Party Till You Drop

June 28th, 2010

Party Till You Drop - Birthdays

Chuck E Cheese wasn’t available, but they got the next best thing.

(submitted by Brooke)

181 Responses to “Party Till You Drop”

1. Michelle says:

My brother-in-law’s family has reunions in the cemetery where some family members are buried. Seriously.

• stori hyche says:

omg, my bff is in this pic she is the 2nd person sitting on the left, granny is beside her on her right and her mom and sis are beside her. this is too funny I love you jessica and I can’t believe granny is looking so fly!

2. Victoria says:

Fortunately, the pavilion at Stephen King Park and Playground was not booked that week.

3. Trieva says:

Actually, this is probably a church. Our church has a cemetery and also has an out door shelter that is available for members to use….depending on the angle of the shot, you’d get some graves in it!

4. mary says:

party in a graveyard, Woo hoo!!

5. Blinkered says:

6. Kaylin says:

This reminds me of my family, every year we go out to the cemetery to celebrate my uncle’s birthday and then again for his deathday. We party out there, have some cake and a couple drinks around his grave.

7. Georgie says:

Ok. I live in the South(Alabama) and this is very normal,lol. Most churches have the graveyards on the grounds of the church and ALOT of family reunions and family gatherings take place at the church. But, yes I do admit it did feel weird sometimes.

8. Darlene says:

This is dinner on the grounds…….after the Sunday morning church service, primitive baptist churches in the south have a big potluck type dinner that is referred to a dinner on the grounds. Its been going on since the 60′s that I know of!!!!

9. Suzanne says:

The memories!! When I was growing up, we would have family reunions and picnics in the cemetary down in Morgantown, KY, where my mom’s family was from!!

10. Christy says:

It took me a sec but, when I saw it made me lol! Thank goodness my boss is at lunch or I’d be in trouble:)

11. Smartazz says:

Mom…This is my worst birthday ever !!! This place is Dead ! now I know why they put fences around Cemeteries, because everybody’s dying to get in !!!

12. Rory says:

Heaven forbid I ever live in a city so crowded that the only available public parks are cemeteries.

13. Jeighlynn says:

When mom says: “Everybody’s coming to your party.” She means it, darnit!

14. Nicole says:

We used to have the cousins birthday parties in the church’s grave yard. I thought for a second this was my older cousin’s birthday. I never understood why we didn’t just use the fellowship hall. Now, they have the activities for VBS in the graveyard.

15. Lila says:

Just remember that somewhere outside the frame is a little country church, and they’re actually having the gathering in the churchyard, not the cemetery. This looks WAY too familiar, though.

16. Kari says:

Yeah… those look like possibly multiple FRESH graves in the background… makes this super creepy. If it were taken at dusk it would be way better!

17. mjy says:

They are all way too dressed up for a little girl’s party outside in the summer. I am betting this is in the back yard of a church.

18. Davy says:

this is so photoshoped

• Lila says:

I seriously doubt it. This looks perfectly normal to me. They’re having “decoration,” and this girl’s birthday just happens to be on the same day. Decoration is a southern tradition of putting flowers on family graves during the spring or summer, when the flowers are prettiest and there are an abundance of them. It’s a common time for family reunions or special church services.

• Tack says:

You are absolutley right. This is my brother’s daughter, he took the picture. Amy’s birthday did just happen to fall on “Decoration Day” at thier church in central Alabama. And IS NOT PHOTOSHOPED!

19. Chy says:

They are at a decoration, I’m guessing. I think it’s a southern thing. But I figure since the family was all already there, someone thought it would be a good time to get her a cake. Sounds like something my family would have done.

20. SarahHarm says:

I didnt get it at first. I saw the chick and the cake and started looking for someone who fell or something. I literally jumped back when I saw the gravestones. Yikes.

21. Tiffani says:

“You’re not getting older, you’re just one more year closer to death!”

Please see our visual aids.

22. carmen says:

My guess is someone died and they had a pot luck dinner afterwards. thats what they do at the funerals where my family is from. this poor girl had a birthday that same time… they figured while the whole famiy was together they would celebrate her birthday. poor girl. The cake (in a xmas present box..) says ‘happy birthday Amy’ i think.. and then two other words at the bottom

23. Patrick says:

The Jones family figured out a way to get rid of the family Old timers, and have a great party.

24. Scott says:

boy talk about killing two birds with one stone.

25. Tony says:

Don’t forget to save some cake for aunt Julie may she rest in peace.

26. cheryl says:

MOM I want to have my party at the cemetary just like in twilight!

27. A lot of southern churches have a picnic area outside the church that is used for reunions, church gatherings, etc. And yes, the graveyard is nearby. Maybe they could have aimed the camera in the other direction so as to have a better background?

28. Robert says:

There were two cakes on the buffet table. “Happy Birthday Melanie” and “Tick, Tick, Tick, Grandma.”

29. MCR says:

Everybody sing! “It’s my party and I’ll die if I want to…”

30. John R. says:

I enjoyed this picture yesterday, but just now noticed the title, “Party Till You Drop”. Ahh ha ha ha, good one AFP!

31. Stephanie says:

It’s a midwestern goth thing…

32. Marie says:

Perhaps this was to help the elderly members of the party feel more at home?

33. Teresa says:

Holland could have stopped here, “This actually isn’t all that awkward to me. My family has land in a small east Texas town.”

34. MaryCherry says:

I’ve heard all the “one year closer to death” jokes; but, this is going too far!

35. Gigi says:

The birthday girl was very insistent on having her party at the cemetery. She was hoping Edward adn the rest of her vampire friends can come and join them.

36. Boo! Didley says:

Please RSVP, or RIP for the party!

37. Alan says:

Does that casserole dish right at the front look regulation size?? Could this be Marnie’s farewell?

• CatiK says:

Hahaha!! That is hilarious! I just love this website and references to Marnie are awesome! Thanks for the smile!

• Ang says:

Also, the containers do not have lids and serving spoons!

• Caivan says:

I am pretty sure Marnie is the older woman in the blue dress with the “They didn’t follow my instructions” look on her face…

• Cathy says:

Marnie was so angry at the blatant disregard her family showed for her explicit instructions that she started screaming in the middle of dinner and choked on a lump of particularly dry turkey.

She could probably have been saved but everyone was afraid they’d perform the Heimlich in a non-regulation manner and they’d never hear the end of it……

38. Joanne says:

I wonder what flavor the cake is. Marble, perhaps? :)

39. zukimac says:

What does the cake say? “Happy Deathday”….. maybe?

40. Shai says:

The ultimate surprise party…

41. Amanda G says:

Wow, this brings me back. We even have pictures of us posing with head stones with our descendants’ surnames on the top and beam with pride. It was all so much fun in a tales of the crypt kind of way.

I notice a freshly dug grave. Hopefully, this isn’t the wake.

42. Holland says:

This actually isn’t all that awkward to me. My family has land in a small east Texas town and every year in July all of the families who have land out there (and have family members in the cemetary) gather for a business meeting and potluck lunch on the cemetary grounds. If my birthday fell in July during the meeting I’m sure we’d have a birthday cake and candles out there too!

• lyn says:

thats funny because we do a reunion/graveyard clean up with my husbands family every year in east texas at a church in the middle of no where around the end of july/beginning of august.

• Jess says:

My family does the same things around the same time of year. It is also in East Texas. We call it Graveyard Day. Ever since I was a youngster all the families who had members buried in the cemetery would meet up, eat lunch, have a service/meeting/gospel sing along and then walk around the cemetery listening to our parents and grandparents tell us about the people buried there. It was how we learned about who we came from. I actually quite enjoyed those times. Eating lunch under the East Texas Pines…

43. Susannah says:

Someone always ends up buying the house next to the cemetery. We just always hope it’s not our family.

And the freshly dug grave is creeping me out.

• McGoogle says:

We went from military housing to my dad’s family land next to the local mortuary/crematorium when he retired. I recall eating dinner the first night at the house when this weirdly sweet/rancid smell permeated the house – they had fired up the “oven” next door and were cremating someone’s remains. Needless to say, dinner was not finished that night when we found out what it was/where it was coming from. Within a month we didn’t even notice it anymore, and after a couple of years we were puzzled when people visiting the house were freaked out by the idea.

I must say, I sometimes miss living next to the mortuary…the neighbors were SO quiet .

44. Bruce says:

She says “I’ll blow out those candles if it KILLS me!”

45. Amy says:

Hmm. My guess would have to be that this is an “over the hill” party and they decided to have it be a surprise party at the cemetary. Though I would have had more black and dreary decorations, but it might be a fun idea. (must use idea in the future)

• CarrieM says:

The girl blowing out the candles looks about 13, and it doesn’t look like anyone’s having a good time. But yes, let’s have the next bash at the cemetery.

46. william says:

“They’re coming to GET yoooou, Barbara!”

47. Tee says:

I live in the rural midwest and it’s common to have reunions, etc… in large local cemeteries. It was odd when I first moved here, but having seen the big pot lucks in combination with grave decoration and even cemetery clean up/work days, it’s not awkward at all to me now. Many times, that is the largest place to have a covered picnic area and is a central gathering spot, particularly if there is a church nearby.

48. ToddC says:

If a woman dies at her 75th birthday party and you weren’t invited, do you still have to go to the funeral? I did.

49. Tammy says:

My family used to have family reunions at the cemetary. Honestly, I looked extra hard at this photo to make sure it WASN’T my family!!

• Wanna says:

I had to look and see if I recognized anyone too lol. My family also did the same.

• Mic C says:

Hilarious! It took me a second to see the grave markers in the background. We have a cemetery on our property (oldest grave from 1790) and the descendants come every year to visit. One year there was a 21 gun salute from Confederate reenactors. I now do whatever I can to discourage their return.

50. Heather D says:

Doesn’t it look like some of those graves are opened?