Day At The Beach

October 13th, 2010

Day At The Beach - Pets

This is not the kind of off-leash beach they were expecting.

(submitted by Stephanie)

60 Responses to “Day At The Beach”

1. C.T. says:

Dogs to former owners:
    News flash – THIS IS IT!

2. doglover says:

I see nothing wrong with this picture at all. I have been a vet tech for 5 years and have owned terriers my entire life I love the terrier breeds not only because they are so much fun but because they are trusting and spunky. These pups look just fine and if they were in any kind of distress they would be panting not one of them is. I have seen my fair share of over heated dogs and anxiety ridden dogs none of them look that way. This is not abuse at all; it is a fun day at the beach with pups!!!! At least these people have taken their pets out for a play day, where as most terrier owners and for that matter a large majority of dog owners fail to get their dogs out of the norm and into the abnormal where they can explore and get some well needed exercise and be a well balanced pet “family member”

3. Annie says:

Actually, this could be dangerous for the dogs if their lungs can’t expand (on their sides) due to the constriction of the sand. Given the fact that they couldn’t move & they’re buried past their lungs & necks, up to their heads, they probably are distressed a bit. Hopefully the owner did this quickly & dug them out quickly I guess.

4. Tim says:

You need to get a grip. If they had buried their kids like this, would you have called child protective services? Seriously, you PETA idiots need to come back down to earth and eat a damn steak.

• Shocked says:

What does PETA or being a vegetarian have anything to do with right and wrong. Your comment is absolutely silly and immature. I do NOT belong to Peta and I LOVE meat… but right is right and wrong is wrong. We’re not talking about feeding a hot chilli to a ferret and laughing at it wanting water. This is extremely dangerous not only for dogs but for people and children and MANY people have died at the beach doing this “fun” little tradition. Educate yourselves before calling other’s drama queens or telling people to chill out when there is a REAL reason to be pissed off.

• Matt says:

oh my lord, you weren’t even there–and chances are, you don’t even have terriers. people see photos and they jump to the worst conclusions, assuming the owner is an animal abuser and then feel obligated to “call PETA” (scroll up).

5. yallsodumbforreal says:

I buried my dog at the beach before. It’s cozy for them, plus they can easily get out if they got too hot and wanted to get out. To get them to do this most likely 4 people each dug a hole sat the dog in there and held it still while they started putting the sand back. after a couple scoops they chill out and are like ooo la la

So seriously chill all you peta drama queens it’s not like the dogs are chilling in quickset cement or jerking to get free.

6. AndrewT says:

“OK, now WHICH one of you buried the car keys WHERE?”

I tried to come up with something about the anchor but the English language failed me. Totally bizarre.

And those folks who think this is cruelty could never have owned a dog.

• D says:

I have owned many dogs in my life, I have one now, and I would never, and will never, bury one up to it’s neck in the sand. And for you Tim, yes, I have a dog and yes I love to have fun with her – playing fetch, going for walks, taking her on rides in the car, going to the dog park, letting her run on the beach, etc….but I doubt very seriously if she would think this would be “fun”. In fact, she’d probably freak out. These dogs don’t look relaxed, they look lathargic, except the third from left, who looks distressed… And as for digging themselves out if they weren’t comfortable, how could they move, being trapped up to their necks in sand? Not a cool pic, not funny, just very cruel and uncomfortable to look at.

7. Tim says:

You people need to relax. I took this pic (the 2 middle jack’s are mine, the outer my father-in-laws). Some of you really think this is cruel? You’re nuts! As soon as this picture was snapped the dogs all popped right out of the sand. Shows you political correctness and PETA have gone to far. Remember why most people have dogs in the 1st place? FUN! Remember what that is?

8. Jen says:

I think it’s a bit funny how riled up everyone is about this photo! I know the photographer and she’s a huge dog lover and animal advocate. Her dogs would have done this because they trust her and are well trained; thus, enjoying the attention. As a small child growing up may parents would bury me in the sand at the beach. As mentioned earlier, the sand is very cool and the weight is not restrictive. In fact, the gentle compression is relaxing. While I was not present at the time this photo was taken, I can assure you these pets are well loved and would have never been put at risk or made uncomfortable. Reeeelax!

9. Bri says:

For a site visited predominantly by animal lovers, I’m surprised this tasteless photo was posted.

10. LaughingC says:

Take this down please.

11. Reb says:

So. I read all the comments and what not. Lol. Some people need to seriously calm down. I mean really! Look at the picture again. Two of the dogs are SLEEPING. Seriously. If they were suffering, like from heat exhaustion, their mouths would be open and they’d be panting. And, if they really didn’t like it, dogs are champion diggers. Don’t you think they would have dug themselves out?

12. Mungoo says:

I think the dogs should jump out and fetch the sticks out of some of these commenters’ butts.

13. Jenn says:

Have any of you been buried in sand? It’s actually more COOL than lying in the sun, and very easy to get out of. It’s a great way to be able to take your dog out without leaving them locked up at home or (heaven forbid) leaving them in the heat of the day in your backyard. Dogs DIG holes to lie in when it gets hot out. DUH.

This is humane and calming for dogs… AND kudos to the owner who figured it out!!!

14. Carol says:

The dogs don’t appear agitated. Those ears would be pressed as flat as they could be. I think this is a game to them.

15. Mary B says:

Animal cruelty need to get involved here. just NOT funny!

16. Mary B says:

Hope the SPCA or equivalent gets onto these people!

17. Mr. Peepers says:

Nope, not laughing. Not even smiling at this one.

18. Anne says:

They don’t look distressed, but hopefully the four holes were dug at the same time and they emerged back out of them quickly.

19. roadgeek says:

Most dogs are happy to roll in scat, a sizable portion of those will even eat it. What’s a little sand? A great excuse to splash in the water and shake on the sunbathers of course! Stop trying to foist your repressed sensibilities on dogs.

20. Matt says:

This is a cute picture.

21. R. Michael Bortman says:

Maybe they are really just heads lying there, a warning from the Chihuahua drug cartel?

22. Tangle says:

This is evil, it isn’t funny! Those dogs would have had to be held down, they don’t look relaxed, they look scared! and being buried in sand up to your neck, would be different to having washing thrown on you. Sand is constricting, they wouldn’t be able to move under that, this photo is animal cruelty and should never have been put on this website

• stephanie says:

I took this picture and the dogs were not scared. If anything they were chill because of how cool the sand was. We put them in the holes long enough to take the photo and then pulled them out. If you know terriers, you would know that if it freaked them out they would have dug out in a heartbeat. They weren’t buried three feet deep.

23. Lori says:

Methinks a lot of people here don’t know much about terriers. I have two, and they would both love to be buried at the beach. :) My pom, on the other hand, would be PISSED.

24. BeQui says:

I don’t know what’s wrong with you guys, this is HILARIOUS! My dog would love something like this! Seriously! She likes to lay on the floor while I throw all the dirty laundry on her!

25. roadgeek says:

My body lies over the ocean….

Takes all kinda critters for Farmer Brown’s fritters. (Motel Hell)

26. Not the kind of image one wants to see in this site…

27. not funny says:

this is not funny period.

28. M.G. says:

In order to fetch the driftwood, you have to BE the driftwood!

29. JerseyPam says:

Disturbing…they look like survivors of a tsumani. Very awkward for the dogs.

30. Bodine says:

They’re lying in wait for the cats coming to use this giant sandbox.

31. Rattrap007 says:

now they know how the bones in the backyard feel

32. LKT says:

Must be Dog Beach. Barking mad, this picture! :)

33. Gretchen says:

This is terrible. Please take this photo down.

34. Danielle says:

I don’t like this one. It seems really cruel. The poor dogs are probably really hot under there, and uncomfortable :(

35. meri says:

They must have hypnotized those dogs before they buried them. They look so unnaturally relaxed!

36. Tammy says:

That’s messed up man!

37. Melvis says:

Not sure how I feel about this one. Do I laugh or call PETA?

38. senora_jennifer says:

I don’t even know what to say.

39. julieq says:

can you even *do* this? i mean, is this legal?

• ScoutC says:

I don’t know about legal but it can be harmful for the dogs if it was a very hot day. And who would want to have all that sand embedded in their dogs’ fur?

• Micahel says:

This is awful!!! I’m calling PETA! This is as upsetting as the rats that they ate on the first season of Survivor! I am devastated. You people are idiots! Get over it, I don’t think any dogs were harmed. Julieq and ScoutC, you guys need to drink a beer and lighten up

40. Carol says:

This is SO cruel:(

41. R. Michael Bortman says:

And then the tide came in.

42. Beckster says:

I wanna know how they were able to get the dogs to stay still long enough!

43. kathy says:

This just doe NOT seem right…

44. Snorbert says:

So, what time does the tide come in?