Behind The Awkwardness: The Christening

March 19th, 2012

Behind The Awkwardness: The Christening - *AFP Hall Of Fame*

“This was my Christening, June 1971. I’m the baby obviously, my Godmother is holding me, my parents are next to her. Their hideous outfits aren’t the “awkward” part of this photo. In the background, my grandmother is pulling my sister’s hair while my brother is recovering from a smack he got in the face! All of this right on the front steps of a church.”

(submitted by Debbie)

140 Responses to “Behind The Awkwardness: The Christening”

1. Kari says:

Debbie,

The woman holding you looks exactly like my mom did at that age!!! Crazy!!!

2. Carolyn says:

I have tears in my eyes I am laughing so hard. I was a 70′s child myself and got the wooden spoon on the regular. Especially after church!!

• Kristen says:

I’m also a child of the 70s and this hilarious pic brought me right back there! This could have been a shot from my family…christening, mad as hell hair tuggin’ meemaw and all!

3. bud says:

im 82 and I still say yes mam to old ladys

4. anthony says:

Unfortunately, a good smack and a sharp hair-pull are no longer allowed, and this is the downfall of our society because it is SO needed.

5. Toni says:

Yikes! Your grandmother and mine must either have been soul mates or separated at birth =)

6. Liz says:

Hysterical photo… been laughing at this for 15 minutes now. So identify with this “generation.” I was 5 in 1972 and my older brother was 7 and my younger brother was born the same year. Could have been my little bro’s christening, could’ve been my grandmother doing the same exact thing. My how times have changed… LoL. That grandmother would be getting supervised visits with her grandchildren if this were today… This is hysterical!

7. Lisa says:

OMG i just laughed a good 20 minutes at this! I have tears streaming down my face i’m laughing so hard! This is so a testament to my upbringing in the 70′s. Back in the day when a parent can discipline a child in front of a church and the photographer doesn’t even put down the camera! Now a days, you can’t even call a kid a dumb ass without somebody getting offended. Now i’m a grandmother..and bet your ass i’m gonna be caught in a photo smackin’ the hades out of a kid.. but then i’ll be seen on CNN as having been arrested for it. OH well..great photo.

8. Loo says:

omg, Iam dying! gramas ninja like reflexes, classic!

9. Rodney says:

Spare the rod and spoil the child!

Proverbs 29:15 – The rod and rebuke give wisdom, But a child left to himself brings shame to his mother. Ha!

10. Cindy B says:

One of the best AFPs ever!! It was funny at first glance when I thought (mistakenly) that the woman & children in the background were strangers! It became hilarious when I read the caption!!

11. EmilyRose says:

This is my favorite Awkward family Picture on here!!

12. minnemamma says:

I can’t stop laughing about this picture, tears are in my eyes! This was reality for most of us!

It brought back a memory of mine, I was about 9 and mugging terribly for my parents’ new movie camera, making horrible faces, really ugly ones. Suddenly you see out of the corner of the screen a hand come up and smack me on the back of the head! That put a stop to my mugging faces. I don’t remember who did it but it very easily could have been my grandmother.

13. brad says:

oh my! this picture literally made me cry, i was laughing sooooo hard. hysterical!

14. Mary Jo says:

Thank you for the best laugh I have had in a long time. I remember my mother slapping the hell out of us in mass on Sunday. Of course this made me and my sisters laugh even harder which got us in more trouble when we got home.

• Debbie says:

Thanks :) It is a classic pic of my family. We had many other similar “moments” over the years, but sadly, no others caught on film :)

15. Jenny says:

They would have cropped that these days and all we’d see is a smiling adorable family!! HA! Love it!

16. Liz says:

This brought me to tears!!! I swear my family has a smiliar picture swimming around in the photo albums!

17. SDMarklar says:

I just want to say thank you for posting this picture. It never, ever gets old. I come to this page whenever I am in a bad mood and it sends me into hysterical laughter each time. Seriously one of the best pics ever. Hilarious!!!

18. JomochaJo says:

ha ha ha! Epic!!! I once ran away from my dad and he chased me down the road and grabbed my hair blowing in the wind behind me. He caught me and whipped me as the neighbors watched. I don’t even remember what I had done to make him mad. He never made me feel abused!…he was a great father to me and gave me a wonderful childhood.This was in the 60′s.

19. Ginger says:

I am a grandmother…and i have not smacked my grand kids – but have wanted to several times.

20. matt dyer says:

is this in bellwood IL?

21. cutiepatootie says:

Tears are still streaming down my face. This is HI-LARIOUS!!

22. Syxx Monroe says:

OMG! This is the funniest thing Ive seen thus far. My grandma used to put the smack down. I’m fine.

23. Patrick says:

Ah, the good ol’ days!

24. Marie says:

The photo reflects real life as it was back then .. in early 60s my mum would chase us with the mop and wack us if the wooden stick broke we have to walk to the store for a new one ! mum is near 90 now we adore her we didnt consider ourselves abused

25. carol says:

Oh yeah, I had a grandmother like that. Scary.

26. megz says:

She seems like a lovely woman…

27. abcd and then some says:

This is the funniest of all, so far! I love the way you describe everything and most of all, what one sees in the background – so dramatic, so Fellini, so funny!

28. customcartoons says:

Well, I’M not messin’ Grandma! Just sayin. o_O

29. Shadowhumper says:

Wow, reminds me of when I was a kid. :3
    I remember when getting whipped wasn’t considered abusive or psychotic, and if your dumb ass was out of line, it was normal for an mother/aunt/grandma to make a scene trying to chase you down and smack you.
    I’m not being sarcastic, this new hyper-sensitive way of raising kids by not disciplining them
    and rewarding them with transparent positive feedback is stupid, and it’s turning kids into egotistical self-entitled assholes.
    I’m defiantly not saying we should go back to old style physical discipline at all. There are much better ways to train your child.
    But that old style discipline works better than this new bullcrap, in my opinion.

30. Queenbee says:

Little did you know…you were next…

31. joebecca says:

That is one of the funniest pics i’ve ever seen!!! Gramma on the warpath!