July 12th, 2012

Dachic-y - Family Portrait

Before there was The Gap.

(submitted by Anne)

25 Responses to “Dachic-y”

1. Stephanie says:

OMG – I had a Dashiki!! I thought I was too cool!!!

2. Elaine says:

There is something I love about this family!

3. Lori says:

I know that look well, my sister always wears it. It says, “I am the best mother in the whole world, and look how perfect my children are. I am the best! No one is a better mother than I am, and you can tell by how happy we all are. Look at me! Look at my children!! They are the best children in the world, because I am the best mother!”

4. Caroline says:

My husband had that same shirt the kids are wearing when he was in high school (1979). He broke it out and wore it for his 50th birthday party. It was a 60s themed party and he got a giant Afro wig and grew a beard. Hilarious! Wish I could post his picture here!

5. Janey says:

I wish these pics had dates. I’m guessing this one is about 1976….?

6. Simon says:

I think Dad might be a social science lecturer

7. bored@work says:

I had that shirt when I was a kid and my mom would have to fight me to make me take it off! I got it a Busch Gardens, Tampa. It was in a gift shop outside of Stanley Falls Flume ride and they called it a Dashiki. Too cute. Thanks for the memory.

8. Pinkie says:

I find this picture quite funny because it’s usually the mother in the family that orchestrates what they will wear. But she’s wearing a simple grey sweater when everyone else is wearing loud! I wonder if she’s silently chuckling inside thinking “30 years from now everyone is gonna ask ‘what are they wearing?!’”
    But I agree, the kids are cute and it is a nice picture. But one thing- why is one child wearing yellow turtleneck and other kids wearing black? Are the black shirt the boys and yellow is the girl???

• penny says:

I agree, do you see the little bit of the sort of almost smile going on with her…it is pretty smug. She knows what she is doing, let me tell you ;)

9. D says:

The kids are adorable! I could be wrong, but I *think* those are Lapp outfits, from northern Scandinavia. The dad’s shirt, on the other hand…words fail me.

10. Julie says:

Oh man! I used to have that shirt. Got it at Goodwill in ~1989. I wish I still had it! It was my favorite shirt.

11. Junebug says:

This picture reminds me of the many missionary prayer cards we had hanging on our fridge when I was a kid. Perhaps it’s the shirts on the kids, but I feel the need to go pray for these people now. :)

• Biribi says:

Oh man! Now that you mention it I totally see it!! XD it’s like they are wearing the traditional clothes of the nation they are missionnary to…!

12. liz says:

I think this picture is adorable. Yep, the shirts are “Hippie looking”… but they all look so nice; like the kind of family everyone likes. The kids are cute as the dckens (can’t tell tho if they are all girls, or if there’s one boy in the bunch… darned uni sex hair cuts ala Dorothy Hammel). I think mom is quietly beautiful…& how many sweaters did I have like that?? Dad looks like a nice mild dweeb… & resembles a man I knew in the past. All in all this picture makes me smile…a good way to start the day.I wonder what they all look like now.

13. Robin says:

Forget the kids, check out Dad’s shirt. Epic.

14. LIa says:

I loved this picture… the kids (all girls? Or is the one kid a boy? Can’t tell) are adorable. Mom is simply beautiful.The man looks like someone I knew years ago…though no doubt there’s lots of “look alikes” running around out there. And yep, the outfits are a bit “Hippie print” but they still are fun & kind of nifty in “for that time period” way.

15. Cheryl says:

Very “Brady Bunch” – adorable!

16. Kootie says:

please tell me the parents were in the peace corps in africa… no, wait- that still doesn’t make this right…

17. Laura says:

I think this is adorable! The kids are too cute! Mom doesn’t look too thrilled, though…

18. Tim says:

The kids’ outfits match the book spines on the fake backdrop. Awesome.

19. Ruth says:

The look on the mom’s face is priceless. It’s like a private secret between she and the photographer & they both knew this picture would land on AFP one day.

• Morgan says:

Haha, so right!

• krissylyn says:

No, that smug smile on Mom’s face is because she dutifully dressed her kids in the shirts Grandma/Mother in Law sent, and went and had a family picture taken, not before, however convincing husband to wear something almost as “colorful” as the kids’ shirts, while she played it safe with her grey cowl neck!

• Janey says:

“between HER and the photographer”