Behind The Awkwardness: Big Bad Wolf

September 2nd, 2010

Behind The Awkwardness: Big Bad Wolf - Pets

I’m the awkward little girl in the front. The wolf was borrowed from the Bell Museum of Natural History and my mom thought it would make a nice subject for a Christmas card. She also included a poem about wolves in the woods in the card as well as this gem. Our dog, Dynamite, was terrified.”

(submitted by Kelly)

32 Responses to “Behind The Awkwardness: Big Bad Wolf”

1. LindyLouLondon says:

I love everything about this photo – the story behind it – the 70′s decor (how did your mum manage to get the wolf plinth to match so well with her carpet??) – the houseplant-on-the-stool (sooo stylish!!) – the look of barely contained panic on the dog’s face, the excitement on the boys face and sweet awkwardness of his sister (and their cool 70′s kid outfits)…. Just briliant. Reminds me so much of some of my childhood – I have some particularly cringe-making (though sadly not pet-related) photographs of my own from that era….. Thanks for making me laugh.

2. Mary says:

Dynamite looks like that dog in those gun photos. Poor dog.

3. Lori says:

Poor Dynamite! I have an English Shepherd, and I have seen that look on his face – priceless! He was probably wondering if he was next!

4. Cheryl says:

Dynamite looks scared sh*tless! Awww poor thing!

5. Doreen says:

OMG, the dogs expression is classic! You know he’s thinking “Dorothy were not in Kansas anymore”!!!!

6. Kirsten says:

Wait. The Bell Museum in Minneapolis? I REALLY hope so, because then I will surely look into aquiring a wolf for my next Christmas card, as long as I know that they rent them out.

7. Morbidiqua says:

Imagine if someone just brought out a stuffed humanoid and made you take photos with it… you’d be crapping yourself too. It would probably smell a little musty and you would swear those marble eyes were following you around the room. You would wonder if that was how you were going to end up. I would totally poop the floor. Dynamite was a good good dog for dealing with such a horror prop.

8. Champers says:

The Bell Museum lends things?? Or did you have a connection?

9. anna says:

Bell Museum… that means you’re from Minneapolis?

10. Tvannie says:

The poor dog is terrified. He looks like he’s trying to win a game of “Statue”. The wolf has an unfair advantage.

11. ScoutC says:

Poor Dynamite is thinking, “I’d better watch my step; look what happened to Ol’ Lobo here after he chewed up a shoe! Just act cool…. If only I could whistle!”

12. JerseyPam says:

I did not know you can borrow stuff from museums. I’m gonna borrow that Cro Magnon man at my local museum, it’d be great for any would-be burglars! Thanks, Kelly!

13. Melvis says:

That dog needs a hug!

14. senora_jennifer says:

Poor Dynamite!

15. rosemary says:

i’m sorry but what do wolves have to do with christmas….i must be missing something and yes the dog is priceless, cartoon like….i love that dog

16. Dee says:

Dog looks like “If that sucker moves an inch I’m oughta here, treat or no treat”

17. Birdie says:

This is just akward all around ! How do you ” borrow ” a stuffed wolf from a museum, and why would you want to ? Did your mom work for the zoo? ( cool if she did ) this photo’ s great !! i love the dogs expression! Maybe he’ being respectful to his ancestor… I can’t stop laughing when I look at him!

18. Lyn says:

The dog is hysterical! He’s in a terrified “sit, stay” and doing all he can not to bolt.

19. Tara says:

OMG the look on the dogs face is hilarious! I dont’ think I have ever seen a dog look scared!

20. 626 says:

Wait, that’s a girl in the front?

21. Lori says:

I love the way the dog is watching it out of the corner of his eye. The boy looks thrilled and probably wanted to keep it in his room. The little girl looks scared. Great photo.

22. carlie says:

This sucks for that Dog. As soon as I saw that the dog was anxious, I would have lost the wolf, if they wanted the dog in the pic or I would have taken the dog to another part of the house. That poor dog.

23. LeoLee says:

Nothing says “Merry Christmas” like some good taxidermy!

24. Harry says:

Who “borrows” a wolf to make a Christmas card?

Very strange.

25. CarrieM says:

Poor Dynamite! Can’t figure it out — it LOOKS like another dog, but its butt doesn’t smell quite right, and why doesn’t it move?

26. Oscar says:

I sympathise utterly with Dynamite here.