December 8th, 2009

Headfakes - Black And White

This is just what people had to do before the discovery of the “headpile.”

(submitted by Garland)

114 Responses to “Headfakes”

1. Lady Anne says:

As several people have stated, by this time, exposure times were just about as fast as they are today, so holding this pose would not be difficult. By the 1890s, corsets were fairly comfortable – the bra had not been invented, so a girl needed some support. I wear stays when I teach Colonial history, and don’t get nearly as tired after a day on my feet as I do when I’m just schlepping around in modern clothing. It’s a bit like resting against a wall all the time. As far as not smiling goes, it was a rare 40-year old who still had all of his or her own teeth. Dental care was non-existant (tooth brushing did not become common until after WWI) so if you were missing a couple of front teeth, you kept your mouth shut!

Sorrt for the sermon – occupational hazzard for a teacher!

2. Sara says:

This is a really neat photo! I love the older ones, and this is really unusual. Both the photographer and family were ahead of their times… Keep this one in the family photos for future generations..

3. Ragdoll says:

What are the chances this is a memori mortis? Just the ladies heads at odd angles and the mas face is the only thing that shows the slight motion distortion common in pictures of this period. Could be wrong, but that head pose would be hard to hold for long if you were living.

4. Josh says:

Women looked creepy back then. And you know when this picture’s done, this guy’s tying all of them to the railroad tracks.

5. Buzz says:

Those ladys’ hats and frocks are amazing. Even regular people looked chic and sophisticated back then.

6. MKR says:

It looks like it was Dad’s idea :o) !!!

7. I didn’t know they had digital cameras back then! *head tilt*

8. K. B. says:

Next stop, the chiropractor!

9. Sapphire says:

This is an awesome pic. Like someone else said, by 1890, exposure times were not that long so they did not have to hold this pose forever.

I totally love the clothes too!

10. TwiiHard says:

wow, a pic from 1890!

11. old joke says:

“We call ouselves ‘The Aristocrats’!

12. peterson says:

You can sooo tell who’s idea this pose was…

13. Brad says:

I think this one’s kinda cool, actually. In most of the *really* old photos I’ve seen, the people just stand there. In this, they’re actually a little animated.

• Very true. Especially a few years earlier. Photos took, possibly multiple seconds to minutes to make, so they would have to hold still for a while. This is quite an amazing photo for that time period. And think! They daughters could have been so proud knowing this would be in the books for prosperity, 120 years later!

• Soquel says:

I totally agree, and it shows the dad has a sense of humor.. whenever i read about that time preriod or watch movies based in it , you don’t get the idea the fathers were very much involved..

• mary says:

agreed, i’m impressed!

14. malinden says:

actually, i think they could have head-piled if it weren’t for the hats!