These Hands

March 9th, 2010

These Hands - Christmas

Nothing wrong with showing your love during the holidays, but let’s remember the baby.

(submitted by Willow)

160 Responses to “These Hands”

1. Blueskies says:

Not that it’s not a good picture amalgamation, but there are some pictures you just don’t share with everyone on your holiday card list. This is a good example of that.

2. cko says:

wow. ummm…cool idea for a pic for sure, but one that you keep to yourselves or display in a small frame in your bedroom, etc. Not a CHRISTMAS CARD!!

3. Tara says:

I don’t see anything wrong with the pictures per se. I would have loved to have pictures professionally taken of my very pregnant belly! I just think this sort of picture has a place in a scrapbook or in the privacy of your own home, not so much in the hands of great aunt Matilda.

4. Kathleen says:

Take of the watches! That is such a distraction in any portrait.

Aside from that, I like this. They are obviously very proud of having a baby and why not? The world needs more love and less judgement.

5. mrswatson says:

Personally, I’m more disturbed by her lack of pupils than I am by the groping. Anyone else?

6. Samantha says:

That’s…a whole lot of flesh and gripping and jewelry…wow.

So where’s the ‘thats not awkward’ comment? C’mon official devils advocates of AFP, you’re slipping ;)

7. Cari says:

Maybe they sent out pictures of the actual birth for Valentine’s Day.
    Klassy!

8. ANNAB says:

He holds the boobs
    she holds him and the baby
    priorities have been set I guess

9. Cynthia says:

The thing that makes me squirm about this is that it has the appearance of being sort of an action series…like, in some shots because of the angle she looks MORE clothed, and then slightly less clothed, and then there’s the, umm, well, money shot where unless you actually look for more than a moment you are pretty sure she’s topless.
    I don’t really want or need to see the PROCESS of friends or family members making their baby, KWIM? Especially not on a Christmas card. Egads.

10. Lou says:

My wife would have be uncomfortable taking one of these pictures while she was prego.

11. Ahmie says:

I think you folks are being a bit prudish – he’s not touching her naked breasts (I, for one, didn’t have to look all that closely to notice the dark BLACK fabric peaking out between their wrists in two places, especially given that the two other bare-belly shots show her wearing a black tube top). I think it’s very sweet, and considering that I put a “Big Bro To Be” shirt on my eldest for our holiday card pictures when I was pregnant with my second AND mentioned the coming baby in the first paragraph of the newsletter and STILL there was a large percentage of recipients who were totally shocked when they received the birth announcement 6 months later, I really don’t see this one as all that particularly awkward. This year’s holiday card showed me and my two boys by a decorated tree, with my 2nd trimester pregnant belly in profile (I was wearing a maternity shirt). As a photographer, I’ve taken similar pictures to these (with less harsh lighting and encouraging the removal of any jewelry that doesn’t add to the asthetic and/or doesn’t have strong sentimental value) and would not be in the least surprised if people sent them out to loved ones. For all we know, this couple struggled with fertility problems and sharing their joy in their imminent parenthood with people they cared about was highly significant to them. Don’t like it? Then don’t display this one in the tree-o-cards or whatever.

• Mamma Mia says:

Yes, she still has some kind of clothing over her chest. I think that makes it even MORE awkward — why do both of his hands need to be grabbing her boobies if not to cover them up? Pregnant or not, fully clothed or mostly naked — a photo of your man with his hands on your breasts is not something to be shown outside of your boudoir, let alone sent to all of your friends and family as a Christmas card. There are definitely other ways to place his arms/hands to make this picture classy, not awkward. And any of the other, smaller pictures would have made a much better feature photo than the one where he is feeling her up.

• DMF says:

Sorry, but there’s a huge difference between showing your belly in profile with a shirt on and having your husband with his hands over the “girls” (clothed or not) and your naked belly shining for all the world to see…

• Cecilia says:

*rolling my eyes as hard as i can*

• kim says:

I think you said it all “mentioned the coming baby…….totally shocked when they received the birth announcement 6 months later” I am think after seeing the pics they were much too afraid to read your letter.

• Pret24 says:

Don’t like what we have to say about AWKWARD FAMILY PHOTOS? Then don’t read the frickin’ comments. I’m getting awfully sick of people forgetting the point of this website. Get off your soapbox and leave us who have a sense of humor alone.

Geez.

• Slea says:

Eh, I say we just thank our lucky stars for people like Ahmie.

Without them, there’d be no AFP!

• Lily says:

Don’t you think this falls in to the wayyyyyyy too much information category ?
      Honestly.It is one thing to take a picture like this for themselves and it is totally something elese to put it on a christmas card.

• Sid says:

Ahmie, erm could we see some of your pictures please ? Please ? plese please please.

• Ugh! says:

Wow! You’re so self righteous, and yet so klassy! Don’t like it? Then don’t visit this most hallowed of websites.

12. Katie says:

Three letters: TMI.

13. kip says:

why do i want to know what they named the baby?

14. Louise says:

OMG Very very not needed

15. TERRI says:

That Gas X should kick in any minute now honey……

16. m says:

His Christmas present was someone telling him that once his wife starts breastfeeding, those become off limits. He is keeping his hands on them as much as possible before they are the baby’s property.

17. Smitty says:

Let’s see . . . Christmas . . . “and she was GREAT with child . . .” I suppose this could work, but it’s still a little creepy.

18. Anne says:

Oh boy, I’m having flashbacks to the Christmas card / baby announcement from my husband’s European cousin featuring the before and the after with everyone in their birthday suits. You all should be grateful this pair chose to be photographed with some attempts at clothing…

19. DMF says:

What disturbs me is that they start out fully dressed and then appear to lose more and more clothing. I am really hoping the photographer stopped with that last great “watch shot”…

20. AK says:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that it’s not the FLASH that makes these pictures difficult to look at.

21. Lillian says:

Wow,that must of been an awkward family gathering.. oh yeah we got your umm Christmas card.

22. voltron says:

Just a little bit too much. Wow!

23. TJ says:

Apparently they liked it enough to send it out as a Christmas card. Interesting to say the least, really I can’t imagine opening this up …. LOL!

24. Desiree says:

Can you imagine being the recipient of one of these cards????!!!!!!!!!

25. bunny says:

I always share my semi naked body boob holding photos with my friends and family during the holidays. Wonder if this card made it’s way up onto the fireplace mantel for all to see!

26. Heidi says:

Oh mercy. That’s definitely a memorable Christmas card— but TMI!

27. war says:

he didnt want her to block his sweet watch!

28. calicious says:

Ok, the pictures are cool if you are into that kind of thing, but not for Christmas cards…

29. Andi from NC says:

Gives “jazz hands” a whole new meaning….

The woman who photographed our wedding had a similar package available but I don’t recall quite as much skin in the samples I looked at. One set of parents already had the name picked out so they painted the name on mom’s belly – it was actually pretty cute to know that “Sarah” was in there just waiting to meet the world. But again, the parents were pretty modest (just the belly was showing). And to use as a Christmas Card – that is pretty bizarre….

30. dog barf says:

Are they wrestling?

31. Brandi says:

Yikes…

32. Penny D. says:

That is… truly special. At least Mom kept the bandeau on for that big picture. Just wish I hadn’t had to examine it so closely to figure that out.

33. amanda says:

uhhh, where do I look? where do I look? SO uncomfortable!!!!!

34. El & Mo says:

“These hands” need a more strategic placement!

35. Jane Doe says:

How about “let’s remember the grandparents, et al” that this creepy Christmas card was sent to?

36. pafoer says:

I have a feeling she will not need to worry about finding a blanket to cover while breastfeeding.. baby daddies got her covered.

37. Penny says:

Um, wow. Ok, the pics are kind of cool for what they are…that being said, SERIOUSLY as your Christmas card?? Really??

38. katie says:

blank stare.

39. Dara says:

I can’t imagine lining this card up next to the others on my mantel.

40. mamasmilkman says:

Nothing says “Happy Holidays” showing some skin.

41. Lacey says:

disturbing! hahha wow. merry christmas!

42. Cid says:

Why do I suddenly want an orange?

43. kristi says:

that’s just a bit inappropriate…

44. Trisha Lamb says:

I’m disturbed by this

45. kaitlyn says:

oh wow O.o

46. charmy_canuck says:

did they take those pics themselves? I would have used softer lighting and air brushed momma in photoshop for a glowing effect…Those pics are really hard to look at with that flash…:(

• Robin says:

I hope they took them themselves. It would be even more awkward standing at Sears, JC Penny’s or Walmart for these poses. Actually, it looks like there is a backdrop behind them so it could have been done professionally.

• Slea says:

I shouldn’t think so. I think all hands are (thankfully) accounted for.;)

47. Jay says:

Now where is that pottery wheel?

48. Sarahm50000 says:

This Christmas card makes me feel very uncomfortable.