History Of Obedience

July 22nd, 2010

History Of Obedience - Pets

As long as there have been awkward family portraits, there have been awkward family pet portraits.

(submitted by Dan)

29 Responses to “History Of Obedience”

1. Rumpy Pumpy says:

The dog is casting a shadow on the lady to the left, I can’t really tell if its photo shopped or not. It could be a stuffed dog as well, as in taxidermied, not tired that is. The dog is looking straight ahead, yet the ladies are looking to their left. Quite strange composition.

2. This is likely one of the finest posts that I’ve ever seen; it’s possible you’ll embrace some extra concepts in the same theme. I’m nonetheless waiting for some attention-grabbing thoughts from your side in your next post.

3. Victoria says:

I don’t think this is “awkward” at all. It’s fascinating….can’t stop looking at it and imagining what those women were like and what kind of lives they led. They must have loved that dog because it looks very happy!

4. Victoria says:

There but for the grace of Ponds go we…..This is how all women looked before the cosmetics industry took off. No makeup, no shaving, plucking, botox, contact lenses… Not bad-looking women but the dog is the prettiest one.

5. Sydney says:

I think the woman in the light dress is beautiful.

6. sook says:

This picture is so obviously fake. I don’t understand why anyone would even debate it.

7. mrsmarvel says:

Photographs with pets were not common, since photos by themselves were a luxury for many. This photo is from the early 1900s though, so there was a bit more disposable income and photograph sittings were less expensive. Also, by that point, shutter speeds were faster so the subject wouldn’t need to sit for an inordinate amount of time for a good likeness. The photo is probably digitally manipulated to reduce the yellowing that is so common in old photos, boost the contrast, it could make it look faked as JC accuses, but I think it’s real. Why would anyone fake it?

8. JC says:

faked. The dog would be blurry, given technology at the time. You can see where he has been photoshopped in. The B & W is slightly off on him as well. Lame.

• CJ says:

I must disagree JC, the shadows around the dog, in particular under the lady in the dark shirts arm and on the lady in the light shirt’s chest fall very well. They could have been shopped in but it would take a lot more effort that seems worth it for a funny photo site, also the bnw difference could be due to the fake that more of the fill light is on the dog’s coat, But nevermind you just carry on hatin on everyone and spoiling harmless good fun, i mean that’s what the internet community is all about right?

• Dan says:

I found this in a box of old photos I inherited. Although I don’t really want to admit these pair-o-hot babes are distant relatives, its not shopped. Only scanned.

• lame says:

I resent that.

• justme says:

JC Your superior attitude is lame (no offense, Lame).

I love this pic and all, but I also wondered how the dog was captured just like that because they had to sit still for a long period right?

It doesn’t make me think it was shopped, but it makes me wonder if this was a beloved family pet who’d had a trip to the taxidermist?

9. ek says:

This picture is really cool. I love really old pictures. Can you imagine the patience the photographer must have had!

10. Denny says:

I’m glad the photographer made the dog the focal point…takes your eyes off the handsome women surrounding it

11. LMR says:

To be admitted to the Union, Utah had to outlaw polygamy. . . and whatever it was that was going on here.

12. Missy says:

Man, and I thought my bangs were high in the 80s! Wowza! The dog is the best groomed. :)

13. MEB says:

That looks like an English Shepherd or possibly what many called a farm dog back then.

• Cindy says:

You’re right — this is more of an old-fashioned Collie (sometimes aka farm collie). Since the Collie was used to develop the English Shepherd, Australian Shepherd, Sheltie, and Border Collie the family resemblance is strong! :)

14. Grammar Nazi says:

Please change “their” to “there” in the caption. This is a good site that usually doesn’t make these kinds of errors.

15. chillycanadian says:

that border collie looks so happy to be part of that portrait

16. Ariel says:

Wow! Did the dog have to sit there forever with a smile on it’s face to make this picture work!? Cute, cute, cute!