Party Favors

December 2nd, 2009

Party Favors - Behind The Awkwardness

“This is my Great-Aunt, who went to my cousin’s wedding in that pastel track suit with the purse around her neck. This picture was taken right after she was told she could take home the champagne glasses. She fit as many as she could in her hands, but made sure she had room for the leftover champagne.”

(submitted by Jen)

115 Responses to “Party Favors”

1. Bob says:

1 question: Is she Italian? She could be a clone of my Italian grandmother.

2. mc says:

and chances are she will NEVER use the glasses. people like this fascinate me.

3. Jaime says:

This reminds me of my great-grandma. Most of her tableware is stolen from various restaurants she has visited.

• Ceylan says:

OMG,. looooolllloooollloll I had to laugh so much about this comment hahahaha :D

• Holly says:

Me too. I can still see my grandmother wrapping up her “pretty fork” in her cloth dinner napkin at a restaurant and covertly slipping it into the pocket of her housedress! LOL

4. Valerie says:

Hey that was her formal track suit!

5. kathleen says:

Damn. I think your family and mine hang out together.

6. Paula says:

That lady is cool!

7. Allison says:

I have a similar photo, but it’s my step-grandfather, who was put in charge of making sure *all* the champagne flutes were accounted for after a family wedding by my grandmother. :-)

8. Kerry says:

Waste not, want not.

9. Enoch Root says:

…It is STILL a funny picture though.

10. Noel says:

Fran, I’m glad you were able to put a story behind the woman in the photo. So many times people only take things at face value. Thank you! :)

11. Fran says:

Dear all, this is my grandmother. Her name is Ann. She is the sweetest person you would ever want to meet. I’m sure that she took those flutes to give to other family members that couldn’t attend the wedding because she had a kind thoughtful heart. We are from a very impoverished area of Alabama and life has been very hard for her. Her father was a small town pastor, her mother played piano and made hot meals for people that were less fortunate and the greatest heartache of her life is that her younger brother was killed in the Korean War. She was married for 20 years to a man that had muscular dystrophy and cared for him all those years until he passed away. She used to live on a little mini-farm and raised vegetables to eat, chickens for eggs and meat, and goats for milk. She only had one son, my father, who became seriously ill at 25 and has been disabled all these years. When things were at their worst for us, she literally fed us from her freezer and never asked for anything in return. Besides my own mother, she is the hardest working person I’ve ever known. I am certain that had they not told her she could have them, she would have never touched those flutes or the champagne. She is truly the most unassuming person. I am sure that she thought that she was saving them from being trashed. She has never been a taker. She is a rescuer. And I’m very proud that she’s my grandmother. …And as far as her attire- she is on a very fixed income and probably doesn’t own anything nicer.

• Jen says:

Actually this comment is not true and not from the person who posted this pic (me). This is my Great-Aunt, as it says in the behind the awkwardness story. She lives in OH and just likes to dress comfortable. I have many more photos from this wedding if anyone doesn’t trust my sincerity. I think all of your comments are hilarious and actually she is terrified of cats. She is a hoarder and that’s why she took the glasses, to go with her bits of string collection.

• Ireland says:

I KNEW she had to be a collector : )

Man, some people like Fran just have nothing better to do with their lives. 0.0

Thanks, Jen, for having a sense of humor!

• Lisa says:

Fran, you need to get some help. The fact that you would make up that whole story for no apparent reason is disturbing. Take a look at what it means to be a compulsive liar and how you can deal with it.

12. binkymae says:

At least you now have a good gift idea for her – she needs a big purse in the worst way!

13. Chris says:

This is me. I have grabbed a wheel of cheese along with the wine. Forget about the glasses just swig! It so beats the look under the table for a number,then you get the flower arrangement!!!!

14. Melisa says:

Ooooh, Marney’s going to be SO upset over this!!! Those are NOT regulation-sized champagne glasses!

• Judy says:

Marney sure has made an impression! lol I’ve read and reread the Thanksgiving Letter. Tis the season to read it and laugh. Help with the stress.

15. Brant says:

Please tell me this was in Florida…. southwest coast… like, maybe… Sarasota?

16. Sarah says:

Do those glasses have the wedding date on them?! Seriously, what are you going to do with 7 glassse that say “Congradulations Mike and Mindy, 2008!” ?? And do you really need glasses at all? I drink straight from the bottle!

17. Bleah! says:

the track suit / purse around the neck is my mother.

18. karma says:

Shhhh…dont spill the beans! Someone is getting a set of champagne glasses for Christmas.

And I’ll bet you ten bucks she’s wearing slippers.

19. PromisedPlanet says:

Reminds me of the aunt character in “Home For The Holidays.”

20. Lolo says:

Just a footnote…I’m all about the leftover wine!!! :)

21. Lolo says:

This is my sister at weddings. (minus the track suit…she’s very fashionable!!) She just can’t resist the centre-piece!!! She’s even recruited me to help her carry as many as possible!

22. Tom says:

I’m just curious. Is the purse filled with the leftovers that she’s taking home in the re-used Ziploc bags she brought along “just in case there’s too much food for one meal”?

23. K says:

Proof that when you get to a certain age, you can get away with absolutely anything, and people will just smile and let you get on with it.

24. bikermomrt says:

25. LuLu says:

My great grandma used to take all the sugars and jellies at restaurants and was known to also take the salt and pepper shakers and silverware if she really liked them. Ahhhh….family.

26. glasstabletop says:

This is going to be me in about 20 years.

27. tom says:

She may be old, but her night is still VERY young!

28. tom says:

Seven glasses and a bottle of champagne that we CAN see. It makes me wonder if there are a few Trojans in that purse that we can’t! Maybe that is why she has such a *hurried* look?

29. Andrea says:

I wouldn’t have wasted any hand-space for the glasses.