Bun In The Oven

September 23rd, 2011

A look back at a time before child safety locks.

(submitted by April)

• In Babies138 Comments »

138 Responses to “Bun In The Oven”

1. Talia says:

Baby… The other other white meat

Baby… It’s what’s for dinner!!

2. Miss Obnoxious says:

Husband: “Honey, what’s for dinner?”

Wife: “I don’t know, look and see if there’s anything in the oven.”

Husband: “Oh darling, I found Junior! So THAT’S where he hides when he goes missing all the time!”

ROFL this is hilarious. :D

3. Angela says:

HA! That is too funny, because it is true!! You know that was back when moms could smoke and drink while pregnant…and in the hospital, and before car seats!

4. Mike says:

And if it’s a girl, we’re naming her Sylvia.

5. Robin says:

I believe the reason this photo is so upsetting to many is because the joke is a bit dark and it involves a child. Everyone logically knows this woman wouldn’t hurt her child; however, it is a reminder that children have actually been killed this way. Therefore, people don’t find it funny. She was trying to be funny but it back-fired on her because she wasn’t thinking clearly about what it implies in real life and, in cyberspace, people can’t get a sense of her personality and light-heartedness. Personally, I wouldn’t have posted such a joke for public display because I do find it in poor taste. However, I feel that she didn’t mean it that way and I feel a little sorry for her because I’m betting that she’s a better mom than many who are attacking her.

• Dawn says:

First reaction, “Oh my goodness” but neutral. I think people forget that standards in people’s thinking change with each generation. Nowadays, if someone was caught with their child in the oven like above they would be reported as abusing their child. It most likely wasn’t the case when this picture was taken. A simple spanking on the rear can be blown out of proportion and the child be taken away from the parent(s). Another thing, who said she put the child in there? Kids that age love to explore and have no understanding as to what can harm them. Even a simple “Let’s hide in the closet” can seem harmless but can cause a parent to panic….. Just my 2 cents. :)

• Angel says:

Um, Shoes, jeans, stove, linoleum … this pic was taken in the ’70′s or very early 80′s people …

6. photo chick says:

zero.humor.here.
    i hate this picture. it’s not AWkWarD–it’s just in bad taste.

7. Kendall says:

Case 39 closed.

8. drewsmom says:

before child safety locks? and parental common sense? they just start selling that did they?

9. chris f says:

Simmer down. This poor woman has taken enough heat. To some degree, your ideas are half-baked. It’s time to stop grilling her. That really gets my blood boiling. People love to cook up a big story about nothing. This picture is a gas. I get a warm feeling just looking at it.

• MrsCuoco says:

Gahahahahahaha!!!! WIN.

• Broski says:

Dear Chris,

I will be sending you a bill for the keyboard I had to replace. Im a gamer so it was a nice, well build keyboard designed for MMO’s. About 130$. Reason for bill, while reading the the comments I spit coffee on the keyboard, fell out of my chair, and as I was falling knock the keyboard to the floor.

Still trying to breath.

10. jersygrl says:

Geez…people need to lighten up.

11. noodengr says:

there was a cartoon that had a pregnant woman at the door answering a Census guy’s question.
    She says ” we have 3 kids and one in the oven” there are 3 kids playing and one kid
    looking out of the oven window.
    That was funny and this pic is the same line of humor
    worth a chuckle on a stressful blah day. Thanks

12. Lynn says:

Honey? I found the baby!

13. CarrieM says:

The real crime here is that linoleum.

14. LCN says:

The original concept for “Baby Back Ribs”. It obviously was not as well accepted as the recipe we know today.

15. Bartlett says:

350* and 20 minutes per pound. Serves 6-8.

16. Jamie says:

I’ve got three little boys, aged 3m to 6y, and I would not hazard a guess at the age of that baby.

My middle son loves to get into the oven. Constantly. It’s a big source of stress. But it kinda makes me look at the picture and go, “Baby in the oven. Yep.” I’m unwilling to accept that there’s something morally wrong with a baby in the oven because there is NO way to keep my little … darling *treasure* from opening the oven door all. the. time. I tell him “No.” I tell him “Hot.” We blow on things to show “Hot.” I tell him that only Mama does, and he PUTS ON AN OVEN MITT.

Seriously, people. Some kids are inordinately difficult to keep alive and whole once they become mobile. The reward for your heroic efforts will be awesome photo ops.

17. David says:

Do babies have carbs?

18. Wanda says:

People need to learn that what was ok 20-30-40-50 years ago, is not ok today. But it still did happen. Look at the tile on the floor, this is about 30 years old. I grew up not wearing a helmet when I rode my bike or even wearing a seat belt. I am still here and no worse for wear. Thankful I grew up in those times where it was funny to see a kid in the oven or in the washing machine or dryer. We even use to hide in the freezer, they didn’t have locks on them back then either. GET OVER IT!

I LOVE THIS! Great pic and thanks for sharing!

• AndrewT says:

And why would this not be OK to do today? There was clearly not the slightest chance of the baby being harmed.

• Debra says:

You are so right! When I grew up (in the 50′s and 60′s) I cannot tell you how often my mom held me on her lap in the passenger seat…and no seat belts. We used to hide in the freezer too, and played under the steetlights after dark. Different times…
      This was cute and funny, thanks!

19. rigidthree says:

I prefer them pan fried…

20. Newton says:

Honey, I’m home! What’s for dinner?

21. eve says:

Child safety locks have nothing to do with it. That kid is too little to get in the oven on its own. Someone put it there. Hilarious! NOT. And when the kid is old enough and big enough to crawl into the oven on its own will they laugh then when they’re burned?

• justme says:

With just an ounce of communication this child would easily know when it’s older that getting in the oven will lead to getting burned. Most children by age 2 or 2 1/2 know what HOT is and not to touch the stove.

Furthermore, you do know KNOW for a fact how mobile this child was, how low the spring on the oven door went or any other details surrounding this picture, so stop assuming.

22. Snowrider says:

It kind of reminds me of a Gary Larson comic. The humor is in the fact that there’s no cymbol clash. You can look at the picture of a baby in the oven, go away for a while…come back….and yep, there’s that baby, still in the oven.

23. Sarah says:

I’m usually as light-hearted as the next person, but this picture just scares me. All I can think of is what if they didn’t realize she was in there when they preheated the oven? *shudders*

• AndrewT says:

For heaven’s sake. They CLEARLY put the kid in there for a joke photo. That child could never have got in there by itself, and there was never the slightest risk to it.

Why do people go so far out of their way to look for reasons to be appalled? Isn’t there enough real bad stuff around to be concerned with?

24. jillian says:

Someone who knows the backstory needs to end this debate. Either this is staged, which is creepy and doesnt make sense. Or, the oven was in fact being cleaned (which looks like it may have been the case) and the door was left open allowing the possibility for the baby to crawl in. In which case I would have taken a pic of the crazy predicament, too! But, how was the baking rack not knocked over then? Hmm, someone clear this up! Im done with wondering!

25. Rrrhhn says:

Y’know, you can put a baby in the oven, but that’n don’t make it a biscuit.

26. Harry says:

The picture is disturbing. It’s not cute or funny or adorable. If you saw this by itself in a photo album, you’d really wonder about the sanity of the person who took it.

Let’s put a baby in the oven and then take a picture. Right.