Pretty In Pink 5

May 24th, 2012

Pretty In Pink 5 - Behind The Awkwardness

“In the fall of ’85, when I was a junior in high school, a new, slick student asked me to go to Homecoming. I was smitten and immediately said yes. After my mother bought me a rather expensive (and fluffy) dress, the slick boy of my dreams asked someone else and dumped me. I was embarrassed and heartbroken. A few days later one of the nicest and most popular seniors in the entire school asked me to go to homecoming in the hall. While it was painfully obvious that he had been roped into it by a parent or my bigger brother, I agreed to his self-sacrifice. We ended up double-dating with one of the girls in my class and her senior boyfriend, and I had a wonderful time. He even kissed me good night, in that polite, “you weren’t a bad pity day” sort of way that good guys do.

John, wherever you are, you were my red-headed knight in shining armor. And sunglasses. So no one knew it was you who was with me. I bet you turned out wonderfully.”

(submitted by Daphne)

See more glorious 80′s photos in our Rock Of Ages photo contest here.

89 Responses to “Pretty In Pink 5”

1. Lori says:

Can I just point out how rare it is that every single comment here is positive? I mean, this IS an internet comment thread, right? I didn’t make a wrong turn somewhere? :c)

Seriously though, this must be a fantastic community of people. I hope each of you end(ed) up with your own personal Johns! (Wait…but not, like, prostitution. You know what I mean.)

Oh, and by the way…did anyone else start reading the story, expecting the original prom date to turn out to be blind–unbeknownst to Daphne? And the whole asking-another-girl thing was just a big misunderstanding, because he thought he was talking to Daphne the whole time?

No? Just me? Alright then.

2. Ally says:

It kinda looks like he’s fading away à la Back to the Future.

3. Patrick says:

It’s such a shame that sad memories of school tend to stay with us well into our adulthood.

You looked great in the photo and I’m sure there were plenty of guys in your school who would have liked to have taken you to the prom.

I hope all the comments here help to change your opinion about yourself back then.

4. James says:

There is not a damn thing awkward about that pic, and I can only wish that I had been as cool as that guy. Isn’t it funny how few people end up with their prom dates? Yet some do, and I envy those that found love that young and were able to maintain it.

That beautiful young lady really had a wonderfully magical night with a wonderful guy.

5. JJ says:

I was a freshman girl in fall of 1985, and let me tell you this much, YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN ANY GUYS KNOCK OUT DATE!! The dress is gorgeous (even for the 80′s, I am very partial to the color!) everything about you is beautiful and your date, John, is so handsome, although I wish we could see his eyes!!! I’m thinking they are as beautiful as his soul!! I am also thinking, he didn’t ask you as a “pity” date! I’m thinking it was an opportunity of chance and that he had been “dying” to ask you out. Whatever the circumstances now, I hope he has led a happy, healthy succesful life, because it sounds as if he sure started out as decent young man! Would love to hear a follow up to this story!!

6. Maryqos says:

This story touched my heart! I agree with all the positive comments too!

7. Malene says:

To be totally honest, this kinda chocked me up a little, what a touching story and lovely picture! You were gorgeous and I can’t understand why you would think it was a “pity” invite! For whatever the reason, if he DID do it as a favour to someone, that was still sweet of him :)

Hope you both are doing well, and thanks for sharing this piece of your history with us all.

8. Lisa says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one to have been dumped by my date to the formal! My date was the new guy in school, too, and he was unaware of my nerd status. Once he was informed that I was not a cool date, he dumped me and asked out the lead cheerleader. I was too embarrassed to tell my parents so I made him pick me up and pretend he was still my date. We took pictures together and everything. He’s still a jerk, 16 years later.

• stacey says:

Had a guy do that to me too! He was a “cool” guy from a rival school. When he found out I was not one of the popular girls at my school, he dumped me and set his sights on one of the cheerleaders. He ended up marrying a distant cousin of mine and although he is now a successful Nashville promoter, he is still a shallow jerk!

9. Leigh says:

When I first saw the pic, before reading, I thought,
    “Now that is total 80′s awesomeness, I bet they were the most popular couple in school.”
    That photo rocks!

10. Lady Anne says:

Wassa matta with that first fellow? To begin with, I’d think any young man would be glad to take you to the prom, and in the second place, it was absolutely unthinkable to break a prom date for anything short of death. And to show up with somebody ELSE, you were a social pariah for ever.
    You and John both did quite well. (And one thing about those 80′s dresses – they kept the fellows from getting too frisky!)

11. Jake says:

What a jerk! You are a beautiful person, inside and out! And girl, you looked amazing, ESP for 1985!

12. Hannah says:

I love this story and photo. The girl is so pretty, the other guy was crazy. As for Mr Shades – what a knight in shining armour.

I live in the UK. Nowadays, American style prom events are a regular part of high school life here. Back in 1985, I was at high school and we didn’t have proms. I don’t know whether I am relieved or rather sad that I missed out on that particular rite of passage.

• JerseyPam says:

I guess we can no longer blame proms on the UK.
      (Totally kidding Hannah, my maiden name is Mills.)

13. Candace says:

What a great story, i really wish you the best!

14. Zing says:

You’re beautiful, he was gallant, the other guy was a jerk. I’m sorry the guy hurt your feelings. Best to you.

15. Liz says:

Like almost everyone else here, I was as touched by the story as the picture. A hex on the guy who was “too cool”. And you sound like you turned out just fine!

16. Nadine says:

This story is one of the reasons I check this website out all the time. Please do a follow up on this story. I wanna see if he responds!

17. babette says:

OMG! Thank u for that story:) I happen to think that u are absolutly BEAUTIFUL! Like another person said on here… ” even with the 80s style” :) still very pretty

18. Stacey says:

Thank you so much for sharing the pic and the story!!! I truly hope that if you have a young boy in your life you are teaching him about being a gentleman! And by the way…he may have been the most popular seniors, but he couldn’t have done any better for his prom date! You my dear, look mahvelous, absolutely mahvelous!

19. aunt jemima says:

I agree with the others, the woman is absolutely beautiful, even with the 80s style going on. Both of you were lucky to have each other that night.

20. Molly says:

Instead of “Behind the Awkwardness”, this one should read “Behind the Awesomeness”. That looks very much like my prom dress. Thanks for sharing!

21. DKNYC says:

Good guys FTW! And seriously, you were, and probably still are, a very beautiful girl.

22. Root 66 says:

…and John went on to a successful career in the Secret Service!
    He looks like he should be talking into his sleeve or something.
    Everyone’s right, though, that’s no pity date by any stretch of the imagination!

23. ro says:

HE is the lucky one! Is it just me, or do they look much older than highschool?! When I was a bartender, I would have served them without asking for ID.

24. hugh.c.mcbride says:

Easily the best photo/story combo I have seen here on AFP. How cool that you have both a fantastic photo & a very sweet memory from this day.

25. Kristie says:

Great story!! John sounds like a good guy, although I’ll agree with all the others and say I don’t think it was exactly a “pity” date on his part. :)

26. DC says:

Sweet story. Pretty dress. Pretty girl.
    Did you google him?

27. Randy says:

I’d say he was one very lucky guy!

28. Cait says:

I hope this makes its way to John. I wish there were more guys like him out there!!

29. Susan says:

Not sure what I like more….the picture or the story!! I’m really digging the dress. REALLY!!!! You can take the girl out of 1985, but……

30. Kay says:

I’m going to check back here every day until John leaves a post!

31. Reggie says:

I don’t know why that was a sacrifice. You’re hot! I would have loved to have taken you to homecoming in 1985!! I was a Freshman in college, then, but I would have been honored to have you as a date. The slick guy was clearly a moron.

32. Jenn says:

“Donger’s here for 5 hours and he’s got somebody; I live here my whole life and I’m like a disease”

Best movie ever!!!

And BTW, the guy you dumped you was a jerk.

• MsChilePepper says:

Wrong movie! You quoted Sixteen Candles; Pretty in Pink is a different Mollie Ringwald movie.

• Tim says:

16 Cs and PiP are both great movies in their own way. Very different from one another once you get past the surface similarities, but great stuff.

• Jenn says:

I realized that right after I submitted my post. Yikes! The “what’s happening, hot stuff” quote from further down the page got me off on my tangent.

I keep checking back, too, to see if John responds, it’s a sweet story. The situation itself may have been awkward but the photo isn’t. Theyd fit right in at my junior prom in ’84. :D

33. Chris says:

He was obviously just trying to look cool with the sunglasses; he was, after all, on a date with one of the hottest chicks in the school!

34. Patti says:

You’re very pretty! He did okay for himself. The sunglasses were just to look “cool.” You made a handsome couple!

35. Simon says:

1, 2, 3, big breath, and.. click

36. Avonlea says:

Your date looks like he’s a floating head with hands! lol! But I agree with the others… sacrifice on his part!

37. Maxine says:

That’s such a sweet story! LOL, it explains the sunglasses…but he shouldn’t have been embarrassed to take you, you’re gorgeous and you seem really nice yourself!

38. Red says:

John reminds me of James Spader in Pretty In Pink! This is an awesome story to go along with this pic!

39. Tammi says:

The story make the photo even better. I’m sure he turned out just fine. You sound like you did, too.

40. CC says:

You are beautiful! Why would you have had to be anyone’s pity date? I don’t get it.

I have a pink satin dress very similar to that from my junior prom (I graduated in 1984).

Great story, good on ya!

I agree with Elena–I would have been jealous of your hair, too! You totally rocked the 80s look.

41. Ruthanne says:

“I like your sleeves. They’re real big.”

42. Eliza says:

… You know, I like the dress. I think I want it.

43. Drew says:

This is one of the most awesome posts I’ve seen on AFP.

44. Jon says:

Oh what a horrible fate to have to take someone gorgeous to the prom. Yup, a big personal sacrifice on his part. Are you kidding me?? There must have been a hundred guys afraid to ask you because you were too good for them!

45. How sweet says:

I love that story. That was really sweet of him and not a bad picture.

46. Kristen says:

Aww, that’s a sweet story. Those high school dance days were pretty awkward for most of us, I think. And I think that’s a very cute dress, for the 80′s!

47. Frau Blucher says:

that is really a sweet story and that guy was a real good dude…he kind of has that Kevin Bacon thing going. As for the dress…well….it was 1985. What’s happening, hot stuff??

48. Shannon says:

She’s so pretty! Who wouldn’t want to go with her?

49. Elena says:

Great story! Typical 80′s style. Don’t know why the first guy dumped you or why anyone would be embarrassed to take you to prom; you were (are?) quite pretty. I would have been envious of your hair, back in the day! :)

50. Bonnie says:

Awe, what a sweet story to go with the picture. I don’t think this is awkward at all (well, maybe the sunglasses LOL).
    What a great guy John was to step in and I think you look absolutely beautiful in this picture!