The Final Frontier

January 20th, 2010

The Final Frontier - *AFP Hall Of Fame*

This family boldly goes where no other family has gone before.

(submitted by Robert)

454 Responses to “The Final Frontier”

1. MarleyBojangles says:

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this picture…

2. Bed Man OK says:

Nerds! Nerds Nerds Nerds Nerds Nerds!

3. oscarella says:

Tearing the fabric of space, time and taste…

4. Siler says:

I notice they are fans of the Next Generation.

5. Laura says:

Obviously the one in red is not the favorite. You don’t wear red in Star Trek unless you want to die.

6. Justme says:

When I spotted the girl in the blue tight suit I had to laugh out loud.
    Anyway this family’s children are all stunningly beautiful.

7. K says:

I KNEW IT! I was adopted out of this family and it’s where I belong!

8. Ida_Slaptem says:

Mom has a kind of dazed look on her face. I think she gets beamed up about 9:00 every morning. Jim Beamed!

9. El Kev says:

It’s the long lost theme episode of “Jersey Shore.”

10. Ryan says:

OMG…that’s amazing!!!

11. Aaron says:

What’s funny to me is that the parents had that good looking of a brood.

12. martin says:

Did anyone explain about the red shirt yet?

13. Lindsay says:

Spock would NOT be proud.

14. Evilpixie17 says:

Live long and prosper!

15. Carol says:

Ahh…so that’s what happened to Kerri Green (lovely young lady in blue suit).

16. imma_nurse says:

This is so cool!
    I love ST.

17. Turtleisland says:

Mom’s “Little Starship on the Prairie”

18. PissedChef says:

That seems like a lot of spandex…

19. Sharon says:

This picture defines awesomeness. I want them to adopt me. Loving this picture.

20. Sara says:

having gotten married on the bridge of the Enterprise D in Vegas, I see nothing awkward about this family photo.

21. WannaBe says:

Poor kid on the right (in red). He has to die. All the red shirts end up that way.

22. WannaBe says:

Many are the times I have wished for a Star Trek shirt. I never did buy one, and I have NEVER appeared in a formal photograph wearing one.

23. Dime666 says:

This family has gone where no family ever wants to go. Creepy.

24. Whoa says:

Dammit, Jim, I’m a doctor, not an awkward pose photographer!

25. jannet says:

you will never believe this … i KNOW the guy in the lower left hand side. the guy in the front in the gold uniform. i REMEMBER him getting this family photo taken. bwaaahaaahaaa!!

26. susan says:

I think it’s adorable! I love this picture!

27. Robert says:

This is my family!!!! I’m the doomed red shirt ensign. And it’s true, my Mother made these costumes from scratch. We were so proud to take this picture. There was no embarrassment whatsoever. Honestly. We used to watch TNG as a family and we unashamedly hung this picture on our wall above our television for the world to see. My Father always claimed we were “Trekkers” and not “Trekkies.” The reason you only see 2 Starfleet badges is because they were incredibly hard to come by in the early 90’s. My brother and I bought badges and pips at a convention. What glorious nerds we were! And it was hard to find any others when we decided to take the picture. There was no ebay or internet shopping back then. So my brother and I wore the only badges, and he wore all the pips because I lost a bet to him. We were the officers, my Sister and Mother were Troi-type counselors, my Dad was medical, and my little brother was security. I’ve always wanted to use photoshop to add badges and pips to the rest of us. Perhaps one day. But thanks for all the comments!!! It’s nice to know how many Trekkers there really are out there. I’m trying to talk my Mother into making a new round of uniforms for all of us in the picture, and all the subsequent grandchildren. Keep an eye on the website, you might see the Next Next Generation photo. Actually, unfortunately, the years have not been kind to us, and neither would a Star Trek Uniform at this point. Uhg!

• Tim says:

Robert –

Thanks for the history on that! If your Mom does come through with the costumes for the grandbabies, be sure to get a portrait and post it. Talk about The Next Generation!

And don’t be so hard on yourself and the passage of time. Remember: Old Trekkers never die…they just get transported to Galdrak 7.

• EdieKay says:

Robert -

Thank you SO much for the background history! Your family sounds very sweet. More power to all of you!!!

Please do post one with all of you and the grandkids. That would be awesome!

And I agree with what Tim says!

• Joos says:

You guys ROCK for doing this. And your MOM is obviously very talented. You all look great. And yes, those badges were hard to come by! I had one that actually beeped when you touched it! My whole family have been ‘trekkies’ (yes, proud to say it) since ST:TOS in the ’60s – I was a kid then. Loved all of them. This is great. So much better than the HOCKEY MOM photo! :)

• Alicia says:

My dear cousin, if we really do another picture of this, I want in. Also, did you see Christy’s comment’s too? We’ve both posted the link on our facebook pages. We have an awesome family, don’t we?

• TattingChic says:

That is really sweet that your family had so much fun doing this and enjoyed this together! I am also glad that it’s not getting ripped to shreds by the commenters, LOL! What a fun family! Thanks for sharing that took some courage because you never know what you’re going to get with the comments here, LOL!

28. Randy says:

this is actually not that awkward. it’s pretty awesome. in a geeky way.

29. Okay, I have to say that this one is my favourite one EVER. Long live geekery!

30. MissouriMom says:

speechless

31. Patricia says:

That’s not awkwardness, that’s commitment!

32. Jason says:

Fun family. Whats odd is how the Father figure isn’t the highest rank. In fact, the only person with any rank is is oldest son on the bottom left, who is a Commander. The rest don’t even have ranks. The mom and daughter are wearing “unofficial” Starfleet uniforms like Troi used to wear, which are halfway between uniforms and civilian clothes.

33. joci says:

this picture and the caption just made my day!!!! heartfelt thank yous!!!

34. b says:

the look on mom’s face , in one word:

apologetic

35. plasma says:

Red uniforms are command, yellow are operations, which is mostly tactical or engineering, and blue are the sciences.

• Drake says:

Don’t forget yellow is security and that little boy looks like he is ready to put down anyone that starts to get uppity.

36. Desdes says:

I love that the mom made a star trek dress. Were there dresses?

• Tim S says:

Didn’t Troi wear a brown dress?

• Tim S says:

Uhura looked VERY hot in her miniskirt!

• Anna says:

Troi wore many colors of dresses, blue, purple, usually lighter colors.

• April says:

Troi usually wore one-pieces with pants. The only dress she wore regularly was Turquoise with an asymmetrical neck. If you can stand the geek, read on for a list of her costumes:

Traditional mini-skirt uniform with boots, only briefly in season one
          Black one-piece with pants
          Red one-pice with pants and black border on neckline
          Gray one-piece with pants and lavender border on neckline
          afformentioned Turquoise dress
          Standard blue Starfleet uniform

Of course she had civilian clothes as well, but she did not wear those on duty.

• Uly says:

She’s dressed like Troi’s mother.

37. Xavier_Rose says:

Firstly: Love this family.
    Secondly: I do feel the need to point out that the red shirt kid is probably safe since by the time TNG rolled around the red shirt rule no longer really held, and they’re wearing TNG-era uniforms.

38. bmj2k says:

Some of them are NOT wearing their communicator badges! Report them to Captain Picard!

39. Erin says:

My goodness, the boy in the bottom left went all out. He has the com-badge and pips.

40. Nan says:

OK, our whole family dressed in Star Trek costumes for Halloween. And I’ve never even watched the show. I think this is cute and fun.

41. Lycaenidae says:

This is the most awesome family ever! I don’t know who’s geekier, though, them or all of us who immediately thought of Red Shirt comments…

42. susan says:

At least everyone looks happy.

43. volkschick says:

The funniest thing about this pic is the love it’s getting! Normally any family dressed in costume gets ripped to shreds in the comments. I guess now we now know AFP’s target demographic, eh?

44. Amy says:

Man, what did the boy on the right do? Maybe he’s the oldest so he’ll be the first to “go”. haha

45. mboyce says:

I think that this is a great picture. It may be awkward for some, or for the kids to look at now, but it is great that this family has a common interest that they seem happy with.

46. Teetsee says:

I love it!

47. Ally says:

Aww, I feel bad for the kid who had to be the “red shirt”. But overall…totally awesome.

• eggsngrits says:

Yes! Expendability, thy name is red uniform!

• dennylou says:

Yeah, that says a lot about his position in the family….

• CrisA says:

Those are Next Generation uniforms, which actually means he’s the captain or in the command structure.

• Monique says:

OK, I’m 26 and no one I know has ever watched this show. I never got the admiration for this or Star Wars. I guess SciFi has always been very lame to me and my fam (no offense to those that love it, honestly).

Anywho, clue me in on the “red shirt” references.

• Anna says:

In the original Star Trek, when the crew went on an away mission, the person wearing the red shirt did not make it back to the ship.

• Monique says:

Thanks for clearing this up guys. Although we’ve never watched the show, my husband and I did love the movie.

After seeing how this entire comment section is filled with people totally geeked (see what I did there?) about this picture, I may have to check it out. I was totally against Harry Potter too until I accidentally got caught up in it while babysitting.

• Carmen says:

Ok, so in the original Star Trek series from the 1960′s, if you saw the captain, another main character, and then like, a secondary character down on a planet or someplace else, and with them, weas some guy who is wearing a red uniform who has had like either one line or less the entire episode… it’s almost GUARANTEED that the officer in the Red Uniform is going to be killed. That’s where the joke comes from!

Lol… and I ADORE this picture! It would have been so rad to have a portrait like this as a kid because I was soooo in to Star Trek: TNG in the 80′s and 90′s!!!

• TattingChic says:

OMGosh! I remember watching all those old reruns from the original series when I was growing up in the 70′s, LOL! I never noticed that I will pay attention to that in the future! That is sadly hilarious!

• Chris says:

Monique — In the original series, the crewmen who wore the red shirts always got killed. “Ensign Doomed, go check out that glowing orb!” “Yessir!!! AAAAAAIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!”

• Fanboy Wife says:

Usually, away-teams on early Star Trek consisted of regular characters, plus a new guy in a red shirt. Guess who was killed as soon as they landed? (I hate myself for knowing that.)

• Such a nerd says:

In the original series (1966-1969), command wore yellow, science and medical wore blue, and security and engineering wore red. Kirk (Captain), Spock (First/Science Officer), and McCoy (Doctor) always beamed down to the planet of the week along with one security guy (a “Redshirt”). The fourth guy never gets a name and always died within a few minutes.

• Carol says:

In the original series, the people wearing the red shirts were not officers and were not played by the same people. If someone wearing a red shirt were to transport down to a planet with the rest of the regularly known crew, the guy in the red shirt was most likely going to be killed during the trip.

• michelle says:

in the original Star Trek series (not next generation like the style these peeps are wearing) whenever a group of people from the ship would find a new planet they’d go with a few main characters and one or two no-name people, more often than not, these no-names would be wearing a red shirt. and since they have no character, the writers are free to have them killed or seriously injured. so, if you ever find yourself on a starship and are going on a mission to a new planet with a few high ranking officers and BFFs of the captain, and you are wearing a red shirt, beware and go ahead and set your phaser to kill.

• Robin says:

In the original Star Trek series, the extras were always wearing red shirts. Whenever they went into a dangerous situation, you knew that’s who was going to bite the dust. The main characters always went on the “away missions” too, but it was the red-shirts who died.

• allison says:

I’d chime in on the red shirt thing but, plenty of other people have already explained it to you. I’m 30, so not much older than you, and I have to say that your age is no excuse for not seeing this. Also – my sister is 26 and has seen the show. Don’t blame your age for your lack of pop culture knowledge.

• Monique says:

Wow. I didn’t blame my age. I think I said pretty clearly why I did not watch that show. As a 30yr old, you should be more mature than leaving a snotty comment when everyone else is just enjoying this fun-filled site.

I think you should go prop up your legs and have a latte for lunch–it’s almost Friday. You can do it.

• Kelly says:

Okay obviously the AFP Police approved all these posts at once so I’m not going to chime in with an answer for the Red Shirt guy. :D

But I do have a comment about my whole stupidity regarding the Red Shirt reference. I am a geek-by-association, meaning my brother is a full-on geek. We are 41 (him) and almost 40 (me) and growing up we had one tv. I was forced to watch every single Star Trek (original series) that was in syndication. I’ve seen them all at least 2 times. And I sorta fell in love with the series but never admitted it, so throughout the 80′s when various Star Trek movies came out starring the original cast I got my geek on and saw them – even cried when Spock died.

My brother has continued with his geek status and I believe has seen everything Star Trek that exists. He tried dragging me into the Next Generation and about all I remember from that is the dude with the banana clip for eye glasses and “make it so, number 1″.

So all this being said, I did NOT realize that the red shirted non-regular guy was always offed in the show. But I bet my brother did! Cool trivia! :)

48. armchairhero says:

I love this family! This has got to be the most awesome family picture ever. The family that gets their geek on together, stays together, I always say.

49. Perelandra says:

I want to join this family.

50. Rooster says:

The girl in blue is a hottie, I love the skin tight suit. She has a perfect body for it!

• Polophile police says:

I question the age of that girl. She seems to be the youngest in the family, which makes the Rooster kinda creapy

• AJ says:

Creepers Rooster!

• Ken says:

Yeah, real creepy there “Rooster”. Like Edward says above, back the truck up before you comment on an 11 year old girl. We can fit you for a “RED SUIT” beam you down to a hostile planet and see what happens. And from everyone’s comments below it can’t be good.

• Chaplain ET says:

Rooster is the same as me; there is nothing to indicate WHAT age the young lady is! She does look cute, though.

• oscarella says:

Maybe Rooster should change his moniker to “Chicken Hawk” – creepy, dude (unless you’re 12 yourself)

• SheRa says:

Wow, Christine, who cares how old she is now? He’s not commenting on what she looks like now, he’s commenting on her pre-pubescent body. Yes, she’s cute, got a nice combo of mom & dad’s genes. And as a side note, the boy in the middle looks younger. But regardless who cares if she’s 11 or 14, she’s young. Clearly wearing a training bra still, and probably would be a very gorgeous adult, but a grown man commenting on how hot she is and her body… that’s creepy… very pedo… and yeah, deserves a nice solid rebuking.

• Terry C - NJ says:

She’s a kid, you creep!

• Snobo says:

so, i just have to throw this in, say you’re an 18 y/o boy and you think a 10 y/o girl has a nice body and its a sick thing to say. then there’s the 28 y/o boy married to a 20 y/o girl and its not sick anymore…….spare me the difference between maturity, but really, who cares? its just a photo, these are just comments.

• srsly calm tf down says:

1. There’s no indication of the girl’s age.
      2. There’s no indication of Rooster’s or Chaplain’s age.
      3. What’s so “sick in the head” about commenting that a girl is cute? Regardless of age.
      4. While the girl is “obviously” under 18, she’s also “obviously” post-pubescent. This is not pedophilia. This boils down to personal and societal views on sexual morality. Guess what; not everybody shares yours.

Just relax and enjoy the picture. And let others do the same.

• captain kirk says:

Ummmm.. It’s called sarcasm people.