Can We Go Now?

December 10th, 2009

You can only eat so much dip.

(submitted by Habiba)

Tags: ,

87 Responses to “Can We Go Now?”

1. Genevieve says:

Wow… she managed to match my facial expression at the end of our friends annual Christmas party.

2. Cindy says:

I think this is one of the funniest pictures on this website! The daughter is so funny!

3. liz says:

When i bought my house it came with everything inside. it came with a couch identical to this one. sofa and love seat its sooo ugly this house looks just like he house i bought too. creepy o_O

4. mary says:

B-b-but…no one’s taking the picture in the mirrror!!

the background and clothes look so familiar, the blur of the photo, i swear it fits in with all our old family photos

5. kathleen says:

A young Amy Winehouse begins to feel disenfranchised with her family and starts down on a road to mayhem in rebellion to these awkward early years.

6. jessica says:

That looks like Lady Gaga before her bleach blonde hair lol

7. Megan says:

Definately Amy Winehouse

8. Leah says:

Wow, I think you stumbled upon some of Amy Winehouse’s old family photos.

9. Ron Wyatt says:

In her teen years, Orphan Annie realized that her long hoped for adoption hadn’t been such a great thing afterall.

10. Kimberly says:

Yes, Sharon had WAY too much Eggnog. Now it was Grandma’s turn.

11. jack says:

Wow, this brings me back to adolescence! This photo would normally depress me, but I realize that I’ve got one thing going for me – my fancy candle: I NEVER BURNED IT!

12. caity says:

oh my god, it’s amy winehouse!

13. Janine says:

Wow…was that Molly Ringwald?

14. StrictTime says:

I think this is my new favorite pic on this site. So money.

15. Kate says:

Hi guys –

Yep, that’s me alright. And you’re absolutely correct:
    1) it was at least 83* in there…and smoky b/c of my chain-smoking relatives.
    2) I hated my life
    3) that was soup packet onion dip
    4) my grandmother freaked out when we lit the fancy candle

I also have some updates:
    1) the guy on the left is my brother-in-law, not grandpa. we had a progressive family.
    2) I am not Amy Winehouse, but…um…thanks?

Thanks for laughing at and with me – It is by far my most favorite family pic and really shows me for the delicate flower I was.

YAY photo fail!

16. Melba says:

Awesome. What more can I say?

17. Ruth says:

Grandma’s house smells like moth balls and disappointment

18. Lucy says:

I’ve looked and looked, now I give up – where is the Virgin Mary everyone’s talking about?

19. Kathie says:

My roommate had a couch exactly like that in the ’80′s!

20. Kirsten Heitz says:

Omigawd! Amy Winehouse! EATING!!

21. hayley says:

am i the only one who thinks that girl in the middle looks a hell of lot like a cleaner Amy Winehouse???

22. Jessica says:

I swear that looks like a young Amy Winehouse!!!

23. marlene says:

It’s sad when even the grandparents look bored!!! lol…

this made me day

24. tracy says:

is the dad wearing some sort of political button? it would be interesting to know when this was – and i dunno, but he looks pretty right wing to me with that virgin mary in the ‘company room.’

can anyone see what it is?

• Anne says:

The numbers on the photo (89 12) are probably December 1989. Looks like a Christmas button, probably one that the relative hosting the “party” gave to him last year.

• Spritely says:

Ferraro was Catholic–maybe Dukakis, too. There is (or was) a great tradition of liberal Catholics, like the Kennedys, Tip O’Neill, etc.

25. Rowena says:

That Virgin Mary you speak about could also be the parting between 2 curtains. There’s a Father Christmas figurine on the table, near grandma’s fries/nachos/crisps! And what’s the girls doing with her right hand? Slashing her wrist with a crisp, out of desperate boredom?!!

26. nite owl says:

To me, this is the TRUE MEANING of Christmas!

27. Lucy says:

My mother would have heart palpatations that they’re BURNING the fancy candle.

I feel that poor girl’s pain. All that suffering for crocheted slippers and a dime store fruitcake. Thanks Grandma.

28. Marsha says:

Nothing says the 80′s like mirrored walls.

29. Tim S says:

I think Grandpa is wearing his Mondale/Ferraro button.

30. powermuffin says:

Nice placement on the fancy candle.

About this time last year, I burned a candle that I had gotten back in about 1980. My mother, who moved several times after I turned 18 and moved out, got rid of many things that I would have liked to still have but carted this candle around from place to place.

Granted, it was a neat candle. It looked like an orange and was pretty realistic. I decided the time was right to release the vintage wax into my home air and remember my collection of novelty shaped soap (including some shaped like giant lifesavers) that were never used and lost to who knows where.

• Becky says:

My mother in law had some novelty soap in the shape of snowmen last Christmas. She was out of soap (in her bathroom) and my 4 year old daughter used one of her snowmen…she was really unhappy. I don’t get it. It’s soap. Why do people buy soap and just look at it?

31. Justin says:

Put her in some jeans and a cut-off tshirt and she could be in Twisted Sister.

32. L says:

is it just me or does the girl in the middle kind of look like lady gaga?

33. CincyCandy says:

Oh yes, the fancy candle. My mom always bought one when we went on vacation to Florida every year. Sometimes the candle even had SAND in the design. And no, we never burned ours either. That would have been a WASTE.

I think I owned the dress on the poor unfortunate creature in the middle. Might have been from the Gunne Sax “holiday” line.

• hcw80 says:

OMG…Gunne Sax and the fancy mall candles they would make right in front of you. Two things I thought would be timeless in my teen years, but things I hadn’t thought about in years.

No doubt, that is the onion soup mix and sour cream homemade dip. Virgin Mary is indeed hovering over Grandma sitting on the texture couch.

This is a classic.

34. AllAboutDave says:

She’s begging *BEGGING* for the photographer to please hand her the rest of her Alabama Slamma on the other side of the fancy candle so she can just get through another story about Uncle Earl’s colonoscopy. Aunt Edith is playing her invisible tiny violin in response.

35. Richard Anderson says:

Love the hair.

36. Libby says:

HAHAHA!!! Looks like Phil from ‘Wayne’s World’!! All partied out! “If you’re gonna spew, spew into this!”

37. Chuck Martel says:

Emo for the late eighties.

38. Snowrider says:

Wait! Is that the Virgin Mary on Grandma’s head in the reflection?

39. matissmo says:

you can choose your friends, but you’re stuck with family…until the age of emancipation, i guess.

• Poindexter says:

Indeed, the two chill geezes on the left and right will be none-too glad when little Frowny McBadperm heads off to State!

40. Matt K says:

Is that an entire hamburger on the right on the serving tray?

41. Anon says:

You can even tell how special of an occasion this was, because the “fancy” candle was being burned!!

• Ashley says:

I totally remember those fancy candles! I got one for my mom when I was 7 because I thought they were so elegant. (We never burned ours, though, it just got all dusty and eventually thrown away.)

• Diana says:

Our special candle went into a box in the attic – only to be brought down years later melted into a totally different format. We had 5 or 6 of those ‘special’ candles. AARRGGHH

• Spritely says:

We made the mistake of putting our prize Halloween candle collection in the south facing window of our house when we first moved to Arizona. Oh, the horror!

42. Shonda says:

I think my mom had a dress like that and I don’t remember her looking to happy in it either.

43. Liz says:

Wow, I totally thought this was my sister-in-law at first. That’s her normal expression.

44. PromisedPlanet says:

Every element of an awkward, uncomfortable holiday party is represented here.

I bet the temperature in that room is over 75 degrees.

45. Kurtacus says:

“She keeps doing that thing with her hand to me, Mom…make her stop doing that thing with her hand to me.”

46. a.chick says:

Now, how is this awkward? It looks like a gal having a good time with her grandfolks.