Party Till You Drop

June 28th, 2010

Party Till You Drop - Birthdays

Chuck E Cheese wasn’t available, but they got the next best thing.

(submitted by Brooke)

181 Responses to “Party Till You Drop”

1. Raeann says:

If it’s in Tennessee, it could possibly be a funeral. I have inlaws from Tennessee, and they bring food for all death related events. They even bring casseroles to the funeral home on the day of the funeral, and there’s always a great big dinner for the whole family after.

2. gg says:

So interesting to read the comments about Decoration Day – is the (what looks to me like a) “birthday cake with candles” part of that too?

3. Gayla Collins says:

As a church pastor, this photo could have been taken at my rural church because the church cemetery is adjacent. The cemetery makes a great back drop for the Fall Fun Fest with the kids in their Halloween costumes.

4. Lisa says:

Where was this picture taken? It looks familiar.

5. Darla says:

As pointed out above, “Decoration Day” is a *thing* in the South. We never had a “family reunion” because we always met up on the 3rd Sunday in May at the graveyard where our family is buried. Our little clan has dwindled, but the event continues. My father recalls a time when the area around the cemetery was crowded with horses and buggies, and “dinner on the ground” went on for several yards. It’s a great tradition full of history. At first it bothered me to see the pic used in this way, but I’m happy that we have the chance to share some of our culture.

6. Pogonip says:

In Mexico it’s the custom to picnic in the graveyard on the headstones of family members on the Día de los Muertos. A place is set for the dear departed, and food put out for them. Americans are more into a death-denial cult, for some reason unwilling to accept that we all end up dead, no exceptions.

7. topher5150 says:

just think how awkward it would be if they had the birthday party the same day as a funeral.

8. Meghan says:

It took me a minute to figure it out, too but I actually bet this is at a church that has a graveyard on site.. it is funny that there’s a graveyard in the back but not anywhere near as awkward as the other pics!

9. annm says:

I had friends whose backyard butted up against a cemetery. I’m sure a lot of their family function photos have fresh graves in the background. Location location location.

10. Candice says:

It took me a long time to figure out what was supposed to be funny about this picture. I finally realized it’s because the function is taking place at a cemetery. I’m from Alabama and , trust me, this is a very common occurance. This is either a birthday/Decoration Sunday (annual “decorating” of your relatives graves – yes, it’s real) combo or some kind of “dinner on the grounds” situation at this family’s church. Either way, scenes like this happen all the time, especially at little country churches. I can see how it looks odd but it’s just so common here, I thought nothing of it during my first few inspections of the photo. Deep South traditions – gotta love ‘em!!

11. Annetta says:

Imagine my suprise when my niece told me to look at this picture and realized it was my family, I am in the black shirt next to my mother, grandparents and sister. Too funny.

• Chloe says:

I almost wasn’t going to write on here, because I did not want people to think I was in your family! haha But…this is a sick picture…haha I thought this was a joke or maybe I was hoping it was. haha! My sick, sick family.

• Elizabeth C says:

I agree that this is very likely the birthday or anniversary of a loved one’s death. It isn’t that uncommon to have a celebratory event by the grave of a loved one.

• Darla says:

I just have to ask– is this cemetery in TN? When I first glanced at it, I could have sworn it was one from my own photo album.