Snakecharmer

July 20th, 2010

Snakecharmer - Pets

She was getting bored of the same old bassinet.

(submitted by Martin)

103 Responses to “Snakecharmer”

1. Candysland56 says:

Geez – isn’t anyone noticing how tight that headband is? teehee

2. OMG says:

Oh Hell NO!!!! There is no way I would let that thing around my baby!!!!

3. bilby says:

Uhhhhh…..snakes, rats, ferrets, weasles, spiders, scorpions, baby, mean dogs, driveways, streets with cars. One of these things doesn’t belong.

4. cowgirl says:

Nobody puts baby in the corner (without going through the snake first)

5. JGWK says:

So in response to all the “dogs vs. kids” and “cars vs. kids” remarks, yes there is a higher amount of injuries and deaths involving cars and dogs where children are concerned. However, keep in mind that pretty much all of the parents I know would not intentionaly put their child in a car that had a higher chance of crashing, or let their child play with a dog that had a high potential of attacking. Now, all that being said, I am not saying the snake in the picture ever has or even would attack the baby, but it is the built-in-by-nature mental programing of the snake to feed on small mammals, i.e., a baby, dog, cat, rat, etc. So my point is, while the snake may be “harmless” it is nontheless a creature that needs to be respected for it’s potential actions and placing a baby in/on it is not the wisest of choices. Also keep in mind the ratio involved with how many vehicles are in operation everyday around the world and how many children are involved in accidents with them compared to how many snakes of this size and breed and capability are in the world with a baby sitting on them… nothing personal, but I’m not sure how that calculates into a rational comparison to justify a picture like this!

• CC says:

I believe the snake is less of a known risk to children because parents don’t ordinarily cradle their babies in pythons. That could be why we hear of cars and dogs being more dangerous to babies than snakes. We rarely hear of snake/baby encounters – because MOMS and DADS DON’T DO THIS.

6. Taryn says:

That is just scary.

That said chances are the snake had been recently fed and is in wonderful condition. Chances are the baby wasn’t in any danger, but I still wouldn’t take the chance.

My roommate 4-6 ft red tailed boa decided she wanted to lounge on the dining room table. Don’t ask me why but every time we put her back in the cage she got back out(screen was broken, we were waiting for a replacement) and laid on the dining room table.

I had a 7 lb cat that freely roamed the apartment. They were fine, the snake didn’t care about the cat and the cat didn’t care about the snake.

That said we wouldn’t allow Delilah around my son when they moved back in when he was 5 months old and Delilah was 6-8 ft long.

CPS came when some freak called them on us for the snake, our pet rats, Delilah refused to eat 2 of the feeder rats so they became pets and various other stuff. They took a picture of me holding the snake, took a picture of the rats and let us go on our merry way.

7. ScoutC says:

They couldn’t afford a “Boppy” pillow???

8. Yayakot says:

Never, never… Snake a baby!

9. Denny says:

These comments are all hiss-terical…its a dumb idea to have a baby-snake pic

10. Paul says:

So what’s the kid thinking – shoes, a bag, maybe luggage?

11. Sheila says:

I am with Lisa and Larry. A snake will not go after someone if it is recently feed. They are only eat at most once a week so if this is just a few hours later, definitely not a risk.

Now salmonella, that is something I did not know about until today.

I am the mother of a snake owner who buys the feeder rodents since the store is blocks from work. I would NEVER put a baby in this position and don’t think my son would ever fathom to do something like this but the hysteria that some of these comments are written with is laughable.

Internet comment threads can be a hoot to read with all the ranges of humanity out there that feel drawn to write on them. I usually just read but deciding to join in today.

12. Larry says:

I’m not necessarily uncomfortable for the baby’s safety; the snake (Burmese python) appears to be well-fed and calm; probably handled a lot. However, many snakes (even captive hatched) may carry Salmonella strains which can be extremely dangerous for children under two years old.

13. Mike says:

That’s not just any old snake, that’s a therapy snake–in fact it’s a seeing eye snake, the poor baby is blind.

14. Carolyn says:

Mum stood by with the machete just incase…

15. Itchy says:

Oh my goodness, that poor child. Those hair thingies are uncomfortable!

16. matt says:

“Trussssssssssssssst in me . . . Jussssssssssssssssssst in me”

17. Kelseywhite says:

Its markings are not of a ball python. I have a ball. I think it is a burmese python. In either case, it is a stupid thing to have your baby near a snake. ALL snakes CAN bite.

18. Jodester says:

This photo was in the papers here is Australia a few months back. The parents sent the photo to the baby’s grandfather – he freaked, but then calmed and then loved it. It’s not photoshopped (sorry Anna). Besides, like Mark said, cars and dogs kill more people than snake ever could.

• matt says:

yeah, but how many people have snakes as compared to cars and dogs?

• Missy says:

That’s like stating more people are killed by dogs than by tigers. Let’s add up how many each side has and then compare. Why not hand as many dog owners some constrictors and then we would tally up your uneducated “statistics”.

19. Frau Blucher says:

Time for Billy the exterminator!

20. ephercat says:

Oh, Dear God.

21. Brenda says:

unfortunately, “I’m being swallowed by a boa constrictor” has been in my head all day after seeing this.

22. Lisa says:

This is not as bad as all of you are making it seem,lol..seriously..from a snake owner myself,this IS a ball python,not venomous,and unlike venomous snakes,constrictors are not aggressive and do not attack just “because”it got it in it’s head to do so..that’s crazy…unless the baby smells like a rabbit or rat,the baby is in no danger really,especially if the snake has recently been fed..leave the snake alone,its not any more a killer than mankind.

• Missy says:

What shows have you been watching to make you believe the entire statement you just said?

• Tip Top says:

Here Here Lisa.
      Child is very safe….i still wouldnt do it…only good snake is a dead one.
      Almost every 2nd third or fourth house in queensland will have a snake of some sort around the property, not many snake bites really.

• meggietheemo says:

ikr overreacters:P

• Kris says:

That snake an also bite. Just like the one in Montana that took pics with patrons for years but one day he bite the face of a man right after a 2 yr old had it around her. Scared for life.

• Yzzy says:

Finally a clever reaction, thank you Lisa
      Mankind “natural” stupidity is quite obvious on this page, easier to insult someone who shows something you are afraid of than to actually face your primal fears and acknowledge it… pitiful.
      Leave nature in peace and and stop judging your neighbors about things you ignore the basics, try to be curious again, give difference a chance !

23. Bonnie says:

“still too “Young” to realize….

24. Kacy says:

I know, let’s dress teh baby up like a bunny, an put her with the bunny eater! Yeah, that’s the ticket!
    Anyway, be it a Python, Constrictor, Whatever – snakes can carry salmonella on their skin. All the baby has to do is get it on her hands and put them in her mouth. That can kill a baby!

25. senora_jennifer says:

Uhhhh…….NO!

26. Malcolm Taylor says:

“I’m sorry, Ma’am. The TSA allows only regulation baby seats on the plane!”

27. Anna says:

I am going to assume this is Photoshopped. And I will not listen to any other possibility. LALALALALALALALALALALALALA

28. Sarah says:

Really? This is just stupid.

29. Deb says:

“That’s funny, she was just here a minute ago when I took her picture. Hey, has anyone seen the baby?”

30. Dick Goesinu says:

Looks like a photoshoped pic!

31. Heather says:

Michelle, you are “frigging” wrong…it’s a Ball Python.

32. superpsyence says:

“Hey there Allister! Don’t you look all comfy today, all coiled up in a neat little circle! Hey – I’ve got an idea! Hey Honey! (shouting across the room.) Grab little Peaches and the camera! This will make a GREAT family picture!”

Umm….I don’t think so.

33. Brenda says:

That is terrifying. I guess I know what my nightmare will be about tonight.

34. Rubysarms says:

Rock a-bye baby in the snake’s coil. *shivers*

35. Cris Miller says:

Did they run out of bunnies and rats at the feed store??

• Suzie says:

LOL! Sick, but funny. Not that I’m not tempted to feed my children to a large cold blooded reptile somedays, but I wouldn’t leave proof like that lying around! ;)

36. Mandy says:

Seriously. What is wrong with people??

37. Michelle says:

Sicko people. The thing is a frigging Boa Constrictor. It would take nothing for that thing to squeeze that baby dead in seconds. Idiots!!! And I bet their reply is…..oh it would never hurt a thing….yeah…it’s a wild animal people…it’s called natural instincts! IDIOTS!!!

• Lola says:

Its actually a burmese python… not that it makes much difference. I honestly cant believe anyone would do this with a baby. Just when you think you have seen it all…..

• mark says:

the family dogs have killed more babys then any boa on record. cars kill over 35,000 people a year, with 20% of them being babys. but we still drive the cars, an still let dogs play with babys. overall boa snakes are just as safe as dogs.

• Austin says:

That is the worst argument that I have ever heard.. You can’t compare snake attack numbers to dog attack numbers or car deaths simply because there are about 1000 times more dog owners out there than there are snake owners. Also, almost everyone owns a car. You could bet that if almost everyone owned a 10 foot boa constrictor there would be a lot more boa problems than dog problems. These parents should be arrested…

• KJL says:

QFT…that was a really warped statistic!

• WJBJR says:

and most python owners don’t tempt them by placing babies on them

• Missy says:

Here. Here. Statistics alone cancel out the lameness of “mark’s” argument. People with cars and dogs certainly outweigh those with pythons. Someone certainly could use a math lesson or two.

• Dragonflye says:

After 4 years of working in the pet industry, there are just certain animals that do not make good pets. Reptiles should never be sold as pets…They are not interactive, friendly, responsive or even remotely trainable. Some are more docile than others, yes, but passivity towards “prey” should NOT be mistaken for a character trait.

38. Sandy says:

Apparently no regard for this child”s life whatsoever……………

39. Karen says:

This child should be taken away from his parents. They have to be totally crazy.

40. Emily says:

“And that’s why I turned out to be a serial killer, officer”

41. Claudia says:

Just when I think I’ve seen it all….. 10 to 1 the parents both have mullets!

42. Connie says:

Can any one say Child Protective Services?

43. Chad says:

Is this Steve Irwin’s baby?

44. amy a. newsome says:

Obviously a new candidate for Slytherin House.

45. Julie says:

That scares me! What kind of parent lets their kid be placed on a big snake? I don’t even care if it’s poisonous or not! That’s creepy!

• Peter says:

Doesn’t matter if it’s poisonous or not. It’s a constrictor. That SoB could kill a baby in seconds if it got it into its head to do so.

46. Hadley says:

Hopefully Mr. McSnakersons was gentle with baby.

47. Marie says:

Hmmm, comfy seat and child restraint coiled all in one

48. LainTexas says:

OMG, holy crap — this snake could suffocate the baby in 30 seconds flat! What on earth was going through the minds of the parents when they came up with this lame-brain idea????