwa ha ha ha! This is awesome in so many directions. Can’t decide my favorite part – maybe the look on the dog-lap lady’s face. I’m sure she brought this up for years to come, using it as a weapon, “Oh, you mean like that time you tried to kill us all by having that picture taken?”

This is an all-time AFP classic – I’m thinking of setting it as a desktop image.

15. Kelly says:

This picture is AWESOME. I could study it for hours with everything that’s going on. Love the guy in the upper right – total “I’ve had it” written all over his expression.

It’s how I picture a Griswold photo shoot would look.

Best. Picture. Evaarrr.

16. JeV says:

i wonder: what made the photographer press the button? It can not be that 3 seconds prior to this moment everyone was in perfect position, could it?

Apart from Grey’s anatomy, this is my favourite so far.

17. This is actually pretty cool. It has a staged look – but well-staged.

18. Whoa says:

If Marnie sees this picture, there will be hell to pay.

NO ONE will wear the same color as anyone else. I COULD NOT BE MORE SERIOUS!

19. V. says:

This is the best EVER. I feel honored to leave a comment.

20. Nikki says:

This picture is great! It reminds me of the old-school Family Feud shows, where the families would pose in the fake ‘living rooms’ before the game started. Awesomeness!!

• Modine says:

I thought the same thing, Family Feud! They’re just waiting to come rushing over to meet
      Richard Dawson. I love this picure. You can just imagine the chaos. And you can almost smell the Deadly Dog Breath

21. Mary says:

So awesome! Green shirt guy is too cool for this bunch. Born ready for anything. And I think Granny wore the black and white checked knit slippers to counteract the black and white stripey sleeves thing going on at the other end of the picture. I love how Auntie is really pissed that she had to hold the smelly dog too! I love this photo!

22. scott says:

The guy in the red is me when we get our family photos taken… especially with the in-laws.

23. Tim says:

…looks like a typical Saturday at my place. What’s the big deal?

24. GR says:

Awesome. I see others have already had the same reaction, but my first thought was, This is a Norman Rockwell painting!

25. Carol says:

They look like a family in a Wes Anderson film or as mentioned above, a musical family ala “A Mighty Wind”. Total awesomeness.

26. Romeo says:

It’s a great picture, given that it was spontaneus and no one except for the guy in green is really ready, it looks pretty artistic =) I wish my family had one of these!

27. Mark says:

The Royal Tannenbaums – live on stage

28. JJ says:

Looks like Grandma and Grandpa decided to go “matchy-matchy” with their brown and green outfits. Sadly, they were separated for the photo because if they’d been closer, they would have blended into one big blob.

29. Joanne says:

Why is the lady in pink and the lady in the red and white dress wearing slippers? The lady on the end in the brown pants has no shoes on-just socks! Did they think their feet would not be in the picture?? You can see the wires on the floor to the lighting! This picture is a true work of art!

30. JJ says:

OK, whey are at least two of the women wearing slippers and the one on the end is in her stocking feet?

31. D'OH says:

All I can do is laugh..This photo is just too awesome for words. I LOVE IT!!

32. Amberosia says:

These people are so awkwardly posed/candid they totally look like they’re about to be contestants on the Family Feud.

I love the guy on the right holding his head. He has that, “For the love of God, SHUT UP and take the damn picture,” look about him.

• George says:

OMG… you guess it exactly,,,, well almost!
      Why do I know, because that is me!
      Taken in 1977, posted by one of my daughters.
      Guy in blue shirt is my father-in-law and the professional photographer.

33. Michael says:

This is — so far — my favorite picture on this site. So much awesomeness rolled into one.

34. AdoptMe says:

I love this one. Not so much awkward as “action-packed”. It does look sort of staged but if so, everyone is playing their part beautifully. And what’s with the big gap down the middle?

• kandee says:

I’m thinking Uncle Fester was a no-show and the gap was where he was to have stood. I love this pic – CLASSIC! So much going on – it takes several minutes to actually digest all the different mini stories. Great job AFP! hahaha.

35. Bill says:

If Norman Rockwell had taken photographs, this is what it would look like. I love it.

36. Deb says:

This picture is awesome! It looks like a shot for an album cover, or something from “A mighty wind” or Waiting for Guffman”

37. Heather says:

I’m guessing the dog farted, but that doesn’t explain the crochet pom-poms or the dark pantyhose with the white fluffy slippers

38. AwkWerrrd says:

Hahahhahaha! I love love love love LOVE this picture!

*High-5* green-shirt guy!

39. Schbeb says:

Nice slippers pink lady.

40. Angie says:

this is actually the screen shot of the new up and coming sitcom “Dysfunction”

41. Blythe says:

The guy in the green shirt is the only one that’s actually ready for the picture, lol…

42. Meri says:

Oh man! I love how Granny’s and Auntie’s shoes more or less exactly fail to match.

43. Another Girl says:

This family auditioned for the Brady Bunch but sadly never got a call back.

44. Colleen says:

This is perfection. Possibly the most perfect picture I have ever seen on this site. I’d almost say it was staged, but I can’t see how they’d be able to pull that off. There’s just so much going on!

45. Tim S says:

A 20 minute sitting takes an hour and a half. I had a few of those when I was a studio photographer.

46. Laygoon says:

Looks like a photo-advertisement for something. But what? Maybe a photographer in the background saying, “Calgon, take me away!”

• binkymae says:

Maybe an ad for the juice box that the little girl is refusing to relinquish. Love this family!!!

• JJ says:

Um, based on their hair and fashions, this was taken in the 70′s. They didn’t have juice boxes back then. Look carefully, I think the girl is holding a stuffed animal.

47. Betsy says:

This has the cool “non-posed” vibe of a Norman Rockwell painting.

48. Piki says:

The guy in the green was born ready.

49. Vicky says:

I love how the guy in the green shirt is posed and smiling as if this shot is going to be the keeper.

And I’m not the fashion police but black & white knitted pom-pom slippers for a family portrait? Seriously?

• funda62 says:

Exactly what I was thinking. This may be my favorite AFP ever!

• CB says:

the lady on the far right isn’t wearing shoes, and the one next to her looks like she’s wearing slippers as well…..perhaps they did not anticipate the picture would include their feet, and/or they are advocates for comfort, or something ?

• Karen says:

Hey…Looks good with the apricot, double knit pant suit!

• Sue says:

I was almost wondering if this was color-coded by couple. What’s the chance that both a man and a woman would be wearing that same shade of green, on the same day, to the same event?

Then again, the melon-colored jumpsuit matches none of the men. Thank God.

• carol says:

What a crack up! Green shirt is thinking “maybe this one time, it’ll turn out right.” This is probably the 15th try.

50. James says:

I feel your pain, guy on the right. My eyes hurt too