Pit Stop

February 27th, 2012

Pit Stop - Behind The Awkwardness

“Every summer, we drove from Southern California to Iowa. Every summer, the car broke down.”

(submitted by Ginger)

46 Responses to “Pit Stop”

1. girl in desert says:

We also made a cross country trip (CA-NY) the summer of ’76. Borrowed grandpa’s truck camper. No AC, broke down in death valley. only diversion was a travel song book. We left the wood sided station wagon home. We lost my 4 year old brother at the grand canyon, survived a tornado in S. Dakota & got caught in a swarm of biting bugs in Missouri. Its only now I realize how adventurous my parents were. My kids complain if the have a layover on vacation.

2. Ralphie says:

Ohhh Fuuuudddgggeee…

3. Marlon says:

NASCAR Pit Crew? Okay Dad If You Say So.

4. Patrick says:

This is the first picture of the Tebow family vacations. Notice little Timmy there inthe bottom left… “Dear God please use your magical powers to make this car run on my hopes and dreams… AMEN”

5. Maggie says:

Sad!! It doesn’t even look like you made it out of California!

• Susie says:

It sure takes me back. Imagine…stuck with NO cell phone…and did they even have auto clubs then? how quickly time moves on and leaves unaware of the changes.

6. Gary says:

WHO is the kid in the striped pants? A doppleganger of my child!!!

7. andrea says:

not awkward, awesome! love this photo, great memories

8. Gerry says:

Notice the 2 ring white wall tire? Back in the late 60′s, early 70′s, white walls were works of art. Many weird and wonderful combinations.

9. AJ says:

Hey has anyone realized the kid in the stripped pants is actually a girl??!! Either her hair is pulled back in a ponytail or like me, had her hair cut short during the summer. Digging the cat’s eye glasses and the pink socks with the blue ked sneakers. Boy that could be me on our family vacations but only had the one brother. Craziest trip was mid 70′s, a 3-week cross country trip from NJ to CA because Dad had a conference somewhere like Anaheim. 1 week to go via the Northern route (NY, Dakotas, etc), 1 week in Cali, and 1 week back via the Southern route (NM, TX, etc). Oh yeah, almost forget, no motels for this family, 4 of us in an un-air conditioned 19 ft travel trailer. Nowadays, kids could probably claim child abuse for that kind of trip!!! LOL.

• Susie says:

so did we! and i remember out musty sleeping bags, they were dark evergreen on the outside, and flannel with deer scenes pattern on the interior. And those little boxes of cereal that you cut the flaps back and pour the milk in. We never got sugared cereal so this small peace offering from my father to let us have Frosted Flakes.

10. jersygrl says:

The car was probably wondering what I am…why would anyone leave SoCal to go to Iowa??

11. Frank says:

Makes me think of driving to Travis AFB to meet Dad as he returned from Viet Nam. Anybody else out there visit The Mystery of the Desert? Cost me a brand new Eisenhower dollar to find out what was behind the door…

12. Brian says:

I feel your pain.. it was from CA to UT for me. You had it much worse! Our trek was in a Plymouth Satellite. Air Conditioning didn’t work worth crap… and across the Mojave Desert!

13. diane says:

reminds me of the Brady Bunch w/the wagon & the striped pants. a relative of mine owned a wagon like this one, but it’s gone now.

14. Tom says:

Oh…fudge!

15. ginger says:

Hey, while you were stopped, did you happen to find my suitcase that flew off our car somewhere between Barstow and Albuquerque? It was light grey.

16. Tim says:

Diggin’ the striped bell-bottoms.

17. Mr. Goodyear says:

Looks like the kids are more than a tad perturbed about Dad taking his sweet time!

18. Simon says:

That sun is so bright its hurting my eyes and I’m not even there

19. Mark says:

This could be my family. Three boys (my sister would have stayed in the car), SoCal to the Midwest every summer vacation, and something usually went wrong the first day. Cars were much less reliable then. Tire, broken belt, burst hose, overheating. Always on that first long, hot day across the Mojave without air conditioning. Only difference is that we had a Country Sedan because my parents didn’t like the fake wood on the Squire. In a few years everyone agreed with them. Our 1971 replacement had AC, which also broke, but was a miracle when it worked. The vacations to the Midwest, ours and I’m sure the family in the pic’s, were to visit relatives. Nearly everyone in LA back then had roots in the Midwest. Grandparents left behind on the farm, but visited every year.

20. Davidrh says:

“…And every summer, Daddy taught brand new cuss words. It was an exciting rite of passage.”

21. Mary Tieger says:

summer, desert, flat tire, country squire fake paneling… count me for this hell. we would go to the east coast

22. Anthony O'Neill says:

“That’s the wrong wrench, Dad!”

23. shawn says:

nineteen seventy….three?

24. Snowrider says:

Ah yes the ageless and iconic Ford Country Squire station wagon. We had one…didn’t every family? Our’s went from Grand Rapids, Michigan to Pomona, California in 1967. We even had the window hung, ice packed air conditioner. GAD! It even looks like the Wagon Queen Family Truckster…is that Metallic Pea?

25. DC says:

Since when is a flat tire considered “breaking down”?

26. Just Me Again says:

“My old man’s spare tires were only actually tires in the academic sense. They were round and had once been made of rubber.”

Sorry, it might be almost March but this pic makes me think of the tire changing scene in A Christmas Story (Oooooh FUDGE)

27. Cindy says:

Sounds like my family’s trips to Maine! It was always near the same rest stop!

28. Cierra says:

Classic! Just like the Griswold’s movie!

29. Angela says:

Looks like a scene from National Lampoon’s Vacation. Holiday rooaaaaaaaooooooaaaadddd.

30. jim says:

You went from SoCal to Iowa for summer vacation!?!?

31. Dan says:

Nice to see Mom was being helpful, taking a picture!