The Great Outdoors

April 7th, 2011

The Great Outdoors - Behind The Awkwardness

“This is a photo of my sister camping in Hana, Hawaii. We lived there during our ‘awkward’ phase of 12-14. Family friends, who didn’t have children of their own, decided it would be a good idea to take 5 girls camping ages 9-13. Notice the lovely Christmas nightshirt my sister thought she should wear camping in July. She also is wearing the same braid that my mother put her hair in 4 days earlier. Jen was so filthy I think my mom burned her nightshirt when we got home.”

(submitted by Shauna)

42 Responses to “The Great Outdoors”

1. Kylie says:

I love camping SO much- but this photo is yet another reminder of why we have no family camping pictures. The cameras do NOT accompany us on our camping trips!!! :)
    Cute picture, though. This is exactly how I am while camping.

2. zipper says:

This isn’t what I would call Awkward, this is a typical kid.

3. Kid looks hungry. I hate camping when I’m hungry. then I look just like her. Except not as dirty.

4. Elaine says:

We camped in 2 tents at Yosemite, 2 adults in one tent, 2 adolescent boys in another.
    At 3AM, son #2 insisted someone escort him to the restroom, claiming ‘there’s a bear out there.’
    We ridiculed him mercilessly and told him to just go and let us sleep.
    Then we heard a loud growl about 6 octaves lower than anything we’d ever heard in our lives.
    He waited until daylight to venture out.
    We did, too.

5. Is this native Hawaiian wildlife?

6. Lisa says:

This picture makes me laugh. It looks to me like she swallowed a bug.

7. justme says:

Yep, my first thought even before reading the caption was…..oooh someone went camping!

8. Amber says:

Looks like she’s gonna blow chunks again.

9. meri says:

I love not camping.

10. Melistopher says:

This is why I don’t camp

11. willardolson says:

we all look this way after a great camping trip :)

12. Abe says:

13. Jen says:

It had rained for 3 days!! This was also after my sister threw up the whole way there!

• karlita says:

That explains the dirtiness, maybe. But what’s with the face? That’s better than all the other awkwardness put together.

• Sherri says:

So you’re the Jen in the picture! Excellent. Just a hilarious picture. I love the backstory that was provided!

14. ttime20073 says:

I thought she was like 68

15. ScoutC says:

This pic sums up why I detest camping. God wants us to have flush toilets, hot showers and inner spring mattresses or else he wouldn’t have given us the ability to invent them!

• LCN says:

I agree with you 100%! My idea of roughing it was staying in a cabin with no phone or TV. I could hear the wildlife roaming around outside and barely slept at all that night convince a bear was going to break in! LOL

• ScoutC says:

We didn’t take a real honeymoon as we had relatives from all over the country fly in for our wedding and we wanted to spend time with them before they went back. We took a short weekend trip to a lodge hubby’s aunt won a getaway weekend to in a raffle. As we pulled up, I spotted an outhouse. I refused to get out of the car until he went inside the cabin and confirmed that there was a flusher and shower. Later that night, we heard noises and he went out to see what it was. I made him leave the car keys with me before he went. The next day, after finding poop piles the size of footballs, we found out it was a rogue bull bison that staked out the area around our cabin in this as his territory. A housekeeper told us that the previous week he had held her “hostage” in the cabin for several hours, butting his head against the cabin and tearing off the porch railing with his horns! Take me back to the city!!!

16. AndrewT says:

She looks like she’s just eaten the other campers.

“Survivor: the Next Generation!”

17. treva says:

Looks to me like a kid just having a good time!

18. treva says:

Looks to me like a kid just having a god time!

19. Matt says:

I’m sorry for that Donna : )

20. Susannah says:

I think her sister will say, “Watch your back. Pay backs are double. Be afraid; be very afraid,” when she sees she’s on the website. lol

21. Jennifer says:

If you aren’t filthy when you’re camping, you aren’t doing it right ;)

22. Donna Stone says:

I had to do a double take. This looked just like me as a kid. It is uncanny. Gave me goose bumps.