Awkward Family Story: Caps

July 5th, 2010

Thanks to Facebook I now receive messages from a great aunt I haven’t seen in 35 years. She an old southern gal that can’t seem to find the cap lock key :)

IM SURE ALL WILL BE GLAD TO ADD YOU. THEY ARE ALL ON MY PAGE. JIMMY HARTWELL AND HIS WIFE BETSY IS ON HERE. THEIR KIDS DOUGLAS AND SHANE. BOBBY IS IN NURSING HOME IN ELBERTON, BUT HIS SON BILL HARTWELL IS ON HERE. AND DOYLES GRAND KIDS. BILLY HARTWELL HIS SON AND WIFE IS ON HERE.IT’S SO GREAT WE ALL CAN TALK TO ONE ANOTHER. I HAVE MY DAUGHTER BETH IS ON HERE AND ANN’S DAUGHTER CARLA IS ON HERE. SOME OF GARTHEL GRAND KIDS IS ON HERE. TOMMY ANDERSON DAUGHTER IS ON HERE WEYMANS ANDERSON THERE KIDS ARE ALSO ON HERE, SO WE HAVE GOOD MANY EVERYONE CAN GET TO KNOW THERE KIN PEOPLE.

(submitted by Cheryl)

76 Responses to “Awkward Family Story: Caps”

1. PJ says:

Hug and cherish this aunt. She is something,caps and all.

2. AmyB says:

That was actually painful to read.

3. Rick says:

I have an aunt in real life when your talking to her, she talks in CAPS!!!!

4. Mel says:

Oh, don’t be mean to old people. I think the elderly’s role in society has gradually faded, but throughout the history they are supposed to be the ones who hold big families together and make sure they know their roors. Now, I know in this day, it isn’t realistic, but still…

5. Meredith says:

Ken is on here and his kids is with him, the three from his first wife Lynn…and the two identical twins with his second wife Mary Knell…also on here is his third wife Kay, who talks all about AA…and Fred and Rita from Harlingen – I can’t remember how I’m kin to them…

6. Judah says:

I WANT TO KNOW WHY THEY DONT HAVE FACEBOOK AT THE NURSING HOME, AND IF BOBBY WANTED ONE COULD UNCLE JIMMY GO AND MAKE ONE FOR HIM AND MAYBE TAKE A PICTURE SO WE KNOW ITS HIM?????

7. Beck says:

CAPS LOCK; CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME!

8. Namabiru says:

Wait… she forgot that cousin Eddie Hartwell is also on here, and so are his two kids Rocky and Ruby Sue. And so is Bob Hartwell and his wife Kay, and their son John Hartwell who just added her. Regina Jones and her husband James Jones and their daughter Katherine and her fiancee Patrick are also on here and they’re doing real well…. (^^)

9. laura says:

I almost died when my mother “found” the facebook!

10. Eva says:

This makes me miss my kinfolk. So cute, I love it when the elderly get to enjoy ALL thier KIN.

11. SeaD says:

Please talk slowly, I don’t hear good anymore. ;D

12. Chachi says:

Each one of her updates is just a statement of who “is on here.”

13. Missy says:

This should also be a drinking game. Everytime she says “is on here” take a drink.

14. Missy says:

This is not only a southern thing. EVERYONE HAS AN AUNT WHO TALKS IN CAPS but also will know where everyone is – list off people you have never heard of like you are lost long friends. I have several. (aunts and long lost friends and people who I have never heard of.) THIS WAS VERY FUNNY!!! THANKS FOR SHARING IT!

15. tink1272 says:

This is just precious.

16. Jennifer says:

Took my mom about three months to figure out why she couldn’t see my husband’s FB posts, but only his replies to my posts (he did NOT want to friend her, and I did not want to be the one to tell her). AWKWARD!
    What a relief when he finally caved in and friended her. They still don’t talk, but now the questions have stopped. ;-)

17. PugMom says:

I have an elderly Auntie who signed up for FB and a couple of young cousins up in Oregon were her first “friends.”

Being teenagers they write things on their FB page like “Going to town to shop and eat lunchhhhhhhhhhhh” so Auntie thinks that’s how she should post on her status page.

Only thing is it gets hilarious when you read “test have come back and I def have goutttttttttt” or my all time favorite “we went to the funeral home to say our last goodbyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees”

She also gets notification from FB when sombody posts on her Wall or Status and we also send her separate emails but she THINKS they are all connnected somehow.
    I sent her a list of the menu for the 4th to see what she wanted to bring and she said looked all over FB for 2 hours hunting for the menu.

18. Joe says:

My grandmother signs all of her facebook with posts with her name. It will say- “Betty Smith Thanks to my friends for all the birthday wishes. -Betty” or “Betty Smith is making sweet tea. -Betty” She hasn’t quite grasped the concept that we can see who’s typing the messages.

• KM says:

Wow, my aunt does that too. It also has their picture next to their name (If they’ve gotten so far to figure that out :) )

Lisa Johnson: Happy birthday Kelly! I miss you. Aunt Lisa.

KM (me): Aunt Lisa, I obviously know it’s you. You don’t have to type your name!

Lisa Johnson: Well alright, fine. Love you, Aunt Lisa.

• Oreo says:

my mom does the exact same thing – she’ll start by commenting on my status and then veer off into some 4-paragraph “letter” and then sign it, “Love, Mom.” She posted comments on my blog the same way – I had to keep deleting her so the whole world wouldn’t have to read about the long line at the post office the other day. . .

19. Freckles says:

mY MOM TYPES IN CAPS TOO. bUT THEN SHE FORGETS IT’S ALL CAPS AND WILL USE THE ‘UPSHIFT’ KEY AT THE START OF A SENTENCE. tO CAPITALIZE THE FIRST LETTER. lIKE i AM DOING RIGHT NOW. sEE WHAT i MEAN?

20. JJ says:

I’m pretty sure if I showed this list of names to my own grandmother in Elberton, she could figure out who your great aunt was in about two guesses. We might even be kin ourselves!

21. mellowknee says:

Bless her heart, hasn’t the great old aunt noticed that Facebook posts her friends profiles on her behalf? Poor thing put all that energy into drafting a redundant e-mail.

22. Katie says:

I have an aunt that does the same thing on Facebook.

23. lucy says:

Sometime elderly people can’t see that well- that’s why they write in caps…. Sheesh!

24. jeah says:

perhaps she uses the caps lock because she doesn’t know how to magnify the letters any other way, and as an elderly woman has poor eye-sight.

25. KM says:

Hey, maybe we’re related because I have a great aunt that does the same thing! Every wall post, comment, status update, even emails, ALL IN CAPS!!! I get a headache just thinking of her yelling all this out. Grrr…

• Tee says:

Kim, have you said something to her? Not to hijack the thread, but I had an elderly coworker who did this and when I gently shared with her that caps are interpreted as shouting, she appreciated the tip. We work for a college and had wondered why the students were ignoring all her emails.

That said, the ‘on here’ part of the original posting is hilarious! And it probably was her status LOL

• Freckles says:

Proof that typing in ALL CAPS doesn’t always get the message across clearer. KM is typed in all caps, yet Tee still misread it as Kim. “LOL”

• KM says:

@ Freckles: Thank you! I was thinking the same thing. KM is my first & last initials (which would be capitalized, right? yes!).

Anyhoo, she’s old, I figured I’d just let her shout her recipes to the facebook and e-world if she wants to. And I’ll just take my ibuprofen every time.

26. Kate says:

Grandma, is that you?

27. Chad says:

Did she know how to send that message privately or was that her status for two weeks?

28. Rachel says:

My aunt does the exact same thing. Half of my photos have an ALL CAPS comment below them from her. It’s cute. :)

29. Lance says:

Thankfully my in-laws don’t have “the online”, otherwise I would be seeing posts like this a lot more often!

30. And only once did she find the apostrophe.

31. Jeff says:

I’M ON HERE, THEY’RE ON HERE, HE’S ON HERE, SHE’S ON HERE, WOULDN’T YOU LIKE TO BE ON HERE TOO?

32. LisaPizza says:

The great-aunt is totally cool.Folks who remain that intellectually curious and interested in people tend to live longer and stay sharper and more connected to life itself, I think. She sounds like an excellent example with what it means to age successfully.

• LuLu says:

I totally agree. Both my grandparents are in their mid 80′s and have a computer that they are are on daily to play games, send emails, and to keep in touch with friends and family on FB. Neither worked in fields that were technologically advanced before they retired (packing house, custodian) so the fact they could learn to use a computer so successfully so late in life amazes me and gives me hope for my own future!

• DD says:

I always found it weird that my dad, a scientist, used computers back when they were made from vacuum tubes, but refused to ever use a pc, email, or the internet. And HIS mom didn’t want a color TV when they were invented! Guess at some point some people hit the wall with technology and can’t handle anything new. Lulu, good for your grandparents.

• chris says:

I agree. What was wrong with this?

33. She also seems to be unable to find the idea of subject-verb agreement.

34. Gert says:

IS MARNEY ON HERE?

35. Drea says:

Oh, Elberton GA? Yeah, this suddenly doesnt seem so out of hand.

36. barb says: