Behind The Awkwardness: Three Little Pigs

November 17th, 2011

“My loving mother (the one on the sled) thought it would be a wonderful photo opportunity to have ballerina pig costumes hand-made for us all. My sister Adellie (in front) and I were firmly instructed to look as though we were having a jolly good time as we pretended to push our Mommy through the snow. I recall crying a lot during this photo-shoot. And the answer is yes, we were forced to wear these on Halloween and yes, it was on our Christmas card that year.”

(submitted by Ava)

46 Responses to “Behind The Awkwardness: Three Little Pigs”

1. Lexann says:

I was just wondering how many years of therapy did these girls have to have after this photo shoot & subsequent mailing of this picture to family & friends for Christmas. I’m embarrassed for them, just looking at this.

2. Danika says:

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHA

3. Joel says:

Did anyone else immediately think of “National Lampoon’s European Vacation” when they saw this? Because I sure did.

4. SilverTabby says:

Is that you Jody?

5. David M. Ankenbauer says:

Did they win the vacation to Europe?

6. Jo says:

I’m also confused about the heads. The costume already has a pig face, so the way it’s worn it’s like they have two faces. Would have been better to have them wearing a pig nose on top of their own nose and forget about having a pig face on the top of the costume.

7. Anne says:

Gotta love your Mom-you are all precious.

8. Robyn says:

Oh, the humanity!

9. Lizzie says:

The only thing I can think to say is, you poor, poor, little things! Yikes. I really don’t understand why mothers do this sort of thing either. Another thing I don’t get (not to insult anyone here if they’ve done this before) is making your kids wear matching dresses/outfits. When we were little my mom LOVED sewing matching dresses (especially Christmas dresses!) for me and my sister. She convinced us that it would be fun to be twins. lol. Now that I’m older I have no idea why we had to wear the same exact dress.

• It's me! Dee!!! says:

Yes Lizzie, I never got that either? What is WITH that????

• ali says:

oh god, my grandma used to do that with my sister and I, even though we’re two years apart and i have dark hair and she has lt. brown hair. Sometmes she’d buy identical outfits, but it diff. colors.
        Some ppl thought we were twins!

• just sayin' says:

There were five girls in my family and Mom made identical dresses for all of us! It’s a wonder my brother didn’t have to dress like us.

• Kit says:

I got you all beat. My mom sewed easter dresses for me and my six cousins. Seven matching dresses. (although mine and the youngest cousins were a diffrent pattern since I was the oldest and too big for the majority pattern, and the baby was too small. But all in the same strawberry print cotton.) She even did strawberry print pocket squares for the boys in their easter suits (although my little cousin was in a western shirt and jeans and got confused so he wore his as a neck bandanna.)

Weirdly we LOVED it. I was a bit disappointed that my dress wasn’t exactly the same, but I got over it quick and we had so much fun that easter. The picture of us all crowded against the brick wall of our house is precious. I wish I knew where it was.

• Lemur says:

Matching dresses means she only had to buy the pattern once.

10. LV says:

At least the photographer had a story to tell when he got home.. . “Honey, you’re never gonna believe this, but I had to take pictures of ballerina pigs today!”

11. Malcolm says:

I don’t get it. How does a pig tie into CHristmas… Weird and truly awkward.

12. Sarah says:

Because of course the most favorite past-time of piggy ballerinas is frolicking in the snow. It makes perfect sense to me.

13. Carol says:

This one goes right past awkward and straight to ridiculous. Pigs? Ballerina pigs? Ballerina pigs playing with a sled? Ballerina pigs playing with a sled and not even doing ballet? Pointless. Ridiculous.

14. MissT says:

That’ll do.

15. Rufus T. Firefly says:

It is my job as the father in my own household to never let something like the above to happen.

Ever.

16. ali says:

my first thought was of the this little piggies chant

17. Penny Diamond says:

And does the little one have a poo-tu on ?

18. Amy says:

I had a Halloween costume that had to have been made from the same pattern when I was in first grade. I won the costume contest at school, back “in the day” before they told us we couldn’t have costume parties at school any more. Talk about awkward, as a teacher I am now, calling the party a “fall party” everyone one dancing around the idea that it’s really a Halloween party. And yes-the pun of dancing was intended.

19. noneya says:

Granted, it was a bizarre idea, but you all do look adorable.

20. Cinnie says:

I will NEVER understand why parents (usually mothers) do this. At what point does a woman lose her grip on reality to such an extent that forcing her reluctant offspring to dress as BALLERINA PIGS seems like a great idea? Why pigs? Why BALLERINA pigs? If they don’t want to do it, why force them? Why not try something that doesn’t make your children weep in despair?

So many questions. So few answers.

• kelly says:

There was a country music TV show called “Hee Haw” which featured a popular cartoon “Ballerina Pig” character. She would never say anything, just dance across the screen at the end of a comedy skit. The humor was in the contrast of a farm animal which lays in mud doing something as graceful and highbrow as ballet.

• Jason says:

Why ballerina pigs? Because they’re performing in “Swine Lake,” of course!

21. Candice says:

I still don’t understand, why ballerina pigs? We’re tap-dancing cows too ridiculous?

22. Alice says:

Are these cousins of the pink bunny in Christmas Story?

23. CarrieM says:

Because pigs and sleds in snow are such a natural combination.

24. Bear says:

So many things, where to start? Pigs in tutus. Why would pigs be sledding? Why the teddy bear in the corner?

25. Sarah says:

I am, quite frankly, baffled by this photo. Why would any mother want to dress as a ballerina pig? What do pigs have to do with winter?..or ballet for that matter? Again, simply baffled.

26. Jack says:

Right click, Save Image As…

27. Evelyn says:

I thought of the Griswold European Vacation movie when I saw this. You are all cute pigs though!!