Motor Mouth

September 19th, 2011

Motor Mouth - Behind The Awkwardness

“I used to be a chatter box when I was younger & my mom had this sweat shirt screen printed for me during a winter vacation. As you can imagine, I was thrilled about it.”

(submitted by Savannah)

49 Responses to “Motor Mouth”

1. Brett says:

I love Awkward Family Photos but sometimes they just post a photo that arouses empathy vs a grin. I feel bad that anyone’s parent went to the trouble to do that. And a Mom? Yikes.

If I can think back to another century when I was a girl that age, I’m pretty sure it would take a lot less than that to hurt my feelings. Even a post-it would suck

Sending you a hug across time for this one, kiddo.

2. Cheryl says:

So funny! This could have been me! Dad would offer me a penny a mile to be quiet when we drove cross-country (3,000 miles). I never made any money. Used to hang on the bucket seats between Mom and Dad and chat the drive away. This photo really cracks me up!

3. Jenleahlynn says:

I have a preteen who talks my ear of but, if I don t listen to her talk about nothing, someday I will miss it when she needs to talk about something

4. graphicartist2k5 says:

that’s PRECISELY the shirt that every single feminist needs to wear!

5. Nicki says:

I can assure you this wasn’t photo shopped. My mom bought me the exact same shirt while we were shopping in Park City, UT. It was a t-shirt making shop where they had a bunch of iron-ons and you picked the shirt you wanted it put on. Mine was a white t-shirt, not a sweatshirt, but they EXACT same iron-on and colors.

6. Brynn P. says:

My mother bought me the same shirt. Im now almost 26, expecting mine & my husbands first child (a daughter)…at any opportunity; in public or at home…when I begin to talk, she [my mother] will use the most obnoxious voice and scream that im talking and I cant shut up….it never leaves!!! I love my mom though

7. en says:

I’m getting one of these made for my daughter tomorrow.

8. Modine says:

The photoshop claims are so tiresome. I am sure this is real. What I find sad is the size of the sweathshirt. Mom had no hope this girl was ever going to outgrow the chattiness, and the sweatshirt would follow her through life.

• Lemur says:

Are you kidding me? In the mid-90′s that sweatshirt was the perfect size.

• buffy says:

All she lacks is a pair of turquoise-colored leggings to complete the outfit.

• Lulu says:

In the ’80s, leggings would not have been necessary. I had a sweatshirt this size in 3rd grade and a pair of hot pink TIGHTS made it the coolest “dress” ever.
          Top with Reebok hi-tops and jelly or bangle bracelets, and you have yourself one rad outfit.

• Ann says:

Ugh, so true about the photoshop claims. I think this is real, too. People think they’re so clever by saying that something has been photoshopped, but if they go through all the trouble to try to “prove” that it’s been photoshopped then they just have too much time on their hands and need to get a real hobby.

9. Wausau says:

Tsk, tsk, tsk!
    Who cares if it’s ‘shopped. It still makes for a funny picture. I’m NOT sorry if it did happen but makes for a nice story to tel your kids.

10. chris f says:

Judging by the austere surroundings, I assume you vacationed in East Berlin.
    As for the size of the sweatshirt, I’ll bet your mom had to go with the large to get the entire transfer to fit. Very funny:)

• Katie says:

Haha actually it was good old Gatlinburg TN. And if I remember correctly that was the only size the shop had so it was huge on me!

11. gina says:

Oh… call me mean if you like but I would absolutlely buy this shirt for my daughter. I love her more than anything but I think that little creature most breathe through her skin because she certainly does not stop talking long enough to inhale.She’s not ADHD… she just likes the sound of her own voice.

• PeppyPilotGirl says:

You mean it’s not just my daughter that’s that way? I have seen a shirt like this in catalogs and have resisted it… so far.

• Jules says:

We’ve got one of those, too… I sometimes remind her that just because a thought crosses her brain, does not *necessarily* mean it needs to come out of her mouth… but apparently she can’t hear me over her own voice. LOL ;)

• It's me! Dee!! says:

Ladies, thank-you!!! I now know… I AM NOT ALONE!!!
        I have one too, God bless her little socks off!

• Ann says:

My cousin used to be a chatterbox until one day my aunt told her that in life, you’re only allowed a certain amount of words, and if she used them all up she wouldn’t be able to talk ever again! Hahahaha!!!

• Lulu says:

This is my STEPSON to a T!!! He is never, ever quiet even when I beg. Do they make this shirt in boys’ sizes?

12. BeckyLynn562 says:

why didn’t mom at least get the right size??? seems like if your going to get a sweater printed for your daughter, you might as well get it in her size, not a mens XL.

13. Katie says:

So this is me in the photo. I wasn’t traumatized or shunned I simply hated having my picture taken. And it certainly isn’t shopped. I scanned it in with my crappy scanner/printer. I’m assuming the reason that “UP” is cut off at the bottom is because it was one of those places where the design comes on a sheet of paper and a huge iron presses it on. I still have the sweat shirt (and probably those great boots too). And wow taking the time to crop & rotate.. I mean really. The picture is taped to my fridge it’s fo sho real haters. :)

14. Seriously says:

At first when I saw this, I got this really bad feeling in my stomach. As a child, I was mercilessly mocked for being a ‘chatterbox’ – of course ADHD was a diagnosis back then AND if you were a girl it was even worse to be talkative. Little girls weren’t supposed to be that way. I was shamed in so many ways at school and elsewhere. The ONLY place I wasn’t shamed was at home. So, when I saw this photo, I felt so sorry for this little girl… if even her MOTHER would mock her this way. Smacked of those “sentences” that judges give teens where they have to wear shirts saying “I’m not allowed in this mall becaue I’m a shoplifter.”

I realize that my post probably takes this image waaayyyyy too seriously, but if you’ve walked in those shoes as a little girl, you might understand how an image like this can feel like a stomach punch. BUT now to know that someone would photoshop this on themselves (who knows if “Savannah” is really the little girl in the pic), doesn’t seem “healthy” to say the least.

15. Jeff says:

I call “shopped” as well. Look at the bottom part of “up” – it’s chopped off slightly at the bottom. Well, it’d still make a nice sweatshirt.

16. Lady Anne says:

I saw a shirt similar to that one – “I’m on the phone and can’t stop talking”. I was going to tackle the person wearing it and take it by force!

17. party says:

Coulda been me. Now 4 out of 5 of my kids are the same way. Payback…

18. sus says:

Certainly is “Shopped”! The pixels and pattern are different…. I just double checked it myself!

19. Babs says:

And it looks like she expected you to wear if for many years to come.

20. liz says:

I had a t-shirt like that at about that age myself. But I loved it, I did my best to make that shirt proud :)

21. Valarie says:

I’m pretty sure I have a picture of me almost identical to that, only my shirt was a T-shirt :)

22. mark says:

this would be a funny shirt if itwasn’t ‘shopped.

• Rhoda Penmark says:

Wow, quick on the draw! That’s got to be a ‘shop troll record!

• atinymouse says:

Actually, there’s a good chance this is shopped… You can find that exact design all over google images, but more importantly, it overlays that image almost identically. All I had to do was resize and rotate it and 98% of the image lined up exactly… the only pert that didn’t was the far right side, which could be easily warped since its just a small part… Odd that the sweatshirt which is so big and baggy on the girl displays the logo without really warping it at all, don’t you think?

• MomofBoys says:

“Shope Troll Record” lol

• Sarah says:

Don’t you think if they were going to ” ‘shop” something, in order to get attention on a website, they would do something a little more shocking?