Party Till You Drop

June 28th, 2010

Party Till You Drop - Birthdays

Chuck E Cheese wasn’t available, but they got the next best thing.

(submitted by Brooke)

181 Responses to “Party Till You Drop”

1. Heather D says:

So how did they plug in the crock pot?

• PugMom says:

More than likely this cemetery is next to the church and a lot of the ones here have a little section with stone benches and back board with electrical outlets that can be turned on from the Fellowship Hall or the church itself.
      There’s a couple of them up from us that even have tables with the benches.
      If not that then they have just run a reallllllllllllly long extension cord from the closest building ;)

2. Jess says:

Maybe they’re of a culture where having parties at the tomb of loved ones is still the norm. My family used to have picnics at the family plot a couple of times a year. Granted, it didn’t usually involve cake, but it was still a party and it was still in the middle of a cemetery.

3. Marynez says:

Having grown up all my life in the South, I was surprised to see this listed as an awkward photo. Many families around here (I’m north of Atlanta) have their reunions in churchyards. Many of these older churches have cemeteries. If you drive around the back roads, you will see a lot of older churches with picnic shelters. This could have been the case of someone having a birthday at the same time as a reunion. Or a family using the church picnic area to have a party. I have hundreds of photos from our family reunions that show the cemetery in the background.

• CarrieM says:

Maybe their party would be a little more cheerful if it were relocated.

• PugMom says:

Marynez, I agree with you. We are in middle Ga.
        When I first saw this picture I sat and sat trying to find “what” was awkward about it! :D
        I grew up in Maine and the town had a centralize town cemetery that all the churches used and it was located away from all the churches.
        Down here just about every church has a adjoining cemetery[we're outside the town limits]
        I love the little girl to the right holding the plate and pursing her lip to help the other girl blow out the candles. ;)

And that old codger in the back tucking into his plate!
        Heck he doesnt care funeral/birthday/wedding/baby shower as long as the women folk cook the groceries he’s gonna eat his meal hee.

4. EPG says:

I bet they’re behind a church, and that’s the church’s graveyard.

5. hmbalison says:

Maybe this was a combination funeral/birthday party???

6. pwaa says:

Pretty brightly coloured clothes for a Funeral >_> I’m going with the whole Birthday party at a church thing.

Also, Never occurred to me that most American churches don’t have cemetaries attached <_< In the UK, the vast majority do!

7. songbirdcindi says:

It looks like the cake is in a Christmas ornament box. How awkward is that! lol

8. Debbie says:

When I first moved to TN I encountered this type of thing. PARTIES at the cemetery! It was at first really, really weird. But then when people explained it to me, it was kind of endearing. People out in the rural areas are VERY family oriented. Family is the most important thing ever.. you don’t have people moving off much. They grow up in a town, marry the guy next door and so you have a very long family with huge extended family. When the “head” of the clan passes it’s pretty huge deal. Part of the healing process is keeping these loved ones in the family…. they don’t forget them. They keep the cemetery plots decorated for every event, they visit, they talk. They have BBQs out there, etc. SO… this is probably one of those family events…birthday celebration with the family member that has recently passed on present. Strange to me….. but completely normal to them.

9. terri says:

Don’t drink the kool Aid!

10. K'lyn says:

Possibly explanation: They had planned a party for her birthday but then someone died just prior and some brainwave came up with the idea to have the birthday party at the cemetery, AFTER the funeral so they could fit eveything in without having to cut anything short… Yeah.

11. dMoose says:

everyone was just “dying” to attend!!!!!

12. Karen says:

Hey! My birthday and my sons birthday are coming up in July…I was wondering what venue to choose! Thanks!!

13. Fat Sweaty Bulldog says:

LOL very strange. my guess is they’re having the birthday at a church.. lots of older churches have cemeteries attached

14. danasuevk says:

There’s a house near us that is right next to the cemetery, could be them.

15. AJ says:

In my neighborhood, there used to be a park right next to a cemetery, but there was always a fence separating them. (The cemetery has since expanded and the park is gone.) Perhaps this was in a park or a yard and it happens to be right next to the cemetery? Weird, is all I can say. Whatever. Maybe the girl really likes cemeteries.

16. mss1616 says:

Jenny don’t be upset just because grandma died and we had to have her burial the on your birthday don’t think you wont get a party!

17. Ell Jay says:

Anyone else find it extremely creepy that the people closest to the cake are the youngest, and they get older as they reach the cemetery? O_o

18. special k says:

where do they plan to plug in the crock pot??

19. Jacobi says:

In my parents’ cemetery, they have “neighbors” who regularly have parties. Tables, cake, chairs, the works. It appears that every family milestone includes a party at the cemetery with the dead relatives.

20. brodie says:

21. Nicole says:

No one looks very happy. I think they are regretting the idea of having a birthday party with a recently deceased loved one. Just doesn’t work.

22. ChristiT says:

It was probably at a church that has an attached cemetery… older churches had those. Took me a minute to get. LOL

23. Cori says:

Lets hope she doesn’t have a “death wish”.

24. Toni says:

If this were in Utah, one of those dishes would have funeral potatoes it them.

25. TeeBee says:

Maybe it’s at a church. A lot of country churches (especially older ones) have cemetaries on the church grounds. I’ve been to a church where there were gravestones dated back to the early 1900′s.

26. Kristin says:

oh…I am dying for an explanation!! This is too much.

27. loshalott says:

It’s the circle of life … and also a great example of multi-tasking… while we’ve got the family gathered for the funeral, let’s celebrate July birthdays as well!

28. Robert says:

This was still kinda awkward even BEFORE I noticed the cemetery. Ohhhhhhh 5 stars.

29. Joonie says:

it’s a Twofer. A birthday celebration and a reception following a funeral. After all, “funeral” begins with “fun”.

30. Punk says:

I’m lovin’ the old dude in the background already digging in to his lunch. Oh, get it? Diggin in? Sorry.

31. Amanda says:

The cake definitely says “Happy Birthday.” I think it could be a church yard. Some churches have cemetaries that have grown so large that they take up the entire area surrounding the church. And many country churches don’t have air conditioning, so going outside may have been the only cool option.

32. humincat says:

Here is my best guess: the gathering after the funeral is held at the cemetary for some reason and the youngest attendant wanted a cake? You see how nobody is gathering around her to sing? What do you think?

33. durhay says:

Reminds me of an episode of “Mad Movies With the L.A. Connection”

34. blu_canary says:

Because everyone was dying to come to her party?

35. HeatherW says:

I stared at this for a good thirty seconds or so before I realized they were in a cemetary. Wt*??

36. Took me a moment to notice the raised leg.

37. binkymae says:

I see fresh dirt and flowers…please tell me this is not “dinner on the grounds” following the funeral!

38. John R. says:

No. No. It’s just too weird. My brain ….

39. Kris says:

It took me a minute to get this one, then I looked at the background a little more closely. Umm, very strange……

40. Daddy says:

It took me a while to see this one. I was so focused on the foreground that I didn’t immediately notice the cemetery in the background. The fresh graves are the creepiest part, for me . . .

41. Katie C. says:

Wow. A cemetary??? That is insane. I am guessing they had the party at a church, and the backdrop just happened to be the cemetary. LOL. Still pretty damn funny.

• dennylou says:

A birthday celebration at the family church is a very plausible explanation of why a teenage girl would consent to having her birthday party adjacent to a cemetery. It always amazes me how, when people take pictures, they don’t take into account the composition, surroundings or what may be in the background – but then again, if they did, this site wouldn’t exist. I hope she was able to spend part of her birthday with her friends. The folks in attendance look absolutely thrilled to be there.

42. Tom says:

Instead of “Happy Birthday” they sang “Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum, 15 men on a dead man’s chest” before she blew out the candles.

43. DrStrangelove says:

Well, they have a nice, quiet, shady area, and they sure won’t be disturbing the neighbors! But really . . .

44. Richard says:

If that is not a birthday cake is there something called a ‘Death’ cake? Guess you wouldnt have the breath to blow out the candles though. And I dont see anything in the crock pot.

45. JR says:

I must be blind…I’m not seeing what’s funny in this pic.

46. Arielemc says:

I have to admit it took me a minute to get this one…

47. Thom says:

They didn’t want Grandma (RIP) to miss the party.

48. Avi32 says:

This photo NEEDS a “behind the awkwardness” explanation. What possible series of events could lead to blowing out birthday candles at a cemetery?

49. audiododd says:

This DEFINITELY needs a “Behind the Awkwardness!”