The Bunkbed

February 23rd, 2010

The Bunkbed - The Kids

Michael started to second-guess his choice of bottom bunk.

(submitted by Michael)

151 Responses to “The Bunkbed”

1. CarrieM says:

I love the little random shoe on the coffee table. Shoe – off!

2. Kristin says:

I think everyone with pictures from the 70s, 80s, and 90s had that kind of carpet in their house. I know my grandparents did in three rooms of the house.

3. Suki says:

my Aunt had the same coffee table.

4. John says:

I used to have the same table and carpet in my house growing up! no joke!

5. April says:

haha my parents have some matching furniture to this too.. awkward positioning of the table as on the other side there are two doors leading to storage that you can’t get at… there was also some octagon or hexagon shaped taller table with awkward tall thin doors on it. Not to mention the matching red and yellow/red flame-like couch cushions

• Cari says:

My grandma had the coffee table and end tables, too. I think my aunt (she lives in my grandma’s old house now) still has them.

6. Maryann says:

Precious! I love that they were probably playing and then eventually just conked out…happy and content. I want my toddlers back! (Sometimes :-)

7. Layla says:

Seriously the sweetest thing I have seen in a while.

8. Nerdboy says:

That’s where they got the idea for “Quad-desk” on ‘The Office.’ Hello? Dwight Shrute here.

9. muffinz says:

I have that piece of furniture…I’m pretty sure it was trash picked too….maybe it was theirs before. O.o

10. j-lu says:

where do you guys buy your coffee tables!? i want. mine were always glass and tipped over.
    it looks like the top kid magically pooped rabbit poops on the mystical slumber table without dirtying his pants. good show!

11. Lalala says:

Could you sleep so soundly on a coffee table? Nope. Therefore its an awkward position.

What is really awkward is the ever-present parenting police on every g-d baby photo. Chill out people…will ya? Quit searching for abuse and go play with your kid.

12. Dale says:

I have this exact same coffee table but yet I can never seem to get my kids to sleep on it

13. Karin says:

The only potentially awkward thing I can see about this picture is the explanation the parents would have to give to the Drs at the hospital about how the kids fell over the indoor balcony. The one on the bottom could wiggle and fall right through the bottom of that railing! Yikes!!! Why on Earth would someone put a table next to a railing like that? Better yet- why would the loft be the play room?

• Kim says:

That’s not a loft. That’s not a balcony. That’s pure 1970′s faux wrought iron interior decorating. It’s a room divider meant to set-off the “sunken” living room. If you’ll look next to the bottom baby’s head, you’ll see the floor. It’s just sunken enough for one step; a step that will annoy you for the whole time you live there. That being said, a fall over the railing would still hurt. But they’ve probably tripped and fallen on the step a thousand times already.

14. the5thplanet says:

The only thing awkward in this photo is the circa 1970s shag carpet!

15. DamitMommy says:

I too could look at this all day, super cute! Wonder how old those babies are now…

16. Mt. Pilot Fun Girl says:

I used to have that same coffee table. My dog liked to sleep in the “bottom bunk.”

17. maddie says:

This place is a DISASTER area! Have these kids been partying all day or what?

18. The Bottom Line says:

I love this photo, and these kids are adorable. But oh, the anti-babyproofing is killing me. “Hey, lets put a table up to the railing, so the kids can hop over and fall to the first floor so much easier!” I loved the 70s, and I also can’t figure out how babies managed to survive back then, myself included!

• Lizzy says:

The safety nazis need to get over it. A lot was different back then. Kids wore drawstring hoods and rode tricycles without helmets-oh the horror!

19. FlonkertonChamp says:

awww how sweet! it’s amazing how little kids can sleep just about anywhere.

20. Pret24 says:

I just love chubby little baby feet. *sigh* None of those in my house anymore.

21. bert & earnie says:

Thank you for posting this. Absolutely precious.

22. flipper says:

I just love the Cheerios in the foreground. To an already incredibly cute picture, it adds a certain… je ne sais quoi. (Yes, I had to Google that to figure out how to spell it.)

23. Lenny says:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! so cute!!!! Tellement beau! Adorable!

24. monica says:

my family has this coffee table and i would sleep on it when i was little too!! :)

25. Wavy-Gravy says:

WOW…my parents totally had THE EXACT SAME coffee table!?

Thing was like a jungle gym of excitement/nappery!

26. Rachelle says:

I would rather have the top bunk!

27. carol says:

It’s dangerous to have the coffee table so close to the railing. Kids are very quick and great climbers (when they’re not napping.) But maybe the family is in the process of moving in or moving out, and the table was just sitting there temporarily—I hope. Otherwise it’s adorable!

• Joey says:

I was about the type the same thing, but wanted to see if anyone else noticed it. CUTE pic, but the thought of one of them tumbling over that railing ::shudder:::

• Xtina says:

Seconded. That’s the first thing I thought of.
      Next thing was, “Awwww.”
      Third was, “Hope she doesn’t pee in her sleep.”

• Cyndie says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought that when first looking at this picture! Cute, yes, but paranoid mommy that I am can only think of one thing when looking at this pic… scary!

• Ananas says:

This was back in the day, when people weren’t quite as obsessed with child-proofing everything. I personally would have moved the coffee table away from the railing, and then removed the Cap’n Crunch pieces from under my baby’s face :)

28. nikkiface says:

Not awkward! ADORABLE!

29. Keith says:

Ok, so I’m not completely crazy, I thought it was *my* parent’s coffee table too. It must be a 70′s thing…

30. Dawn says:

That’s my daily dose of AWWWWWW! Now I can enjoy my day.

31. Heather says:

Is it weird that my family has the EXACT same coffee table?

32. 666 dimebag wife says:

This so reminds me of the Hoarders show. I wonder how many more babies will be found once the cleaning crew comes in and turns that house upside down?

33. laura says:

yeah this isn’t the least bit awkward…but very cute! and what are the odds of two kids falling asleep on the coffee table at the same time?! as a mom, i can respect that miracle!

• Steph says:

I think it would be considered an awkward way to fall asleep, so it still fits nicely on the site. Just like the pics of the camels humping each other wasn’t awkward per se, but the conversation the parents must have had with the kids probably was.

34. Erin says:

I could look at this picture all day. So CUTE!

35. Candy says:

LOVE the sculpted shag carpet. We had that style too back in 1976 except ours was avacado green!

36. That is precious and I think that’s my Grandma’s table.

37. Akasha says:

Awwwwwwwww!!!

38. Heather K. says:

Totally NOT awkward, but a WIN for adorable. :) Must be nice to be a kid and crash out whenever and wherever the hell you feel like it.

39. LFraser says:

This is the CUTEST thing I’ve seen in a while ;-)

40. Amy says:

Not awkward, but AMAZING that both babies are sleeping at the same time!! Precious. I hope the photographer took a nap immediately after taking this picture.