Bedtime Stories

January 12th, 2010

Bedtime Stories - Kids

Sleep tight.

(submitted by Heather)

299 Responses to “Bedtime Stories”

1. mark says:

This picture was obviously taken with no intentions of being disrespectful. If your that easily offended, close your browser and go watch Hannah Montana.

2. Lynn says:

Backstory!!!!!

3. Anonymous says:

Meh… seems like as good a book as any. Besides, the kid is barely old enough to read and likely not old enough to understand what she can read. I have a copy of this book too… there should be no book in existence that you’re afraid to read. If there is, you’re a sheep being led to slaughter.

4. steve says:

i have a feeling that whoever took this pic had some insane/ironic humor in mind. so absurd it made me laugh. the cutest nazi ever

5. Susanna says:

good grief….if you censor everything how do our children learn about it? They have to learn the horrors of everything to not repeat it or allow it to be repeated. NOT OFFENDING…goodness..! We have dumbed down the education in this country enough…do not allow our children to grow up so ignorant and so uninformed, misinformed and so blind as they do not KNOW about this.

Those that ignore history are doomed to repeat it….right?

6. Eric says:

Now, if they had a set of Klaus Barbie dolls to play with, then I’d be worried.

7. chris says:

this is a fantastic shot! very very creepy but cool none the less

8. Renee says:

This is THE best picture.

9. Karina says:

This made me laugh, just like the little girl. Have an old issue of the same book for historical value. No need to be offended by history, learn from it and live Your life to the fullest.

10. Ted says:

Not sure why this is funny. And I don’t understand why people who either find it offensive or not funny are being characterized as censors. It is not censorship to say you find something offensive, or to criticize it. Some folks need to go back to 8th grade civics class. And for those who don’t believe that there are neo-Nazis in this country who are raising their kids to hate others, I just have to say you are living in Wonderland. It could be a bad (imo, not really funny) joke. Or it could be a real family photo.

11. canne says:

I’m still laughing out loud. Hilarious! Let’s face it, this wouldn’t be awkward if she were holding Alice In Wonderland…

12. Canary says:

I am a grandchild of a “survivor” and I think this is funny as all heck. The kid looks so happy, and it’s such a terrible book, which, I think, is the point. Goodness gracious people.

13. SidxDeadGod says:

It’s so nice to see a child holding a book for once instead of an ipod or something.
    Too bad it’s a s****y book.

14. Brittanie says:

Omg..so the little girl on the right, holding the baby doll and stuff, looks exactly like me! If you put a pic of me (when i was little) and that lil girl next to each other, we would look like twins, No Joke.
    Pretty sweet. :)

15. Lucy J says:

“Before the Tats: The unofficial biography of the girl who became Jesse James’ mistress”

16. nidira says:

OH MY GOD!!!!

<D

i died and i just got my wisdom teeth out, so i couldn't laugh– my mouth started hurting!

oh, that's hilarious.
    horrible,
    but hilarious.

17. Michelle says:

ROFL! These two girls are too cute first of all. You can tell this is a joke. They are giggling like there is no tomorrow. I am certain no one would actually read any Adolf Hitler stories to their children. Give me a break. LOL.

18. PKane says:

First, this picture is hilarious (if anyone needs to check my ethnic papers to affirm my right to laugh, I happen to be a Jew).

“If an awkward family was standing next to the gate of Auschwitz giving thumbs up, THAT would offend me.”

About 10 years ago I visited the Dachau concentration camp and was horrified to witnessed an, um, awkward family of fellow Americans posing – mom and the kids – for a routine tourist photo in front of an oven. I wonder when this gem finds its way to AFP.

The sad part is that these people didn’t appear to neo-nazis or anything, rather, my sense was that they were just frighteningly stupid – certainly too dim to comprehend even the most simplistic of ideologies. Actually, it may have been slightly more comforting had they posed in white sheets.

To quote a great American hero: “say what you will about the tenants of National Socialism, at least its an ethos.”

19. Heather says:

LOL…OMG. Sooooo many assumptions and speculation! Wow! Wild imaginations, even! This picture is of my sister and I, and there is a simple explanation behind it.

My father took a course in college called Demonology that required him to read several books, including Mein Kampf. He studied this book from the perspective of Hitler being analagous to a demon, and raised us (like most parents do) with the belief that Hitler was a person who committed horrible, heinous acts against humanity. He kept a lot of his books; we had a lot of bookshelves stuffed with books.

Who knows why my sister grabbed the book? Who knows why kids do half the things they do? She obviously couldn’t read yet…maybe 2 years old…and probably grabbed it to use to pretend to read a story to one of her dolls as she played “house,” or something like that. My dad had a sense of humor (especially if it involved making fun of us) so he probably thought it was funny she grabbed the book, laughed and took the picture… haha.

What’s so funny is that the little girl in this picture (my sister!) who is holding the Mein Kampf book now has 2 children who are mixed race…and I myself am engaged to be married to a man of African-American descent. So yeah, no racism there at all. Sorry to disappoint anyone…

• Michelle says:

Heather, often too many people believe themselves to be psychologist on the internet. I found it hilarious. I think people have too much time on their hands to invent and even imagine the worst case scenarios. I think it is hilarious. And funny and awkward. You don’t have to defend yourself to a bunch of butt clowns. Just laugh at them and move on. It is funny. :)

• Efraim says:

Thanks for the story…i think it is a brilliant picture, thanks for posting.

• Drew says:

Heather:
        This is probably one of the funniest pics on here. Sweet little girl, evil murderous dictator…priceless. Your dad has a great sense of humor. Thank you for sharing it with the world. lol and 2 thumbs up.

20. T says:

I don’t know what’s funnier; the people who are offended by this or the people who think it’s “obviously photoshopped”. What you’re looking at is a picture of my fiancee` and her younger sister. It ain’t Wasilla, it’s a suburb of Louisiana. My fiancee’s dad took a philosophy course in college, and that’s where he got the book from. Btw, I’m black, and Mein-Kampf-Girl’s son and daughter are half black.

Good News Everyone! No one in this photo ended up being a racist or a Socialist.

21. ellenofthenorth says:

It’s a joke, folks, and a good one at that.

22. Middy says:

I couldn’t stop laughing when i saw this one.

and I wonder what daddy does on weekends?

I’m picturing a white pointy hat and a burning cross.

23. Sarah says:

I seriously doubt that this girl was raised in a white supremacist family. I have read this book before, and not because I’m a racist or a Nazi, but because I was a European history major in college. It is pretty much required reading if you have ever studied fascism, Nazism, or WWII in depth.

24. brian says:

bedtime stories are always fun to share!

25. Krom D says:

Ah… daily life in wasilla.

26. Bucksnut says:

I was shocked at first but don’t think it needs to be taken down. I don’t think a parent who is not racist would see this as a cute and funny photo op though. What I find even more shocking is the people are commenting that she had no idea who Hitler is or what the book is about. These nutjob racists teach that crap from birth and this book is a staple. If her parents are radical racists, you can bet she knows exactly who Hitler is.

27. wilber says:

doesn’t anyone get that this has been photoshopped?

28. ckirk says:

I hate what Hitler did just as much as the next guy. I have friends whose families suffered because of him. It’s absolutely terrible what happened. BUT… I am not offended by this picture in the least bit! It’s a picture! No one knows the story behind it. Who knows, maybe one of the parents is a history professor, had copy, and then one day their daughter finds it and is just innocently carrying it around. So then the parent could have thought it was funny and took a picture. It could be a lot of different things! To get so offended by something you don’t know the story behind makes you sound so ignorant. Don’t be so quick to think the worst of people!

29. Jaz says:

This picture is hilarious, especially cuz the kid doesnt know what she is holding in her hands… by the way – if you ever read that book doesnt make you a racist… it rather makes you well educated… cuz you’ll know Hitler’s world view and can tell your kids about that world view and how wrong it was from your standpoint… theres a difference between reading this and supporting it or advocating that world view… – no need to be offended, I got a great laugh out of this and laughter makes the world a better place, so there.

30. stagolee says:

Is this Prussian Blue as young ones?

31. BSE says:

Her older sister, Greta, may have been the first in her family to graduate from college, but Irmgard was the first in her family to be put on the FBI watch list.

And agreed with many comments before…I’m Jewish, so I thought maybe it might behoove me to read that book, you know, just out of curiosity. I didn’t make it past page 3 because I fell asleep. Bo-ring.

• Soquel says:

I agree, I got it for christmas one year.. ( my mom actaually got worried replys from my family when she sent out the email with my christmas list and this book was on it.. )
      I tried to read it several times and I just could never get into it.. ( I thought I was just stupid) And now it is in my bookshelf.. And *gasp* I have a 3 year old!
      It’s actually next to 2 childrens books..lol
      And no Im not a rascist in the least.. oh and neither is my 3 yr old..

32. Louis says:

People, this photo is obviously PhotoShopped. The actual book is much thicker than the one in the picture.

33. Ines says:

LOL if only she knew………

34. Jamie says:

Can’t we all just get along? And laugh in unison at the hilarious-ness of her adorably clueless face?

35. Chris says:

Oh the struggles we face in life!

36. hahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahah !!!!!!!!!!!!! #1 all time !!!!!!!!!!!!

37. alaan weller says:

ok….it is definitely ridiculous how offended/heated some peopleare getting over this. when i was a young girl my mom bought me dave pelzers a child called it series which is about the tragic struggle of his child hood and the specific tortures in graphic detail that his mom put him through. a complete 100% truth story of his life.

this book series was not for the weak, and was an extremely emotional read but i was one of the best series i have ever read.

there are alot of horrible things that have happened in this world. nothing we can do is going to change the fact that its a part of world history and why we take racism so seriously today.

get you panties out of a bunch people. they are not letting their daughter read hitlers book at her age. will she read it some day? possibly but that her choice if she does. that doesnt make her or her parents a racist.

its just a freaking picture!

38. DC says:

Hate to be the “it’s a moot point” person, but am I the only one who thinks the book cover is some pretty bad Photoshopping? Just sayin’…

• AwkWord says:

I agree with you…to be technical with this picture…the photo editing is lacking a little bit. But, it could also be intentional to bring in the irony and to stir up the controversies/discussions with regards to the topic.

Let’s say it were true; that it wasn’t digitally edited. It may bring about more controversies. But because the editing is obvious, we can take it on a more light-hearted manner. Depends on the artist!!!

39. AwkWerrrd says:

“……My sis is SO silly!”

40. Erika says:

I am thoroughly creeped out by this picture, primarily because my sister and I could be the twins of whoever this really is. I showed my mom and she couldnt even respond because of how shocked she was because of the similarities. If the person in the picture is the one who posted it, I’d really like to know what you look like now…I’m 22 and the one on the right looks just like i did…

41. eeyore19 says:

Just because someone owns a copy of “Mein Kampf” doesn’t make them racists, Nazis, or even people who agree with Hitler. I own a copy of the movie “Triumph of the Will” and I am none of those things, either. I think the movie clearly shows how Hitler made Germany view him as a wonderful man (even though there’s no argument that he was a sick, twisted, evil person). Visuals from this film have been used in many other movies over the years (like “Star Wars” or Disney’s “The Lion King”). Owning books or movies about Hitler does not mean that the owner supports Hitler or shares his demented ideology, and it certainly doesn’t mean that they’re teaching their children to hate.

42. Lisa says:

Y’know, I’m always amazed at the people who get most offended. Some may be justified, but the most vehement opposers of racism as it applies to black Americans (I was born in Ohio, not Africa) seem to have not even seen anyone different from themselves until college.

It’s a book. It’s a child holding a book. It’s not a child holding a book and posing next to a concentration camp, with a leash leading to a starved prisoner. It’s a child holding a book.

Y’know, Huckleberry Finn was banned for being offensive; to people like me. It’s a good book, worth a read.

43. Arieve says:

A book is a book is a book is a book.
    Plenty of books are offensive, plenty of them have content unsuitable for public display, but they are still sold and published. No big deal.
    Be as ignorant as you want to be, no one said you have to read it. Going along with the mob mentality of it being bad because everyone says it is about it doesn’t mean it’s true.
    What Tracy said is true, “get a clue”.

• Missy says:

Right – how many people saw the movie “Saw” – without making them demented? This whole debate is stupid. The little girl holding the book is absolutely adorable. If people want to analyze something into something so horrid, then I think that speaks fairly loudly about some of their own issues.

As one of my childhood friends used to joke…

“The one who smelt it, dealt it.”

Typically people who get outlandishly loud on a topic is a topic they have issues with – themselves.

44. Hexipooh says:

I literally laughed out loud when I first saw this picture. So loud in fact, that my co-workers came running to look and LOL’d too. We 3 loved it, not offended. Please do not take it down. :)

45. Foxinabox says:

Can’t believe people are offended by this. A lot of people collect memorabilia from the Nazi era, and they aren’t racists. It’s called an interest in history.
    If you ask me, people offended by this are the racists ones. Just because the kid is white, immediately the family is labeled WHITE SUPREMACIST. If it were a black child, this would just be innocent LOLWTF. Get over it, please. None of us were there, none of us did those things, and it’s better for us to study it so it doesn’t happen again. (Banning books is one of the stupidest actions people take IMO)

I found the picture pretty funny, because hey, it’s what kids DO. They do silly stuff like dig through Daddy’s bookshelf and drag out his boring history books with colors they like and in this case I’m sure the funny photo opportunity was too good for the parents to pass up!

46. Lola says:

I agree that everybody (even kids) should know about Hitler and what he did so that history will never repeat itself, and that there are lots of reasons that a family would have a copy of this book. But this isn’t a picture of a family explaining to their kids why Hitler was bad. This is a picture of a girl holding a book about Hitler, acting like it’s her new favorite book. Maybe she didn’t know what she was doing, but still, it’s not something people should joke about. It’s definitely awkward, but not in a funny way.

• ReginaPhalange says:

Isn’t it possible that after the picture was taken a lesson on history followed?

Maybe it would be funnier if she’d been holding the Kama Sutra (another booooooring book, btw). Not racist by any means, but then that would mean her parents were sex maniacs or something, right?

• Missy says:

No one is laughing about Hitler. They are laughing at a child holding a BOOK about Hitler. Let’s let some realism come into play here over fantasy shall we?

47. Manja says:

I AM german and I am not offended by this, I think it’s funny :D (And both of my grandparents almost ended up in a concentration camp by then…so I am by no means right-winged in the german sense of the word)
    If an awkward family was standing next to the gate of Auschwitz giving thumbs up, THAT would offend me. My country has a horrible and sad history. As many have already mentioned, this does not mean that the parents are racists. I am very interested in history and if I could, I would own the book but it is banned in germany and only certain people e.g. history teachers are allowed to have it in their homes. Anyway, no one back then actually read the book…it is the most boring thing you have ever laid hands on, I am not kidding. It is SO hard to read because it is written in such a dry manner and Hitler was probably the most untalented author – ever. My history teacher took it to class one day and everyone was allowed to read in it for a while. By the way, the only reason it was so ‘popular’ in germany back then was because every newlywed couple got a copy from the state – because no one bought it. Whoops.

• Julia K says:

Well, honey, what do you want to do tonight? Mein Kampf or sweaty snuggles? Good point, it is rather cold in the apartment.

Hitler was a genius… he wanted to guarantee fertile honeymoons… and leaving the book on the nightstand was a great way to ensure the couple continued … umm… making Germans.

and as a bonus, it was a sleep aid for the older Germans.

• Missy says:

Wow. Someone HATES Germans. Talk about stereotype. I am German. Irish. Native American. So try and think of something that you can stereotype about that, will ya? ;) No. I am not a Nazi, so you will have to come up with another stereotype! OH! I also do not drink. Try again. Native American? Nope. No Casinos. So see what you can come up with now. ;) Good luck. I’ll check back later.

• Cernunnos says:

Um, Missy dear? HATES Germans? Stereotypes? It’s called sarcasm. Perhaps you should look it up; it’s quite commonly used these days.

(No stereotypes in this comment either, just in case you were wondering.)

• Bono says:

Just because you have German ancestry doesn’t make you German, silly American.

• Spiro Agnew says:

I GOT IT! You’re the stereotypical person who thinks that being 1/8th or 1/4th a nationality makes you that nationality. You probably come from somewhere like America, where people cant be “American”, but rather English, German, Irish, Japanese, Italian, you name it. I myself am half greek and half american, my greek side dating back past the 11th c. and my American side past the 17th c., yet I call myself a redblooded American b/c when it comes down to culture and religion and stereotypes, I’m not greek at all. I’m guessing the same can be said for you, unless you actually grew up in Little Cheroke Dublin in Berlin.

• sillygal says:

I once owned that same paperback version of Mein Kampf well over 20 years ago. And I agree wholeheartedly with Manja; “it is the most boring thing you have ever laid hands on, I am not kidding. It is SO hard to read because it is written in such a dry manner and Hitler was probably the most untalented author – ever” And I had quite a struggle (har-har!) reading it, but I did. As many others, I’m not a racist. I had a thirst for learning history and how such events came to be. That and it freaked out my parents and authority figures. . .something most teenagers enjoy to this day!
      This photo made me LOL!!

• Dtheman says:

Along those same lines, I once saw some American tourists taking smiling photos of their families outside the Dachau concentration camp and it really ticked me off. I believe my exact words were, “This isn’t f-ing Disneyland!”

I think this photo has drawn such attention because everyone is wondering what the hell the back-story could be. I’m not sure it’s “funny” as much as it is intriguing.

48. Jorie says:

Cyberg00se, others,

You are being completely ridiculous! Is AFP being racist? No. Are they saying anything harmful or racist? No. They are simply showing an ironic, funny photo. Have you ever noticed that they have a reminder not to leave an type of offensive comment? There is nothing wrong with the website, and for you to say that they should take the picture down is just plain ridiculous. Perhaps you should take your overeactive comments and post them somewhere were people will care, because all your getting here is what you deserve; Disagreement and hate.

49. ... says:

I am seriously laughing my a** off at all the people overreacting to this photo. It seems people who did not have family who were victims of the holocaust are WAY more offended than those who did. Knee-jerk reaction much? I am Jewish and was not offended by this. Grow a pair, people. Censorship is not the answer.

• @sebahabu says:

afaik this book is allowed and even used in u.s. german or history lessons.
      in germany is it even forbidden to own it, AFAIK.

its not offending me … its kind of scary…

50. mohahaha! Wonder how the parents look like…