July 20th, 2010

Drifters - Pets

The only wood classy enough for these cool cats.

(submitted by Brenna)

22 Responses to “Drifters”

1. M. Barassed says:

As embarrassed as I am by the existence of this photo, I do find it hilarious too. (Hey, didn’t you do anything regrettable when you were 20?)

In our defense, those cats were very unique… They performed tricks for our guests, and were quite entertaining even without an audience. They used to steal food from the freezer, and open the pantry closet and push food off the shelves. Ice cream dripping from the open freezer door was bad, but the exploded jar of spaghetti sauce was worse. It was e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e, and caked-on solid by the time we returned.

So why did we keep these cats around? The same reason this picture exists: they made us do it. Yes, we were HOSTAGES! For the record, the cats (Wally on the right, Ray on the left) paid for the proofs. But I suspect it was with money they stole from us!

PS – FWIW, the jacket was camel hair, and very well made. (Stupid patches).

2. Robert says:

Now Bill, that’s messed up! “W” looks great now, too!

3. Bill says:

That’s my sister and former brother-in-law. That was taken before my niece was born, and she’s 25 now! All I can say is no amount of plastic surgery will make my sister look that young again .

• Colleen says:

That is my brother and former sis-in-law, and Bill, you’re in SO MUCH TROUBLE! At least our niece has a wonderful sense of humor, just like her parents, eh?

4. Jennie says:

18 different things are wrong and awkward…driftwood in a generic photo studio, along with cats and Gunny Sack blouse and elbow patch jacket…nothing quite “goes”.

5. Ema says:

To funny I actually had the same blouse – LOL!

6. JerseyPam says:

Why do birds suddenly appear, everytime you are near?
    Just like me, they long to be, close to you.

Good lord, I just made myself sick.

7. panda says:

until i looked at the faces i was totally thinking these were my parents. they once had the same hairstyles and so would’ve taken a picture like this… eesh.

8. powermuffin says:

What would this site do without studio photographers? This would have been a perfect picture, the couple look great in their dressy clothes and the cats are behaving. But then it becomes all “Blue Lagoon” with the driftwood.

I think the Chinese say it is bad luck to bring dead wood indoors. Now we see their point.

9. billy sencious says:

i really wanna know how they makes the 2 cats to look at the camera, don’t LOL this is very hard to take that kind of picture even if it is awkward as Hell

10. Oni says:

reminds me of the puffy shirt episode of Seinfeld…

11. Missy says:

Gosh, between this and the AFP site, trees can’t seem to get their fill on being CAMERA HOGS. Stupid trees and their camera hogginess! Get out of there tree! They’re all alike.

12. Rick D says:

At first I thought the guy’s necktie was the black cat’s tail. Then I thought perhaps it was an extra leg. The light finally dawned at last.

13. Chad says:

“Would you help me remove my lace laden blouse from this piece of wood? I think it might snag.”

14. Modine says:

The lace blouse must have been planned to camouflage any angry cat related wardrobe malfunction. I wonder what the driftwood looked like before the cats showed up.

15. Annie says:

Aww, I don’t think this is all that awkward…I mean the kitties ain’t too happy about the flash…and though the clothes are dated looking now, they’re really not that bad, either…I wonder what became of this couple? I kinda wish I could see an update photo…

• Wendy says:

Annie, we got married and had two beautiful children who are now 25 and 21. Unfortunately, after almost 17 years of marriage, we were divorced. But I look at this picture with many, many fond memories. I mean, who wouldn’t marry a guy who would have his picture taken in a studio sitting with driftwood with his girlfriend’s cats? This picture may have been one of the deciding points that told me “this is someone you want to keep around”. The cats are long gone. Wally (the black cat) lived to 21 years, and Ray (the orange tabby) lived to 17 years. Every Christmas, we put ornaments on the tree with their pictures on them. I think about them all the time. Thanks for the sweet post! W

16. MEB says:

I am one of those weirdos that likes blouses like this & thinks driftwood is a great prop, if used outdoors. :)