Saturday Night Special: Baby Alive

October 30th, 2010

“This is my daughter around age 2. She was a “Baby Alive” for Halloween. I had sayings printed on the box like: “I cry, I wet, I talk back”. She hated the box. Once we started trick or treating she was ok, but unless she was getting candy handed to her, she did not want to be in the box on at all!”

(Submitted by Shannon)

Tags: ,

63 Responses to “Saturday Night Special: Baby Alive”

1. Marlon says:

Air Holes ? I thought You Put In The Air Holes !

2. Cindy says:

This is adorable! I love the story mom wrote!

3. George says:

“Any baby doesn’t bring back their pop bottle spends a night in the box.”

4. Mak Olsen says:

Fantastic picture although she looks a little unsure of the situation. Hilarious post though, well done!

5. Elizabeth says:

I didn’t put in any time. My kids wore masks cut out from a magazine. And you know what they said?

“I can’t breathe! Cut the hole bigger! Bigger! Bigger!” Until basically it was just ears. Scout you will be glad to know that the only brain damage that occurred was due to over-consumption of HFCS sweets.

6. MQ says:

I find that duct tape usually stops them from getting out of the box.

7. j-lu says:

Great costume! Leave mom alone!!!!
    I ALWAYS had giant, uncomfortable costumes forced upon me. I lived and love the pictures in retrospect. It’s great when parents put in the time.

8. Kitten K. Boodle says:

Oh, gosh, I missed out on a good caption there.

“Mimi Marceau, daughter of the immortal mime Marcel, starting her training at an early age when her father put her in an actual box to teach her the classic mime routine of the glass box.”

9. Kitten K. Boodle says:

She looks like a mime trying to escape from a glass box, that’s why it’s awkward. The costume is very creative, but the little tyke is not at all on board with the idea.

10. feybabe says:

actually I don’t think this is all that awkward, its a cute costume idea, and cute pic. I guess the only potentially awkard about it is the fact that most 2 year olds aren’t yet completely sold on the idea of getting in a costume and walking around to strangers house for candy. But give them another 2 years and they will want to wear a costume for candy everyday. There has to be more awkward costume pics out there than this one.

11. Kari says:

This is hilarious. It needs to win some kind of prize!

12. Hayley says:

How is this awkward? This is genius! Such a creative costume.

13. Wait, I can’t buy this on eBay?

14. Uncuw Biww says:

she’s really cute even if the costume is a bit much!

15. zanie says:

LOVE IT!

16. Sandie says:

If you look closely you can see its a homemade box with the stickers either glued or taped on it….there is no plastic cover piece. It is a cute idea, at the age of 3 my son went dressed in a clear plastic garbage bag filled with small colored balloons as a bag of Jelly Beans…he was the same….as long as he was getting candy he was fine, but during the walk he was more interested in popping the balloons..LoL!

All in all it was an awesome homemade costume and idea!

17. Don says:

Shannon had enough of her daughter’s antics. She took the box off her and told her to think about what she had just done. And with that THE cliche of the 20th century was born.

18. carol says:

I can’t decide if it’s cute or creepy!

19. Mary says:

Seriously, my kind of parenting.

20. mandy says:

Baby Alive…. so much more popular than Baby Stillborn. Product development was way off on that one.

21. Valerie says:

“…she wouldn’t be ‘Baby Alive’ for very long…” – LOL!

22. Cathy says:

I LOVE it! She looks perfect! Isn’t it amazing what kids will endure for candy?!

23. Laurie Hester says:

That is AWESOME. Love it!

24. ScoutC says:

If that plastic panel was still on the front of the box, I can see why she didn’t want to be in there. Keep her in there long enough and she wouldn’t be “Baby Alive” for very long. Even if it was removed, age 2 is still pretty young to be inside a box costume; they like to be able to move and run freely.

• CarrieM says:

My thoughts exactly!

• Tammy says:

Um, I could be wrong, but I think this is a totally homemade box. As in, constructed solely for the purposes of this costume. So, there’s likely no plastic panel.

• Lighten UP! says:

I’m sure this little girl was just fine! LIGHTEN UP & live a little!

• Who says:

Seeing as baby alive is a doll that is about a foot tall it’s pretty obvious that this was a homemade box and not the actual box the doll came in. So I’m almost positive it didn’t have the plastic panel on there. You really need to lighten up and probably think before you post.

• ScoutC says:

Seeing as how I have to work with little kids who suffer brain damage, often from “funny pranks” their parents subject them to, I think I’m entitled to point out that putting a toddler in a box is not the brightest of ideas, esp if the mom is complaining that the kid did not like being in there. Sorry to ruin your day. I don’t think purposely irritating children is cute or funny. Just my opinion.

• karen says:

Oh for the love of pete. Lighten up!
          This kid is not going to get brain damage, or be harmed by a halloween costume.

If you actually read the the thing, or looked at the picture, you can tell mom has a good sense of humour. The box was homemade(saying she printed on back).

Its people like you that make americans look like pansy a**es.

• Still traumatized! says:

This kid may be not be harmed PHYSICALLY, but surely mentally. I’m STILL traumatized by some of the Halloween shanannigans I was put through! lol

• gm says:

Um…I find that purposely irritating children is both cute AND funny. Just sayin’…

• Me says:

Get a life. This child is not going to have brain damage because she wore a lightweight, paper based, funny costume with a great, big, open front that lets in plenty of air.

• Tronner says:

Did you even look the picture close before spouting your drama? The homemade box has no plastic. The kid’s right hand is actually coming out of the box and she is not in any way in danger of getting brain damaged.

• Who says:

LMBO. Over dramatic much? Stop being a Debbie Downer and lighten up!

• Vikkime says:

Did you not read where the sender said they had saying printed up to put on the box? Your whole statement made me chuckle because of how ridiculous it sounded.

25. Ana says:

That is so incredibly creepy. o.o

26. Susan says:

Nobody puts Baby in a box.

27. M C says:

Thus began Sally’s lifelong struggle with claustrophobia.

28. Binkymae says:

Shannon, she IS a little doll!