Get Into The Groovy

July 23rd, 2012

Get Into The Groovy - Behind The Awkwardness

“This was taken in the Fall of 1970.  My dad was studying for a PhD in Theatre, so he was taking a costuming class.  For some reason, he decided that it would be a good idea to make the family matching outfits.  Apparently, I was the only one brave enough to show my true feelings.”

(submitted by Milaka)

27 Responses to “Get Into The Groovy”

1. Will says:

This picture is clearly from a time when companies were experimenting with “alternative” fabrics, and by alternative I mean stuff that would probably be deemed unsafe by current safety standards. Too funny though.

2. Heather says:

I always thought Fred had a thing for Daphne, but apparently he married Velma. Where’s the Mystery Machine? Scooby-dooby-doo!

3. bigband says:

My (honest) disco band all had jump suits of a similar alien material, unfortunately none of the photos survived. Milaka glad you are making progress :)

4. mayrose10 says:

My mother had an outfit just like this but the material was plaid wool and she wore it on purpose.

5. algonquin says:

This is beyond awesome. I love the outfits and you are downright adorable! Your mom is rocking a truly fantastic hair/glasses combination. Thanks for sharing and for the backstory.

6. Milaka says:

Dad has since clarified that this ensemble was one of his projects in costuming class. He assured me that this was the only time that we were seen in public in these outfits.

Bex, my theory is that I was trying to fake the broken ankle so that they wouldn’t drag me out into public. It didn’t work.

I would also like to point out that the photo was taken in a trailer park. The story just keeps getting better.

My therapist is pleased with my progress.

• Mary2 says:

This is just the best. Key phrase that you are not taking advantage of : Costuming Class. “Well,my Dad MEANT to do it. He was trying for “traveling Evangelical singing group” and he nailed it. Show some respect. That is DR. DAD to you!”

• Nicole says:

this site and these pics made my WHOLE entire night. hahahaha. can’t stop laughing… and love the comment about your therapist and your ankle! glad there are other ppl in this world who have the same goofy humor as me! :)

7. Sara Mc says:

Milaka, you have the cutest pouty face I’ve ever seen! Love the pic. Thanks for posting.

8. Bex says:

The outfits are so fabulous that no one noticed the little girl’s broken ankle.

9. Wendy says:

HA…this is my theatre professor…oh, the memories. :)

10. KR says:

Rockin the ascot

11. Snowrider says:

Didn’t the Bradys dress up like this and sing some song about sunshine and puppies or something?

12. LisaPizza says:

Your dad was pretty wicked with the sewing machine, Milaka! Could’ve made the costumes for the Partridge Family.

13. Jeff D. says:

LOOK! It’s everyone’s grooviest, hippest, 1970′s superhero family! The Funky 3! Can You Dig It?

14. mrs5180 says:

I must say the outfits ROCK! Please tell me they’re folded up in a cedar chest somewhere! Milaka, you’re face is adorable LOL

15. Scout C says:

Purple crushed velvet for me back in at that great moment in time! And I LOVED it!!! Groovy, baby!

16. Andrea says:

Considering the year, it could have been much, much worse! And you look adorable. A little annoyed, but still adorable.

17. Lisa says:

Groovy! I love Mom’s hair and glasses! And the child’s expression is priceless. LOL! I really like it when they explain the story behind the photo. :)

18. Fred says:

I was alive at that great moment and I most assuredly did NOT have an outfit like that. And Mom doesn’t look overly thrilled about the whole affair herself.

19. Peter says:

But didn’t all of us alive at that great moment in time have outfits just like that?

• JanG says:

absolutely, Peter… not necessarily in triplicate though :D

• Liz says:

I know I had something similar; minus the pointed shirt color & scarf. Hey… I probably thought I looked pretty groovy! I fully recall wearing “those” glasses, & wanting beyond all measure to have “granny glasses” like the kind John Lennon wore. These days I see kids wear those heavy clunky glasses for fun & fashion…& it just makes me giggle inside.