Sour Sixteen

January 15th, 2013

Sour Sixteen - Birthdays

“Our loving mother scheduled our youngest sister’s wisdom teeth extraction on her sixteenth birthday. Here she is celebrating afterwards. Cake, anyone?”

(submitted by Ashley and Kelsey)

31 Responses to “Sour Sixteen”

1. Michael Cyr says:

My 8th birthday had my tonsils out

2. Steph says:

I had to have all 4 taken out at once in 1981 when I was 16 – all impacted. My parents made me go to the hospital to have it done because my cousin had died right in the chair while having hers pulled. Granted, it was 1975, and she was allergic to almost everything under the sun, my parents weren’t taking any chances. And I do remember the HUGE chipmunk like maxi pad ice thingies hanging on both sides of my face! It was awful. My sister had to go to the hospital too 4 years later for hers to be extracted. I def feel for this poor girl, and def think the mom could have picked a dif day, but thank goodness she’s alright.

3. paul inks says:

WOW! Why on the birthday? Well I guess it could not be helped and I perfectly understand as a parent myself.

4. Jimmy Stetler says:

Here’s to all of us who grew up with a passive-agressive mother! CHEERS!

5. Tim says:

“It’s like pulling teeth to try to get her away from the TV…”

6. scooter says:

Had my wisdom teeth out 2 at a time it was Hell. Perhaps mom could have scheduled it for a day or week later.

7. Amanda says:

Molly Ringwald thought she had a rough 16th birthday.

8. Hannah says:

Poor kid – I remember having my wisdom teeth removed and it was horrid.

I was scheduled to have a colonoscopy (i.e. camera up my bum) on my wedding day but managed to rearrange…

9. Kez says:

I had all four of my wisdom teeth out on the day before my 17th birthday. My parents had nothing to do with scheduling the operation date, though. The date was scheduled by the hospital.

The anasthesiest (sp) wished me a happy birthday just before he knocked me out.

10. Christina says:

It must be a mom thing. My mom did the same thing to me for my 16th birthday, and she made me go to school the next day with a face like a chipmunk.

11. Jan says:

Poor kid. I think her parents would have had better judgement on the scheduling.

12. LCN says:

Really, Mom?? There wasn’t not one other date on the calendar this could have been done on? Smells like someone was trying to get out of planning a Sweet 16 party.

13. Carlos says:

Poor thing. I hope she learns her lesson and doesn’t schedule her honeymoon during *that* time of the month, which is precisely what one of my friends did…

14. Eli says:

Loved the picture….it says it all. And from others’ comments, I think everyone can relate at some level.Must be a kind of universal. 3 yrs ago, just prior to a SUPPOSED vacation, Xmas, & flying across the country, I slipped on the ice & severely broke my ankle. No trip except for one to do surgery. It was a horrible Xmas in the hospital & due to a blizzard, no one could make it in to visit on Xmas. Literally the only thing Xmas-y was a paper place mat under my runny mashed potatos & institutional turkey meal. And yep, I had a one person pity party! Funny now, to be sure…. but it wasn’t then.

15. Deb says:

Woke up on my 13th birthday with the worst case of mumps. 44 years later you’d think I’d be over it. Kicker – working in the health field my titer test came back that I never had the mumps and had to get 2 shots. Yes, I will have cheese with my whine :-)

• AJ says:

Try being 3 months old and your dear sweet older brother comes home from a birthday party with CHICKEN POX! Yes, my poor mother had 2 very sick children under the age of 5 to deal with. Since I was so little I had no immunity and had them everywhere including inside (down my throat, in my ears). I still remind him every chance I can get about his dispicable deed. And yes I’ll join you for some cheese with the whines.

16. Eileen says:

For my 33rd birthday, I celebrated with my regular gyno visit. Yay.

17. Lee says:

Oh, wow. I can relate. Had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed on my 21st birthday.

18. GW says:

Poor thing! LOL I had my wisdom teeth out when I was about 19 or 20, back in the late 1980′s. I remember the ice packs looked like giant white maxipads with blue clips on the ends. They had long tie strings for tying them around your head. Ugh!

19. Lisa Beharelle says:

Insurance doesn’t always pay for these extractions. She doesn’t know it, but it might have been one of the best presents she could receive.

• Biribi says:

For sure, but it would have been nice to wait for the next day to do it, and still be able to have a decent party and avoid the use of a blender for the birthday cake ………. ;-)

20. Julie says:

That is really a mean thing to do.

21. AllisonWonderland says:

I think this is the only thing that could have made my 16th birthday worse. I hope her next birthday was better.

22. chuni says:

She’ll live…

23. al says:

And mom or daughter did not think to reschedule said surgery?