Awkward Family Story: Dessert Anyone?

June 28th, 2010

When I was 12, I got my first period. I was so embarrassed and had to work to get the nerve to confide in my mother. When I told her, she seemed very excited and oddly proud of me. Later on that day, I joined my mom, dad and younger brother at the dinner table only to be greeted with a cake that was decorated with the words ‘Congrats on your 1st Period.’ That’s right, my mom had baked a celebratory menstruation cake.

(submitted by Annabelle)

314 Responses to “Awkward Family Story: Dessert Anyone?”

1. claire says:

i got a full blown period party. cake and all. it’s not so awkward knowing there were other girls suffering through wacky mom’s

2. kbdragon says:

My mother wanted to do exactly this. Luckily she told me her intentions and I negotiated it down to a box of Little Debbies and not telling my brother why we were getting this special treat.

3. Jen says:

I think that’s kind of sweet. My mom took me out to lunch but I didn’t get a cake.

4. sr says:

My parents were divorced and i was with my dad when I got my first. I told him and he started crying, drove me to the store and didn’t go in with me because he was embarrassed I guess, then he drove me to my mom’s house and dropped me off. We never spoke about it again.

5. Linda says:

And this is why we crave cake and baked good during PMS.

6. Yikes says:

When it happened to me, my mom dropped me off in front of the female products aisle and told me to pick one…

I also told my mom she could tell my dad but he was in under no circumstances talk to me about it. He failed when he asked me if I could ride my bike “in my condition”.

7. I remember watching The Video in school about the girl who gets her period. She tells her mom and her mom takes her out to celebrate…with ice cream. I told MY mom about this and we had a good laugh about it because when I got my period in Febrary when I was 12 I called home from school to tell her and she goes, “Well…happy Valentine’s day!”

8. Mary-Lou says:

I was really nervous aboyt telling my mom so I told my sister and she laughed at me and told a bunch of the kids in the neighbourhood. I was only 11 years old too. I found out from my mom she probably did this because she did not get hers till she was almost 15 and there is a 3 year age gap between us. Resentment perhaps?

9. Jayne says:

I was lucky enough to start when I was at a community swimming pool and I was there with a neighbor and her kids, all boys. It was very awkward to say the least.

10. KK says:

Okay, I agree with Frodo and others who say it is a natural right of passage and can be celebrated. But leave the celebration somewhat private; don’t display it on a cake in the middle of a restaurant!

11. Stacey says:

My Mom got all excited and made me call my Grandma to tell her. I think My granny sent me ten bucks though!

12. Joy says:

My dad got me a present and asked to take me to dinner (just the two of us) in the big city. Really?! What 11 yr old wants to go on a date with their dad to discuss her rite of passage into womanhood?! Oddly enough, we never went because I never accepted his invitation.

13. SMF says:

I was on a school camping trip when I got my first period. That unfortunate moment was commemorated by whoever took a picture of me as I exited the outhouse. (The photo was later posted on the bulletin board at school.) My mother got me a marble cake. Yay.

14. Farmerga says:

I can see the Mother trying to let her child know that it was nothing to be ashamed of, but, the cake with it written across it was a little much IMO.

15. Juju says:

My mom was all excited too. She took me to a movie to celebrate. I want cake when they finally stop!

16. Sandy Kay says:

Oooooh such good ideas to keep in mind for my niece who is getting to that age!

17. Nancy says:

I did the “give the daughter the box and tell her to read the instructions” thing, same as my mother did for me. When it stopped the first time, she came to me all concerned. The poor child thought that it was a 24-7 thing for the rest of her life, not once a month. Of course I have had to repeat that story to everyone in front of her. What are mother’s for?

18. Robyn says:

My mother did something similar with my older sister. We were both so horrified that when my time came(at the age of 12), I told her under no uncertain terms that she was NOT to announce this publicly. When I was 16 my dad finally asked me if I had gotten my period. Guess mom took my words to heart a little TOO much…

19. Rose says:

Hey, that is my story up until the cake part, just a big announcement at dinner. I am still wondering what the guests at dinner that night were thinking…

20. lindsay says:

Yeah, when I got my first period, my mom gave me a hug and apologized for the years of pain to come. Then she told me that I should have told the neighbor whose house I was at when I noticed, because we had no pads at our house due to her having a hysterectomy. Cause that could have only made things 100x more awkward for me.

21. Breezy says:

just like in that awful movie, ‘ginger snaps’. it was slathered in cherry pie filling aghhhh!

22. Tim S says:

On that day Annabelle locked herself in her room and has never been seen again. She only communicates on website message boards.

23. RHB says:

My parents did the same thing for my sister! My Dad ordered a cake from the local small-town supermarket that said, “Congratulation on your first .” He thought the use of the punctuation mark period instead of the word would be so subtle that my sister wouldn’t have to be embarrassed to know it had been made locally! Instead it had the opposite effect: God only knows what “first” the baker thought my Dad was referring to, or how creepy she thought it was that a Dad would be acknowledging it for his daughter!

24. San Fran says:

was it a Red Velvet cake? Now THAT would be the real icing on the cake…

25. Barbara says:

Well, at least you were celebrated instead of initiated into the secret society. My mom told me where to find two dollars in the house and told me what to buy in the store (she worked). “Read the instructions on the box”, she said. We never discussed it again.

26. Leeann says:

you get bonus points if it was red velvet.

27. Jay says:

Reason #6,241 it is good to be a guy.

28. mum says:

OMgosh. I would have been mortified. I remember telling my mom about my first one, and I was all embarrassed and stuff. I told her to promise not to tell my dad!

29. Kelli M says:

Was is a red velvet cake?

• ann o. nymous says:

It’s basically a chocolate cake with white frosting but there is like a whole cup of red food coloring added to the cake part.

30. Sez Me says:

That is such a “Samantha Baker” moment from the movie “Sixteen Candles”. I would be going (insert slo-mo special effects) NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

31. j-lu says:

My mom slapped me (not very hard) across the face – said it was a tradition because “you get it if you’ve been thinking dirty thoughts.” It didn’t help that it was in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner. I was completely confused and horrified. And 11.

32. The Dude says:

Was it Red Velvet cake? Sorry, I had to ask.

33. Beth M. says:

She probably ground up some Midol and put it in the frosting.

34. bogeyrob says:

Were there cherries on top?

35. Kelli says:

Aww! You poor thing!

36. Frodo says:

Menstruation is nothing to be ashamed of. It is a natural biological function, besides being a right of passage. Most women don’t look at the reproductive cycle as embarrassing when they actually get pregnant.

I think it’s nice that the mother was trying to celebrate the transition into womanhood. Being healthy and fertile is something to celebrate. Just not by having 3 million kids.

My mother threw me an entire party where my friends and older female relatives came and gave me small presents symbolizing their ideas of womanhood and swapped stories. I loved it when I was 12 and I love it now. I didn’t even care that kids at my school made fun of me for it then, at least I have a healthy appreciation for the beauty of life.

• Beth says:

What’s wrong with having 3 million kids?

• Whoa says:

Mom? Is that you?

• John III says:

Nothing to be ashamed of is right. But it is still fun to swap silly stories on here. I have two little girls, and when they reach that time, there will be no parties. Why should there be? Should boys have parties when they have their 1st wet dream? Uh, no. It’s a biological fact of life, like getting your teeth, balding, menopause, whatever. Embrace it and move on. To be embarrassed by them is unhealthy on one end. But to celebrate like you won a nobel peace prize is pretty weird too.

• Frodo says:

Actually the celebration was related to our spiritual beliefs….. but I’m just saying…. people have birthday parties every year. To celebrate the biological reality of getting older. :P

• angelfirett says:

I agree that it was a nice thought but as a 12-14 year old that is mortifying as you can see by the girl/woman posting it. When you are that age you start getting embarrassed more easily.

• Adrienne says:

You’re right-menstruation is nothing to be ashamed of, but that doesn’t mean we can’t laugh at it. There is NOTHING more awkward than adolescence.

• lg says:

That sounds really nice, actually. i’m 13, and when i got my first period 2 weeks ago my mom literally said “Well, that’s fine. You have supplies, right?” That was it. no hug, no chocolate, no nothing. I’ll take a cake any day.

37. Snowrider says:

I don’t even want to how the cake was decorated. YEEESH!

• Lisa says:

That’s what I was thinking. I’m assuming it wasn’t shaped like a uterus, because that would have been priceless and well worth mentioning. :)

38. HeatherW says:

“Dear God, Please let there be an earthquake so I can die now. Amen.”

39. Debbi says:

at least it was not a red velvet cake…..

40. Angie says:

My mom was so squeamish about explaining anything like that so I went to my older sister.

41. TMM says:

Absolutely Awkward!

42. Joey says:

Thanks for NOT sharing a photo of the moment. Hopefully, your mom didn’t capture the moment with pictures.

43. andi in NC says:

That is classic!!! And I thought it was bad when my dad kept walking up to people on Easter Sunday at my chuch many years ago and announced – “My baby shaved her legs for the first time this morning.” ugh

44. Mer says:

At least you got a cake. All I got was a Kit Kat bar.

45. Baldguy says:

I gave my daughter a hug. She acted like I had just crossed the imbecile line.

Now 50, still no clue. ;-)

46. Katie says:

had to have been awkward for the dad and brother too! I would have been mortified

• Missy says:

I always feel bad for the dads in these situations. What are they supposed to do or say at that point? Brings me back to the “Roseanne” episode where Dan was at a total loss for words. It must be so weird for them. Poor daddies!

47. Steph says:

When I got my first period, my mom told my dad and he got me flowers…

48. DAve says:

Congratulations! You’re on the rag!

49. Karen says:

I so feel for you. I was standing just in the next room when I heard my mother announce to my big brother and father– in a formal tone– that I had started menstruating and was thus a woman. Damn feminism.

50. Freckles says:

What’d ya get after you told your Mom about your “first time”?

• Emily says:

I got a trip to taco bell.

• angelfirett says:

• Kristen says:

She said, “Well, you know what to do, don’t you?” and that was it. Maybe I was one of the lucky ones.

• Sue says:

It happened in 7th grade. I was at school. Had to leave so I called my Mom. Mom did not come, Dad did. Very awkward on ride home. When Mom got home she whispered to all in the house what had happened. Damn that Eve.

• Adrienne says:

An antique baby shoe. Don’t ask me why. The funny thing is, when my little sister started hers, she got the SAME shoe.

My girls are getting older. I wonder where the shoe is…