Behind The Awkwardness: Facial

May 6th, 2010

“This is me at my 9th birthday party…apparently it was laundry day as well. My best friend hit me in the face with a mini-golf putter at the Dairy Queen. It was an accident. Only two friends and my brother were still around for cake after I got home from the hospital. Really Mom, were there no clean shirts around?”

(submitted by Marc)

89 Responses to “Behind The Awkwardness: Facial”

1. djrobins says:

Luckily, he got hit in the head, or he could have been hurt!

2. liz says:

I am about to explode laughing! Tears are squeezing out of my eyes. That is the funniest story/pic ever!! Happy Birthday Junior, here have 15 stitches. OMG….so funny!

3. customcartoons says:

Well at least you know the two kids left are your true friends … ^_^

4. Jeighlynn says:

I want to travel back in time and give the 9 year-old you a hug and a clean shirt :(
    Classic Mom. Keeping the party going no matter what..”Oh yes, there will be pictures and you will pose for each one, even if you’re unconcious, mister.”

5. Sioux says:

this one made me laugh out loud! i love how everyone else is smiling!

6. Rod Farva says:

So this is why they closed the Harleysville Dairy Queen?!?! Just kidding.

7. cheryl says:

i love the blood is still on his shirt while they are eating cake! HA HA

8. sooz says:

Thanks for sharing Marc – this is a great pic!!!!! The whole thing is Classic!!!!! =D

9. James says:

I had the same thing happen to me on my 8th birthday! My uncle (who’s only 3 years older then me) was swinging a putter in the backyard. Still have the scar and I’m 40!

10. brittney says:

I was laughing so hard i was crying

11. David says:

This picture cracks me up every time I look at. :)

12. Babsy says:

LMAO!! I’m at work crying and clutching my stomach! Hilarious!

13. POOR BABY!! That makes me so sad! I hope you had a better tenth birthday! =(

14. Gigi says:

I think the brunnette boy on the lft grew up to be Jason Alexander/George Costanza and the boy on the right grew up to be Shawn Cassidy.

• cruelie julie says:

Isn’t the “boy” on the right a girl?

Love the smug smile on the brother in the back…such compassion for an injured sibling!

15. Samantha says:

This happened to me before too. only the golf club was plastic so the plastic cut me above my left eye. had 7 stitches, my cousin still says sorry everytime he looks at me.

16. jean says:

At least you know you had 2 dedicated and faithful friends who waited until you came back to celebrate your birthday. Either that or they just wanted the cake.

• Lisa says:

Ha, I was just thinking the same thing, how nice the two friends who waited for him. Or the birthday cake. Love the expression on the birthday boy’s face. Perfect.

17. Marc says:

This is not sad! It’s one of my favorite childhood pics. I’m just being sarcastic, I probably didn’t want to change my shirt and my mom didn’t want to make me do it on my birthday. It wasn’t the best birthday but we’ve had a lot of laughs about it since.

18. Tim says:

Taking “Birthday Spankings” to a whole new level…

19. mandy_Reeves says:

Reminds me of my bro when he turned 10. His buddies were having a scud missle attack fight with rocks. Someone pasted him with a rock and gashed his forhead open

20. Irene says:

What a sad memory. :-( If it makes you feel any better I got the chicken pox actually on my birthday in third grade. I had to cancel my party. And just last year I gave myself a concussion on my birthday. Me + birthdays = bad combination.

21. Bella says:

he got the birthday beating lol

22. Modine says:

Saddest Birthday story ever.

23. Margo says:

Well, this birthday looks memorable anyway! Hopefully you never had any later that were this bad….

24. mthrndr says:

The kid on the far left looks like he’s practicing to be a lounge singer on a cruise ship. Either that or he’s a dentist on vacation in hawaii.

25. Patricia says:

Those are a lot of nice smiles from the kids who didn’t get a putter in the face!

26. durhay says:

“Yeah, well you should see the OTHER birthday boy”

27. James says:

Welcome to Birthday Club. First rule of Birthday Club is: DUCK!

28. Heather says:

“Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day”

29. kt B. says:

Wow. And I thought my 11th birthday sucked. A friend dropped a piece of glass on my ankle and I had to get stitches. Golf club to the face wins.

30. ltr says:

lol, I love the fact that not only he’s not smiling, but he’s not even watching the camera

• John III says:

Because all he sees are twinkling lights and fuzzy spots! Probably doesn’t even know ther’s cake in front of him! Oh man…that poor kid…why can’t I stop laughing?

31. Dan Brennan says:

Better caption: You’ll have a happy birthday whether you like it or not.

32. Mav says:

Most definitely an unforgettable birthday! That’s what being a kid and growing up is all about!

33. Lucy says:

Poor little guy! That must have been an awful birthday for you. I’m glad you can laugh about it now!

34. awe, poor guy! I bet you were a hit at school the next day!

35. Monique says:

I just want to give your 9yr old self a hug.

36. DrStrangelove says:

The kid at the left of the picture must be your brother, who likewise had no clean shirt… being why he’s wearing his PJs!

• John R. says:

I was thinking, if I didn’t know the story behind the picture, I’d guess that the kid on the left caused the damage. Tough guy!

37. MikeZippy says:

brings new meaning to going “clubbing” on your birthday.

38. Tim S says:

“Really, Marc, it was an accident! I swear!” Yeah, right, I’ve heard that before…

39. binkymae says:

Knowing mothers, and birthday parties, and emergency rooms, and birthday party picture taking….. My guess is that she tried to get you to change and “you were in no mood” and she just didn’t have enough fight left in her to make it happen!

40. Sunshine says:

Are you kidding me? As a mom, I TOTALLY would have left the bloody shirt on!!!! This is a family story no one would believe unless there was photo proof! Cheers to quick thinking moms!

• SuperSal says:

hahahaha – So True Sunshine – i would of done the same myself..
      as far as still having the party, I bet he learnt life goes on no matter what happens :)- Try cancelling a party on a kid.. lol.. not going to happen :)

41. Michelle says:

Marc looks like he is losing consciousness. Wow. Like a Dennis Leary joke on screen.

“I knew from that point on, I would never be able to cry again.” – referring to when his father cut his thumb off and taped it on again.

• meri says:

Yeah, I felt sorry for the kid for having to take pictures of the ‘party’ and the cake, but I think mom was biding time and trying to keep him awake, because you know if you get a concussion you are not supposed to go to sleep. Clearly, he was slipping into unconsciousness.

• Missy says:

Yeah, his mom definitely had his best interest at heart keeping him awake for the cake before passing out. Cake generally does stop bleeding and concussions – at least in my experience it has. Always good to have a cake ready for when your children get concussions.

42. Skipping Lunch says:

By golly, mama paid good money for that cake mix, can of icing and those sugar candy decorations, not to mention that opportunity to use that tupperware cake stand, so we’re gonna finish out this birthday party no matter what it takes!

• Michelle says:

LOL, really! I am guessing the kid had good parents for taking him to the ER and he posted this picture with a sense of humor but as far as the party? I think I would have said… “Party’s over folks!”

43. emily says:

this.is.awesome.

44. BJ says:

Now that is truly an Awkward Family photo.

45. Kelly says:

Ha your caption was funny. I can feel the sarcasm! haha good pic!!

46. CE says:

I will never forget my neighbor’s ninth birthday party. It all started off well enough… until the cake. As she leaned over to blow out the candles, her hair caught on fire. Whoomp! Half of it just disappeared! There was lots of screaming and excitement, but no injury. We had cake and made fun of the bad smell. We then moved on to the the presents, the big one being a new bike. She took off down the road and had trouble negotiating a dirt patch at the end, She tried to turn out of it and lost control, wiping out into gravel and completely shredding the opposite side of her face from the burned hair. I wish there were pics!

• Hexipooh says:

BAHAHAHAHA! I wish you had pictures too. I know I shouldn’t laugh, but I cannot help it!

And Marc, I can just hear you folks telling you to “Buck up, Boy! It’s time for the birthday wish! Say ‘Cheeeese!’”

• Natty says:

With that story in mind, it’s probably a good thing that the candles on Marc’s cake are NOT lit!!!

• LuLu says:

OMG!!! The mental picture I got from that comment was better than any real picture could have been!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa! Poor thing.

• becky says:

I re-read this story about 3 times and laughed so hard. I’m surprised nothing like this happened to me growing up! I love it!

• naf says:

I’m crying, I’m laughing so hard. 9 is such an awkward age, really. It’s amazing we all didn’t have birthdays like that. I am still laughing as I type — I so love the drive to continue the birthday at any cost to life and limb. Those were the days….

• Annet says:

*ROFL* No pictures necessary!

• customcartoons says:

Wow. Worst birthday EVAR. Best gift she got that year was the gift of LIFE. Poor child. ^_^

47. Jeepers says:

Adds a whole new meaning to the term “birthday bash.”

Marc, I hope all the rest of your birthdays were better than this one!

48. Bethiepoo says:

Do I recognize that as the Tupperware Fresh and Fancy Cake Taker in harvest gold? It looks like your party was at the local boxing ring. Hope your other birthdays were better!

49. Joey says:

Awww! Look at the blood on your shirt! You poor kid! I hope you got something really cool for your birthday, at least!

50. Yvonne says:

Awww! Poor guy! This is sad, not awkward.

• Michelle says:

When did Dairy Queen offer miniature golf anyway?

• Slea says:

No, the event is sad.

Commemorating it with a photo? Awkward.

• CarrieM says:

Well, I think now we know why Dairy Queen STOPPED offering miniature golf.

• Tabitha says:

Actually, driving from a visit to Ohio back home to Jersey, we stopped at a Dairy Queen in a tiny, podunk town called Johnstown, Pennsylvania. They, too, had the elusive miniature golf. This was two years ago. So, I guess they’re still out there.

• Raven says:

The golf course behind that DQ in Johnstown isn’t DQ’s, it just happens to be behind it. LOL! I’m from that podunk town… and it really is a podunk town!

• Todd says:

A Dairy Queen in Watseka, Illinois had a mini-golf course behind it in the 80′s.