Countdown to Halloween: Jelly Belly

October 30th, 2012

“When I was little, my mom decided to dress me up as a bag of jelly beans. Looking for cheap costume ideas? This one consisted of a transparent trash bag from under the kitchen sink and some balloons.”

(submitted by Andy)

24 Responses to “Countdown to Halloween: Jelly Belly”

1. Karen says:

Great costume, very creative mom!

2. Krista says:

It’s the $0.59 that gets me.

3. Des says:

I also had this costume as a child. I made it for my daughter when she was a kid too. :)

4. Kathy says:

I dressed up for a contest like this in the 80′s. I was 20 something. I thought it was great, I even wore colored tights. But did not think it through. Could not go to the bathroom all night without losing balloons and sitting down was impossible. Let me not forget to mention it was a contest at a local bar, where we were drinking.

5. elva says:

HA, i made this costume for myself in 6th grade, needless to say everyone looked at me funny. I thought it was cute at the time but didn’t attempt to wear it out trick or treating after the looks i got in school….
    and yes, i had found the idea in a magazine or something…

6. Clay says:

My mom made this costume for my little sister one year, and she def won the costume contest haha

7. Danielle says:

My mom forced my brother and I to dress like this one year. It was THE WORST Halloween ever.

8. Lisa says:

Hey! I thought I was the only one that had to be that one year for Halloween. Whew! :-)

9. XJ says:

I can’t believe you people who think this is CUTE.
    Kids want to dress up as characters that they admire. They want to emulate Batman. They want to be Princess Fiona. They want to be a fierce tiger, or a cool football player from a team they adore.

They don’t want to be a freakin’ bag of food. Dressing up as a product off the super-market shelf is just not cool.
    Who the heck wants to be a bag of jelly beans? No one admires a bag of jelly beans, and kids don’t want to emulate a bag of jelly beans. This is just mean to the kid! ;P

10. Denise says:

I can top that one….my mom dressed me up as a gumball machine. Same plastic bag, ballons- except it was around my arms. In school.

11. kelly says:

i was dressed like this for one year too

12. Kathy says:

I did that in college! But it definitely looks cuter on a little kid and I couldn’t sit down the whole party without popping a balloon.

13. jhgonzo says:

I actually saw this costume on several different people at different times throughout the 1980s. I bet it originated in some kind of housewife publication or something.

14. Sanddi says:

Wow! I really, really like this! Your mom was awesome

15. Deborah says:

This is an awesome costume. One Halloween when I was a kid, I worked on my costume for weeks, while my friend had no idea what she was going to be – right up to Halloween afternoon. When she showed up at my house to go trick-or-treating with me, she was wearing this costume, which her mom had flung together at the last minute. It was so much better than the one I’d been obsessing over, and I knew it right away (it was confirmed by all the oohs and ahs she got). I completely forget what costume I wore that year, but I remember hers.

16. CB says:

THIS is what Halloween is about! DIY….I wish people still did these things, are we just lacking creativity today, or just lazy??

17. Oh my, I did something similar as a kid, I was a gumball machine! It was a little technical though. Thumbs up for super creative diy costumes and our moms!!!

18. jaklumen says:

I agree with the others that this is a pretty creative idea.

19. Simon says:

So, you didn’t think it was such a great idea

20. Ajax says:

That costume speaks volumes and is an inspiration. Compliments to your mother.

21. hedge says:

this is pretty clever, actually. cute too.

22. pittipat says:

At least my mom made me a paper grocery bag costume. Her mom did it to her. Hmm…why haven’t I tortured my kids yet?

23. Lori says:

That’s really really cute! I would so do that to my children!