Behind The Awkwardness: Facemask

July 26th, 2011

“This is a photo of my younger sister and I on Christmas in 1996. I’m the one with the triumphant look on my face holding the cards and mashing my hand in my sister’s face. I love this picture because it pretty much sums up the relationship I have with my sister. It also tells you a lot about my family… like the fact that my parents took a picture of the situation before pulling me off of my sister.”

(submitted by Heather)

83 Responses to “Behind The Awkwardness: Facemask”

1. kimmy says:

This is so weird, that looks EXACTLY like me when I was that age..and like something that would have occurred between my sister and I. My mom and sister were trying to figure out who sent in a picture of us. Glad that I solved the mystery and now know that someone didn’t secretly submit a picture of me.

2. Jellie says:

So… is this chick your sister? You don’t seem to mention it at all in your caption.

3. diane says:

nellie olsen strikes again! lol

4. Jordyn says:

Holllly crap! I thought I was the only one that thought she looked exactly like Emma Watson! At first I thought it was her.

5. Greg says:

They were so poor, even in 1996, they couldn’t afford color for Christmas!

6. Tree SB says:

Nothing funny about sibling bullying.

7. Shannon says:

10 points to gryffindor!

8. Janey says:

“…a photo of my younger sister and ME…”

ME, not I. Please.

9. Queen says:

Wow, some people really do have their knickers in a twist! No wonder kids are such wimps these days! I’m sure the little one is fine. Perhaps the uptight ones need to do some research-do you know that sibling rough house teaches children lots of different skills that they use into adulthood? Pull you knickers out ya bum haters! lmao

• Queen says:

and for those who are all uptight because she is a toddler-she looks about the same age as my toddler (around 18-22 months) and believe me, she knows how to fight back AND how to wind her brother up!

10. Heather says:

haha this is my pic and for those of you who are “worried” let me answer the following questions:
    Yes she lived.
    Yes she deserved it.
    & yes we still fight like this.
    We actually find this picture hilarious and we plan on reenacting it this Christmas :]

• NannaLee says:

THAT would be awkward…

• Queen says:

PLease post that one too!

• Skeemer118 says:

DO IT! :D

• jaclyn says:

I’m glad to read this. It actually does make it funnier now. Was she posing for this or was she fighting back?

• Heather C says:

From one Heather to another, well done!
      Little sisters can be horrible beasts, I’ve got one myself.
      We’re also grown and still fight like mad. Less physical, since we’ve both got kids who are like little sponges, but unkind words are still hissed to one another. ;)

• Talia says:

I have a little sister too and we’ve got a photo of her after she wrestled me to the ground and pinned me there.

Admittedly it was for a massive hug (she was about 18 months at the time so strangulation was involved) and it is one of my face pics of us (I must find it)

We still fight too, even in public. We’ll be walking along and for no reason she’ll push me into a pole or I’ll get her in a headlock and give her a noogie, we fought heaps as kids but she’s my best friend and I couldn’t imagine life without her, kids these days need to HTFU and so do their parents

11. jamie says:

Poor little sister she probably didn Not have that coming I was the youngest and my brothers nor did my sister treat me that way. Besides she is a defenceless hold look how small she is. I know for a face if any of my kids did that to one another they would get their ass whooped. That is just mean

• Goodness, don’t get your knickers in a twist!
      I was the youngest child and the youngest grandchild. I grew up adored and loved — but I also grew up being thrown into pools, tickled until I cried, and duct-taped to chairs. The boys were not bullies at all; that’s just how kids learn survival skills. I learned very quickly that because I was younger, smaller, and weaker, I had to 1) look out for trouble, 2) get out of the way, and 3) GET EVEN!!!!!! Ah, ha!
      And all of us turned out just fine.
      Really, there’s no way to know what happened right after this shot. Baby sis may have chomped big sis’s hand and gotten even immediately.
      As the youngest kid who frequently was like the bottom child in this picture, I find this hilarious.

• justme says:

geeze louise there is so much wrong with your comment I can’t really even read it…..are you serious with this or are you a troll?

• jaclyn says:

You must not have kids. Kids are mean to one another, part of life. That being said, this is kind of sad.

12. jaclyn says:

So at first I giggled and then I became very sad! The younger girl looks like a toddler.

• NannaLee says:

It makes me sad too, when I read the caption on the bottom. it makes me think about my sisters and how we never got along and still don’t. What a waste….50 years later…

• Jessi says:

My brother was just a “toddler” when he intentionally hit me in the knee with a baseball bat. It’s not like the child is an infant.

13. WHtim says:

There’s something very Nellie Oleson-ish about this.

14. SAL says:

I was the second child too so I can relate to being squashed. I hope you weren’t a bully in school either.

15. Noneya says:

A multitasker at such a young age. Your parents much be proud.

16. peg says:

Face palm, Big Sis style :-)

• Jenny says:

Lol. My Sis always did stuff like this to me!! …….. But it’s safe to say I probaly had it coming…..;)

17. adfogg says:

I just hope you and your sister eventually become friends. You seem a bit mean to me, but I was the second child….

18. Linda says:

This is where the phrase, “Talk to the hand,” originated.

19. L1558 says:

younger siblings…they have it coming!

20. Nicole says:

Some kids will do anything to be an only child…

21. All you people thinking of Emma Watson must be young! MY first thought was “It’s Cindy Brady!”

22. Skeemer118 says:

Gotta love that smirk! WTG older sis!

23. Arden says:

Your sister looks like Emma Watson

24. Bella says:

Triumphant and satisfied. She must have really been asking for it. Older sisters everywhere salute you!

• corinne says:

What a horrible thing to say. That’s a defenseless toddler she’s holding down.

• Mifty says:

Calm down, I’m pretty sure the kid sister lived.

As a little sister myself — and a middle child to boot — I think this is hilarious.

• justme says:

Wow Corinne, congrats, I’ve never rolled my eyes so far that I could see my hairline but your comment motivated me to do it.

• Skeemer118 says:

Defenseless? The parents were obviously standing right there. Get over it, this is HILARIOUS! (I’m the last child too)

• Tucson says:

My son has two older sisters- 10 & 6. He just turned 2. But if they bothered him like that he could easily stick up for himself.

• Aileen says:

Oh please. What, do you clutch your pearls at everything that isn’t tied in a pretty bow and gently touched? It’s a great picture, a great moment and the lack of the sense of humour and ‘helicopter parenting’ is more frightening then if an elephant was sitting on that kid.

Lighten up!

25. Golly Gee says:

Puts a whole new spin on ‘Please pass the potatoes,’ at Thanksgiving.

26. Snarky McSnarkerson says:

Why you look like a young Emma Watson!