Behind The Awkwardness: In Your Face

February 28th, 2011

“Shortly after my nephew was born, a family friend offered to take some photos as a gift. The photographer managed to capture this moment of the baby peeing in my sister’s face.”

(submitted by Becca)

258 Responses to “Behind The Awkwardness: In Your Face”

1. Van says:

I can’t believe people are still debating the authenticity of this image. I thought I clarified this years ago.Again,I am the photographer.The pee is not hitting her face, but passing in front of and then over the arm. It was shot with electronic flash, hence the frozen pee. this was taken just as the baby began to pee. That’s probably why mom hasn’t reacted yet. This was truly an instant in time. I didn’t even realize I had captured the moment until I viewed the images later. I rarely use photoshop, I am old school when it comes to photography.
    I do find it funny when the so called “experts” try to explain why it is fake. It makes me realize just how pessimistic people have become so pessimistic about photography.People see something different or so unigue that they assume it must not be real.In my 42 years of photography I have seen some amazing images that I know to be real, as they were taken before the age of digital images.

• Nettie says:

I wouldn’t doubt the authenticity for a second! My baby brother (21 years younger) used to do this all the time. I remember swearing up and down that he could aim after his stream followed the clean clothes I was frantically trying to move to safety! Who could doubt this picture?

2. Lee says:

What a BLESSING. LOL.

——————————

What is wrong with some of you? People think EVERYTHING is Photoshopped now. They’re so busy looking for the fake, they forget to see what’s real. Sheesh.

3. Sarah says:

I am the mother in that photo, and i can tell all of you that this is a real photo. i know nothing about photoshop, and this photo was snapped right as he started to pee before i realized it was really happening. I know that the man taking the pictures has been a photographer for more than 30 years and knows what he’s doing. So, all of you haters out there who can’t appreciate a real authentic photo when you see one, I am sorry for you. But i know i have a family heirloom, something hilarious to show my beautiful son when he is older, so that’s really all that matters to me.

• Lacy says:

You tell em girl!!!!! People are always screaming ” Fake” to pictures that they think can’t be real, all I have to say to all of them is you were not there when the photo was taken, and as much as some of you THINK you know how to tell fake from real, you don’t. My brother is a Photographer, and he has captured some interesting moments on film, that most of you would scream ” Fake” at. You forget they have filters for their cameras. This is DEF not a fake picture!!!!

• Sandi says:

I think the pic is hilarious!! Thank you for sharing!!

• Jill says:

Had this happen so I know that this real. Too funny

4. Kelsey says:

This is not real and when you zoom in on the trail of pee you will see why. the droplets that are away from main stream which would be falling at that point have light streaks from the photo being taken. these show them falling up and not down.

• Jim says:

Easy there, miss Know-it-all. Its not a fake, just because you claim it is. It is a funny photo. And being a father, I know this kind of thing happens all the time.

• Tom says:

Anyone who uses the phrase “zoom in on the trail of pee” on an internet comment might want to rethink hire they spend their spare time. ;)

5. Christine says:

why isn’t he wearing a diaper?…

6. Cpt. Haddock says:

HAHAHAHA!!!!

7. Brittany says:

I just think its funny how everyone can say it is photoshop, but no one can state any facts why its fake… You all say you have software and photoshop experience then what exactly is it in the photo that isn’t real? And who really cares anyways? It does happen alot! I have a boy think I actually got pee in my mouth one time cause it happens so fast. But the picture is hilarious! That’s all that matters :-)

8. wow. says:

well that kid has some nice hair. thats all i gotta say…

9. Melissa says:

hilarious!
    hey, why argue over its authenticity? my question would be about the fast shutter speed on the camera for a portrait shot. but, meh, even setting aside the plain courtesy of taking the photographer’s word for it, this is far more likely to have happened than not. if this baby had been my son, i probably would have waited for the inevitable fountain before i would take a photo with him. lol.

10. Van Badeaux says:

The photo is not fake, and of that I am certain! How can I be so sure…because i took it!
    Ann got it right, the urine is angled toward the camera passing just in front of the face and over the front arm. Mom is surprised, hence the open mouth. For those of you who were so sure it was photoshopped, i can assure you i am not that good at photoshop, just lucky with the timing. we had turned down the AC to keep everyone comfortable, I think that may have triggered the waterworks. We cleaned everyone and everything up and kept shooting. We got some great shots without the peeing!

• novascottch says:

How do we know you’re not lying lol kidding, kidding. Despite the angle, it still does look photoshopped, but I suppose I believe you. Regardless, this picture is really cute. I’m just surprised she looks so calm. Then again, it takes a lot to catch a mom off guard :)

On a side note, I wish I had a picture of it, but once when I was at my sister’s house we were talking while she changed my nephew’s diaper, and while it was off he projectile-pooed and it hit the wall XD just reminded of that.

• Hmm says:

“Mom is surprised, hence the open mouth.” I thought it was the aunt in the picture??????

• Read it again says:

Nope. The Aunt is the one speaking, hence the description started with “Shortly after my NEPHEW was born”. Her sister is the child’s mother.

• Van Haggen says:

Liar! I took that picture!

11. Ann says:

Funny how everyone thinks the pee is fake… but, no one realizes that the pee is angled toward the camerman, even the college student that studied photography didn’t catch that… ahhh how quick we are to assume!!!! It’s a camera angle, the pee is not in the face that is why she still has her mouth open!

• michelle says:

Actually, and this is to every post dealing with this, it does look photoshopped and every savvy computer user can spot one. It is the very first thing I thought of when viewing this pic. Why is everyone talking about it? Because this is supposed to be awkward family photos which are real embarrassing funny photos ……the realness of which is what makes them funny. Why do others believe it is photoshopped? Well, blame the person who submitted the photo with the comment “….peed in my sisters face.” Kind of sets you up to dispute it when it is so obviously NOT showing pee in the face.
      Trust me when you get pee in the face, you are not still cooing and smiling!!

• FiachSidhe says:

Yeah and every Tom, Dick, and Harry can claim to be savvy. This wasn’t fake, and all the so called experts going on about “how you can tell” are full of it.

• van says:

You are very observant Ann. right on!

12. Carrie says:

I don’t think this is fake…look at the angle of pee (can’t believe I just typed that lol) but it’s not hitting her in the face, it’s coming towards the camera in an arc over her arm; you can see the drops.

13. Snufleupagus says:

Softly now everyone. a b c d e f g h i j k lmno …

14. mag says:

you can tell its fake for several reasons. Look at the pee on the girl’s nose. The color of the urine doesnt change despite it now being on someone’s face. Do an experiment and see how water changes when it hits a solid surface. You can tell the boy didnt just start pissing, because large amounts of drops are already falling down, therefor the girl would have had enough time to shut her mouth and look disgusted. I suck at photoshop and I could have done this image. I’m surprised AFP even posted it.

• tom says:

Well Mag, you don’t have a baby, I can tell you for sure babies always pee on you by surprise, and it happens so fast!

• Sasha says:

Mag, the pee isn’t on the girls face… I’m surprised you bothered commenting when you don’t even know what you’re talking about!

15. Michelle says:

I don’t think anyone would argue that this doesn’t happen. However, having been peed on in this fashion, I know that you do NOT keep your mouth open while it’s hitting you in the face. If the pee hadn’t made it to her face yet, I might be convinced. By the time it gets there, she would not still be making that face.

16. Lil' B's Mom says:

I have a 1 yr old boy and have been peed on in the face several times, and this picture looks FAKE and I do know about photochop and photography as I studied it in college.

17. William says:

I agree with everyone saying it’s photoshopped, not saying this isn’t possible, but why would she still have her mouth open? And she isn’t even responding to the fact that she’s being peed on, something that would have occurred even a fraction of a second after the peeing started.

18. Kim Roberts says:

I don’t know whether the photos fake or not but I do know that my nephew once peed in his own face when he was having his nappy changed! The peeing in her face is possible but that doesn’t answer whether the photo is real or not…

19. Amy says:

That baby has the hair of a news anchor.

• Kelly says:

I started reading the comments to see if anyone else had noticed/commented on how incredibly awesome that kid’s hair is. Instead they’re discussing pee angles. YOU WIN

20. Kirstin says:

My son never peed on me. Just saying. :-) Does look photoshopped though and I’ve been working with the software for many years.

21. droid says:

Photoshop.

22. Erin Lynn Young says:

I didn’t even notice the pee at first. I noticed that the baby has sideburns! Manly man!

23. Amanda says:

That is amazing lol! I have 6 little boys, and I have been peed on MANY times. Trust me, it isn’t fake haha.

24. Christy says:

I ALSO have a son and know that they can and will pee in your face at least once, but if you look at this picture near her face you can clearly see that it isn’t even really hitting her…If she were really getting piss in her face, don’t you think she would have held him upright by that point?

• Amanda says:

It was obviously taken JUST as he started peeing

• Kiki says:

so fake. yes baby boys pee in their parents face a lot. however, you can clearly tell how fake this picture is. the fact that this could easily happen is what makes you people think its a legit picture. get real.

25. Rachelle says:

After 3 boys, I KNOW that is not fake! Happenes at almost every diaper change if you’re not careful! And the baby’s face says it all…

26. Jimmer says:

Why post a fake photo? Maybe that makes it more awkward?

27. Niner says:

Urine alot of trouble, boy.

28. Mae says:

only the most fake looking photo ever.

• plowman says:

Based on your comment, it’s obvious you don’t know anything about photography, or Photoshop.

• cabezon says:

or baby boys

• sara says:

I never had that problem with my son, I think it’s because I didn’t circumcise, I heard that’s more of a problem when you have that done..

• Amanda says:

Circumcision has absolutely nothing to do with it

• Mindy Gould says:

If you think not being stayed has nothing to do with circumcision, you’ve never seen one. Having a skin shroud makes pee dribble not spray out. Like a hose with a open end versus a tiny tip. I have two intact boys and neither sprayed me though I’ve been peed on but more a flow never had to cover them for fear of spray…they can’t!

• Crystal says:

That’s a possible point, I never had my son cut either, and he never once sprayed on me like that. And thank goodness. :P

• Maria says:

Sorry, but I’ve been a newborn nursery nurse for 9 years and it can & does happen with uncircumcised boys. Believe me it doesn’t “dribble” or “flow” when they are peeing on the warmer right after delivery. It shoots out like a fountain. Foreskin may help stifle the spray, but they can still spray.

29. boardersl says:

This stuff is better than Afrin!

30. alans says:

R.Kelly approves of this photo.